Author Topic: Holding the ball  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Re: Holding the ball
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 09:02:01 AM »
I think all the umpires over the weekend didn't give a poo.

Starting Friday night with the bad centre bounces which in the end they just let go and kept favouring Geelong and ending yesterday by screwing us over again.
Can't say im too unhappy with the Geelong thing lol.  They were on the raw end of the free count in the end though.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 09:10:45 AM »
I agree the umpiring was bad but I don't believe in blaming the umpires for results because as I said we cannot control that

But we can control Jackson's braid fades, Graham being non-competitvie in marking contests, Dea not blocking for Rance, 4 blokes going up in marking contest and no-one staying down or having blokes front & square... there the things we can control but didn't

I will repeat I thought the umpring was poor but I don't tihnk it cost us the match

I feel like a whinger, and it is usually bad form to blame the umps, I just have never seen such a lopsided season when it comes to interpretations.  The only explanation I can think of is that perhaps they think they are doing us a favor because we are too proud to tank...lol

You weren't in Perth - worse display of umpiring I've seen in years  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 09:15:52 AM »
Yeah Gragra is a bit of a fumbler.  Dunno if it is fixable, but how old is he now?  The problem is he can't mark or kick straight for goal... and his ruck work is only just serviceable at best.  Jackson does a lot of hard work then spoils it all in a heartbeat because he drops his focus.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 02:01:55 AM »
I'm not blaming the umps for the loss as we cost ourselves what should have been a win thanks to poor workrate from our forwards to hold the ball inside 50 and a poor defensive effort from our midfielders.

However I just watched Geischen's 'What's your Decision?' video clip on the AFL site and not one umpiring decision was mentioned from our game. Now given the AFL media blokes asked fans every Monday on twitter to suggest umpiring decisions for Geisch to explain and there were stacks of replies from Tiger supporters all asking about the holding the ball non-decisions, then either the AFL or Geisch has just snubbed all the Tiger supporters which is pretty gutless.

In any case the only thing I took out of the video clip [Rodan incident] is that Geisch and the AFL have now totally flipped 180 degrees the interpretation of 'prior opportunity'. Now you are allowed to run and bounce the ball as far and as long as you like, breaks tackles, and even after that if you are run down and tackled it'll still be called 'play on' if you can dispose of the ball legally in the tackle. Geisch said we want to "protect the ball player". Ah Geisch whatever  happened to rewarding the tackler as we've done for 100+ years in the game  ::). Sorry but Rodan avoiding two tacklers and then getting tackled to the ground by the third one should be automatically holding the ball.

Who was number 23 for the umps?
Umpire No.23 was Robert Findlay.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 02:05:06 AM »
why are you always awake man? get some sleep. eff the Geish

That McBurney or whatever his name is will die soon.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 08:43:29 AM »
LOL Davey, don't hold back mate!