Author Topic: Richmond help fulfil Nate Anderson’s dream [merged]  (Read 3176 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Birthday surprise: Jake’s happy to be King of the kids (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »
To be fair to the co-authors of the article, it was the HS editors who added in the extra lines, not the journos.
Then the club should make the loudest possible protest at those lines being added.

The article should be there for the family to keep.

They don't need totally irrelevant rubbish being added onto by the editors!!!!!

Very poor form from a vey poor newspaper.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 04:31:18 PM »
pretty gutless, really, to add a cheap snipe like that when someone else has their name to the article.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 08:08:45 PM »
As crictical a lot of us have been over our great club this year, its times like this you sit back and think yeah we are the best club in the land.

Absolutely brilliant, classy stuff RFC.

Proudly, Richmond till I die.
Go Tigers!

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 06:53:33 PM »
Dont u see the irony?

This is Kingy.
Flew HIMSELF to pick up the boy and flew them both back etc.

They treat king like poo.
Always have.
Yet they're in for the photo op asap!!!

As for editors adding the sensationalist lines - what a crock of poo
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 07:08:35 PM by one-eyed »
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2014, 06:38:54 AM »
A fantastic thing done by King and the Club. I hope the boy had a fantastic day and that this helps him and his family fight this dreadful disease. Agree totally with the comments about the standard of journalism re: newspaper article. King and King contributed to the community newspaper didn't.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2014, 02:04:10 PM »
Seems us OERite's aren't the only ones who think the Hun a pack of low-life scumbags for that disgraceful addendum to Nate's story.  A petition has been started on change.org:

https://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/herald-sun-apologise-to-the-anderson-family-and-jake-king

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 11:06:08 PM »
Nate and Jake

Jake King and his teammates made it a dream come true for seriously ill, young Tiger supporter Nate Anderson late last week. Richmond flew Nate and his family to Melbourne, so he could be a special guest at last Saturday's clash with St Kilda at Etihad Stadium.

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2014-07-03/nate-and-jake

:)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2014, 07:06:21 AM »
Nate and Jake

Jake King and his teammates made it a dream come true for seriously ill, young Tiger supporter Nate Anderson late last week. Richmond flew Nate and his family to Melbourne, so he could be a special guest at last Saturday's clash with St Kilda at Etihad Stadium.

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2014-07-03/nate-and-jake

:)

Implore everyone to watch it, simply brilliant  :clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2014, 04:38:59 PM »
Very touching stuff. Always raises the hair on my neck. Its the stuff alot of people don't see the players do & it does affect the players & all involved. Great stuff Jake King & the RFC  :clapping

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2014, 04:45:42 PM »
thats really poor of you Bruce Matthews to write that end piece on a kids story. SHAME SHAME SHAME thats real slum journalism

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 08:18:46 PM »
Watched it during my lunch break at work.  Not the best place to watch something that emotional!!  Well done RFC and well done Jake King.  And that's the reason I can't ever walk away from this club despite their best efforts to frustrate me to madness.  They are something special in my life - now, then and always.

:gotigers :gotigers :gotigers :gotigers :gotigers :gotigers :gotigers :gotigers

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2014, 08:56:37 AM »
Watched it during my lunch break at work.  Not the best place to watch something that emotional!!  Well done RFC and well done Jake King.  And that's the reason I can't ever walk away from this club despite their best efforts to frustrate me to madness.  They are something special in my life - now, then and always.

:gotigers :gotigers :gotigers :gotigers :gotigers :gotigers :gotigers :gotigers

Yep  :clapping
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2014, 11:33:27 AM »
Just saw this ...

Must confess to tearing up ...

Never been prouder of the Tiges.

Pure class in this instance

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 01:15:59 PM »
RFC email:

Earlier this season, Jake King and the Richmond players met special Tiger fan Nate. Now we need your help.

Richmond has entered the video of Jake and Nate into the Virgin Australia Film Festival, to show that Everything’s Possible when it comes to the impact that football can have on a special Tiger like Nate.

Like, share or comment on the video of Nate and Jake – if Richmond’s video wins, the Club will use the prize of international flights to send Nate and his family on a holiday to the US.

Help us make Nate a winner.

Click here to share the post on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond help fulfil Nate Anderson’s dream .... (Foxsports)
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2016, 03:15:02 AM »
Richmond Tigers help fulfil Nate Anderson’s dream

Sarah Olle
Foxsports.com.au
May 26, 2016

WHEN the Tigers ran out on to a rain-soaked Subiaco Oval on Friday, they were accompanied by their adopted mascot, Nate Anderson.

Despite having a prosthetic leg, Anderson burst on to the ground, belying his six years and battle with leukaemia.

In doing so, he achieved his dream of running through the Richmond banner with the players who had been so instrumental in lifting his spirits during his cancer battle.

One of those players, Jack Riewoldt, said Anderson was now a part of the furniture at the club.

“He’s been our little warrior over there for the past four years now,” Riewodlt told AFL 360.

“The club’s sort of adopted him and they look after his family.”

Anderson first came to the Tigers’ attention when they received word the young supporter was preparing for the fight of his life after a leukaemia diagnosis in 2014.

Former Richmond player Jake King flew over to Perth to meet Anderson and his family before paying for them to come to Melbourne for Anderson’s birthday. After the match — a win against St Kilda — the entire team sang happy birthday to their biggest fan.

Since then, Anderson has defeated cancer, but lost his leg through infection. Now a prosthetic limb adorned with Trent Cotchin’s face takes its place.

“Nate and his family are a part of the Richmond family now,” Riewoldt said.

“Whenever we go to Perth, we catch up with his family, he comes to training and he ticked off one of the things on his bucket list, with getting out there and running on the ground with us.

“It’s really rewarding as a player to be able to provide something like that for someone who’s having a tougher time than you are.

“Especially for some of our younger guys, who are drafted at 18 ... they get to see people who are less fortunate than themselves and they get to learn a lot from it about themselves through people like Nate.”

While footballers are seldom acknowledged for their charitable work, four time premiership Hawk Jordan Lewis said the benefit players reaped from that kind of interaction was reward enough.

The veteran midfielder said it put winning and losing into perspective.

“Maybe when you’re not winning and you’re not playing as well as you’d like to, you’re getting bashed in the media and bashed by everyone ... these kids just love the day,” he said.

“And that’s why footy clubs are so good, too, because we can bring kids in and give them an experience they wouldn’t get otherwise and just make them happy for the day.

“It takes them away from the illness they’re actually going through.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/jack-riewoldt-says-nate-anderson-is-part-of-the-richmond-family/news-story/ba48c52809b03488b435142c9e748588