Author Topic: Rance happy with Tiger debut (RFC)  (Read 876 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rance happy with Tiger debut (RFC)
« on: February 27, 2009, 05:59:12 PM »
Rance happy with Tiger debut
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen
Fri 27 February, 2009

KNOWING something is one thing. Experiencing it is another.

That was the reality of Thursday night’s NAB Cup fixture for Richmond youngster Alex Rance as he played his first game at the top level.

Rance was good in his debut in the yellow and black, gathering 16 touches, snaring two marks and laying a couple of tackles.

But despite being no stranger to AFL football – the 19-year-old is the son of former West Coast captain Murray Rance, and has been on Richmond’s list for a year – he admitted the big-time was still an eye-opener.

“It was a very quick game – quicker than I’ve ever played in before,” he told richmondfc.com.au after the match.

“The hits are a lot harder, and everyone says that to you, but it takes a lot of time for it to click in, before you actually realise that it is.

“My first half was relatively good, but in the second half, I started to waver a bit.

“They linked up pretty well through the midfield, so it was pretty hard to defend, but I thought it was a reasonable start.

“I’m looking forward to building on this as a sort-of stepping stone.”

The shape of Richmond’s backline took on a much more settled appearance last year, making it that much tougher to break into, but last year’s best-and-fairest at Coburg (Richmond’s VFL affiliate) said the extended backline was a tight group.

“It was very easy to slip into there – they’re very directive and they look after you. If you’re not in the right place, they tell you where to go.

“There’s a lot of competition down there now, but we don’t hold it against each other, we make sure that we try to better each other, and it’s a very good feeling.

“It urges you to do better – it reflects down to our VFL side as well, if we can push harder as a defender in a VFL side, then we can make a difference in the senior side.”

Having had a taste, Rance wants more, and soon, preferably next Friday night in Shepparton.

“I hope that I can get another opportunity at this place – I’d like to get to know it.”

Coach Terry Wallace was clearly happy with the debutant.

“I thought he was nice and solid first up,” he said after the match.

“He’ll get opportunities, and if he plays like that, he shows that he really wants to perform at the next level.”

http://richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/72623/default.aspx

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Rance happy with Tiger debut (RFC)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 07:37:55 PM »
He's quite cute isn't he?  Too young for me but there's always mini-me.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 07:47:01 PM »
........Too young for me but there's always mini-me.

By that do you mean you in a mini-skirt Julz?    :o

Tigermonk

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 03:03:35 AM »
........Too young for me but there's always mini-me.

By that do you mean you in a mini-skirt Julz?    :o

No please dont  :rollin

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 08:36:22 AM »
No - lol.  I mean Mini-me who is my daughter, who by the way has lovely long, tanned legs and would look great in a mini-skirt.  I think it was bg25 who named her mini-me when she met her.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 05:37:36 PM »
No - lol.  I mean Mini-me who is my daughter, who by the way has lovely long, tanned legs and would look great in a mini-skirt. 
Sounds like a shameless piece of advertising :lol

Edited to correct quote
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 09:04:58 PM by WilliamPowell »

Offline tiogar

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 01:01:12 PM »
Good first half nd difficult second....story of the game and mirrored Cousins himself.

In analysing the match and espccially the fade out it is important to keep in mind that noobs like Alex were always going to find it tough against a more or less full and firing Magpies.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 02:59:31 PM »
I liked what I saw on thursday night but he is still competing with Moore,Thursfield and McGuane for a spot IMHO.He might have to wait for an unfortunate injury to get a regular game this year.He sure is a handy player to have up our sleeves.
Unleash the tornado