Author Topic: The Draft should be sooner  (Read 1294 times)

Bulluss

The Draft should be sooner
« on: October 25, 2004, 04:02:00 PM »
I think that the AFL needs to change the timelines that currently exist regarding the draft.

All clubs should have had to lodge their lists already and the draft should be done before the end of October. This would allow the young recruits to know exactly where they are going and take the pressure of most of the ones doing VCE. They would not be subject to full training until their exams where over but have the peace of mind regarding their future.

Thoughts?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: The Draft should be sooner
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 04:12:36 PM »
I thought the reason they moved the draft to mid-November was not only because of the VCE in Victoria but also to work around the other states school calendars as well.

I think the list lodgement date is linked to when most player contract ends - 31/10/04

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 04:42:32 PM »
Totally agree Bull.  I think the reason they pushed it back was so it wouldn't interupt the exams of the kids as it was held during exam week or so.  Exams are usually in early November.  Have the draft in early to mid October and then they would have a good 2-4 weeks to settle down and complete their exams knowing which club they are going to.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

froars

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 05:40:10 PM »
Leave it in November - nothing else is happening then, and by the time it comes around we might be excited about something.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 10:50:02 PM »
I thought the reason they moved the draft to mid-November was not only because of the VCE in Victoria but also to work around the other states school calendars as well.

I think the list lodgement date is linked to when most player contract ends - 31/10/04

That's what I thought WP. I also think it gives clubs the opportunity to see what condition their players come back in after their leave. I know one of the reasons Shackleton of the Pies got delisted today was because he turned up to the first day of pre-season training out of shape. A bit like Ricky Mott of the Swans a couple of years ago.

I'm partly in two minds about this but would lean to leaving the dates as they are. For kids that do get drafted having an earlier draft would give them piece of mind about their footy future. However for the kids that don't, especially those as we've seen in the past that thought they were a realistic chance but were overlooked, they may feel so devastated at missing out on their dream that picking themselves up so soon after for VCE exams would be bloody tough.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd