Author Topic: AFL threatens to sue fan over video  (Read 3681 times)

Moi

AFL threatens to sue fan over video
« on: June 13, 2007, 08:28:53 AM »
THERE haven't been many highlights for Richmond fans this year, but those that do exist have been removed from an unofficial club website.

The AFL has threatened to sue the supporter behind the website for infringing the broadcast rights of its internet partner, Telstra.

The site, puntroadend.com, is a non-profit forum run by 50-something Tigers obsessive Rosy, who says she was stunned to receive a threatening letter from the league last month.

The letter, seen by The Age, warns her to immediately remove video footage from the unofficial forum. Short clips of individual highlights had been recorded from television and posted on the site in an area called "TigerTV."

"They have sent this letter citing legal principles and threatening to sue, which is really sad and very heavy-handed," she said.

The letter accuses the site of "unauthorised broadcasting", says that the league is committed to "vigorously defending its rights" and demands that the footage be removed and the site cease posting new clips.

When Rosy telephoned the author of the letter, she says the response was "extremely nasty".

The offending material has been removed from the site, even though Rosy believes she may be legally entitled to show small clips of footage under copyright law if it is for purposes of criticism or review. "We think that is what we are doing and we would like to test it, but there's no way I can afford the legal costs of fighting the AFL and Telstra," she said.

While the site is non-profit it can attract up to a million hits a month, providing unwanted competition for the league and the club's official Telstra-run site. The AFL signed a five-year, $60 million, internet rights deal with Telstra last October but the official website has attracted plenty of criticism recently — accused by talkback callers and Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett of being slow and unreliable.

AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said the deal with Telstra was extremely important for football. "The money from that is shared between our 16 clubs and obviously a contribution goes to grassroots football," he said. "We work very actively to ensure that agreement, which benefits every level of football, is protected."

The club refused to comment yesterday.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/afl-threatens-to-sue-fan-over-video/2007/06/12/1181414305270.html

Moi

Re: AFL threatens to sue fan over video
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 08:31:31 AM »
The AFL really are destroying this game.  I can't imagine how a few video clips that last only a couple of minutes can do the AFL any harm at all.
An unlikely ally  :lol but I agree with Rosy for sticking up for this cause - the AFL are the pits.
Would luv to put some on here, but just not worth risking litigation any more - the powers that be want to destroy everything  :banghead

Ox

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 12:43:38 PM »
I would strongly suggest fans post as much footage on youtube as possible.

LMAO@ The afl taking them on.

LMAO@ The afl trying to control the new additions,daily.

Moi

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 12:47:41 PM »
Wouldn't the AFL have to sue Youtube "in the US", even though Aussies have put it on?
I'm not sure it's that easy for the AFL to sue them - will be an interesting exercise and hope it's followed through because they're just a pack of wowsers  :banghead

Moi

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 12:48:56 PM »
And is it extended to filming your own footage of AFL games?  A while back you weren't allowed to take cameras into the 'G, so i'm wondering if they've got control over that as well.

Ox

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 01:05:35 PM »
dont get me wrong...I hate Rosy's fat guts but i hate the afl more :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 01:25:32 PM »
And is it extended to filming your own footage of AFL games?  A while back you weren't allowed to take cameras into the 'G, so i'm wondering if they've got control over that as well.
Yep. No movie cameras allowed. I think you're only allowed to take still shots but then again the AFL may have banned that as well  ::).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Piping Shrike

• Premiership Captain
  • Nothing today
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 02:23:22 PM »

"providing unwanted competition for the league and the club's official Telstra-run site" - if they don't want competition why don't they produce an actual, useful website rather than a collection of ads and associated rubbish - someone might visit it.

Ox

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 02:42:13 PM »

"providing unwanted competition for the league and the club's official Telstra-run site" - if they don't want competition why don't they produce an actual, useful website rather than a collection of ads and associated rubbish - someone might visit it.

hre here,

that website is the most unprofessional thing I've seen.

I love the way Bigponf users ONLY have access to replays  :wallywink

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 02:46:54 PM »
Well said PS.

Personally, between here and footy wire, I don't really need to visit the AFL site anymore. I only go on the occasional Thurs night to check the named sides in aid of my dreamteam, and if anyone's got any tips on where to get them apart from afl.com I'll be able to avoid it altogether!

Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 02:51:17 PM »
"The money from that is shared between our 16 clubs and obviously a contribution goes to grassroots football,"

I wonder how much coin Richmond actually gets to be forced to participate in this crap website.
I also wonder how much better off Essendon is for providing their own site.
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 02:54:21 PM »

And the Telstra run sites have got worse (if that's possible) since they were outsourced it. They are designed for Telstra to gain customers and make money out of them. That's why only bigpond customers can view the games and other video and that's why they are all under stringent copyright. Being a member of the Club means stuff all to them and the AFL only care about getting the $60m off Telstra for the "privilege"  :chuck so they side with Telstra. If you're a Collingwood supporter with bigpond you can view the footage of Richmond games but Richmond members without bigpond can't. You can't even subscribe anymore. It's a joke and always has been since Telstra took over.

There must be some poor quality of service out clause in the contracts each club signed. Then again the Club probably just looked at the bottom line too  :-\.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 03:07:15 PM »
Well said PS.

Personally, between here and footy wire, I don't really need to visit the AFL site anymore. I only go on the occasional Thurs night to check the named sides in aid of my dreamteam, and if anyone's got any tips on where to get them apart from afl.com I'll be able to avoid it altogether!
sportal.com.au or bigfooty's mainboard using has all the teams.

"The money from that is shared between our 16 clubs and obviously a contribution goes to grassroots football,"

I wonder how much coin Richmond actually gets to be forced to participate in this crap website.
I also wonder how much better off Essendon is for providing their own site.
Essendon's site is paid for via sponsorship. I think Ch 7 or yahoo or a combo of both.

Telstra pays $60m to the AFL for the right to host 15 club websites plus the AFL's one. If some of the money is going to "grassroots footy" then perhaps each Club is getting something around $2-3m or thereabouts.

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 03:52:01 PM »
I think we should sell some OER T-shirts and donate the proceeds to help with her legal expenses, her stress levels must be through the roof, got to feel sorry for ............................................

;D

*scoff* *cough*

I'm sorry but personally I couldnt give a flying ...... you know what, the AFL are control freaks we all know that, but they dont realise they are taking on the biggest control freak of them all.
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Ox

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 05:02:59 PM »

LMAO @ That.

As for grass roots football - i had a kick at a primary school on the weekend and nearly smashed 7 discs in my back,
just from running on the surface

The nurturing of GR Football is a myth/tax dodge.