Author Topic: Nathan Broad [merged]  (Read 93491 times)

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Re: Pick 67 - Nathan Broad
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2015, 08:53:05 AM »
Rance was apparently beaten once

How em does that help your silly argument? Whatever that may be

Geez went on a rampage once too and it did not diminishe his reputation.
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2015, 09:07:13 AM »
Rance was apparently beaten once in the last two year between winnig aa chbs

Bach is consistently beaten by key forwards and rucks larger tha. Him   He struggles on smalls too

The difference is significant
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2015, 11:23:27 AM »
Nathan Broad

Player bio
Former club:   Swan Districts
Height:   191cm
Weight:   83kg
Position:   Defender

Callum Moore

Player bio
Former club:   Calder Cannons
Height:   192cm
Weight:   86kg
Position:   Forward

hoipfulyl chaplin never plays again  :clapping

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2015, 04:52:24 PM »

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2015, 11:17:35 PM »
Not gunna bag the kid good luck to him.
I"m just disappointed we did not take the best available imo,  or  address some serious, greater  needs.Both Burton and Collins  were available and people know how much i have gone on about our talls over the years.

I suppose the flip side is we have finally made a heavy investment on a sml fwd.
needed a sml fwd - check
needed speed - check
needed a tall defender - check
need another ruck - hopefully we rookie one
i'd say we have drafted for need....

is he too small to play key defender ?
at around the same size as Batchelor i'd say yes, more a 3rd tall option that can play on sml's too

Batch is 188cm and this Broad dude is 191cm (if the sources are correct). Not much difference but with the added athleticism he ideally will be a better option to play as a tall defender (3rd tall is still a tall)
Birchall is 194cm and is very much a running player who just happens to be tall. . Broad is 191 and is a running player  who like Birchall just happens to be tall.At 83kg he will have to spend significant time in the gym if we want to turn him into a tall defender.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2015, 03:15:14 AM »
Broad's beginning ...

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2015-11-28/broads-beginning

* It was great. All the boys welcomed me really well. They were all good - they got around me and Oleg straight away. They’re an unreal club – you can tell already with the culture.

* Richmond weren’t really on the target to be honest.  Once a few of the clubs that I thought were the main interest passed, I thought I’ll start preparing for Friday's rookie draft and hope for the best. To get my name called out, third last pick of the draft, was a bit of a shock. I wasn’t really paying attention. When I heard my name, we (his family and friends) just looked at each other and everyone started celebrating.  It was a bit unreal to be honest. It’s finally sunk in, now that I’m here and training.

* It’s the first time I’ve ever done a 3km time trial.  I’m normally used to 2km time trials. It was a bit of a challenge but I just tried to figure out where I’d be with one of the boys. Good to get it done, knuckle down and try to put some size on in the gym.  I’m pretty happy with my time, so if I can improve on that then I’ll be stoked.

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2015-11-30/tigers-strike-a-chord-with-broad

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2016, 02:25:25 AM »
“’Broady’ was actually one of my good mate’s apprentices, so I’d met him before he was even drafted,” Alex Rance told Roar Vision last week.

“He’s definitely put in a good impression towards all the playing group so far.

“He works really hard, again reminds me a bit of myself from Swannies - he’s a bull at a gate.”

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-01-18/apprentice-broads-appeal

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2016, 01:33:12 PM »
Mature-age recruit Nathan Broad has been particularly impressive, continuing a trend of older draftees to make their mark at Punt Road Oval. 

The 22-year-old defender looks a "ready-made AFL player", Hardwick said.

"It's amazing those guys who have missed out on drafts, (Kane) Lambert was the same, you wonder how these guys don't get drafted," the coach said.

"They work incredibly hard and they're very thankful for the opportunity.

"You just hope they repay the faith."

Source: AFL website

tony_montana

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2016, 10:41:50 PM »
Batch upgrade?  lets hope

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Broad's odds narrowing for round one Tiger debut .... (afl site)
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2016, 11:02:33 PM »
Broad's odds narrowing for round one Tiger debut

AFL.com.au
February 17, 2016

PLAYING on star teammate Jack Riewoldt all pre-season has given mature-age Richmond recruit Nathan Broad a gilt-edged chance to now push for a round one debut.

Broad has been one of the Tigers' best trainers this summer and the West Australian will be unveiled in front of family and friends in Friday night's NAB Challenge clash against Fremantle in Mandurah.

It will be a chance for the 22-year-old to stake his claim in a backline that is rife with competition between medium and tall defenders. 

Hard work has played a big role in the apprentice plumber's emergence this pre-season, as has some valuable tutelage from the Tigers' leading goalkicker.

"I've been playing on Jack for most of the pre-season and in the match simulation stuff and he's been great," Broad told AFL.com.au.

"I like to take the best player if possible to better myself.

"Playing on Jack, he tells you where he doesn't like defenders to stand and what makes life difficult for a forward, which helps a lot.

"He's a very good forward, so if you get the chance to play on him you can learn a lot of things."

At 192cm, Broad concedes three centimetres to Riewoldt – and 180 games of AFL experience– but he has been able to showcase his speed, clean ball use and composure consistently.

He was particularly impressive in the Tigers' most recent intra-club match, showing he can also be used as a rebounding player.

"High-speed running and endurance is my strength, so I try and play to my strengths and use that in games," he said.

"Back home I was a rebounder defender, I'd try and get the touches as well as lock down on my man so I think I'll have a similar role here."

Getting a chance on an AFL list at 22 means Broad is willing to do "whatever the coaches ask" in training.

It's an approach that paid off in his time at WAFL club Swan Districts, where coach Greg Harding cut to the core with his feedback in 2014, while Broad was playing reserves.

"He was absolutely brutal in telling me what I needed to hear … that I wasn't being composed and I was just blazing away," Broad said.

"He wouldn't play me at league level until I fixed it, so I just worked on my composure and hitting targets and had a good pre-season."

Broad went on to play 20 league games in 2015, averaging 20 possessions and re-emerging as a draft prospect.

Training is naturally more intense now and the AFL game plan needs to be studied, but the Dongara product is feeling comfortable at Punt Road Oval.

"If I keep trying to improve every day at the club, I can't see why I can't play round one," he said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-17/broads-odds-narrowing-for-round-one-tiger-debut-

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2016, 07:50:27 AM »
Went alright last night and should slip very nicely into Bachelors role. :thumbsup
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2016, 08:31:05 AM »
Which game was everyone watching?

Lost every marking contest! Had 6-7 goals kicked on him!

Astbury should be in Batchelors' spot!

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2016, 09:55:08 AM »
Which game was everyone watching?

Lost every marking contest! Had 6-7 goals kicked on him!

Astbury should be in Batchelors' spot!

Lost every one on one contest he was involved in however, provided great run of the HBF. He is not an AFL key position player yet and should only be played as a hard running HBF until he learns how to use his body in a contest and gets a bigger body. Plays a similar role as Grimes not Batch.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2016, 01:57:56 PM »
Thought his first half was poor, struggled with the pace of the game

Improved in the 2nd half but thought he stuggled on the bigger bodies

Was OO but based on last night would not warrant a game in round 1

I do expect however, him to play all 3 NAB games to try and fast track his development
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2016, 03:54:53 PM »
Don't like that kicking action of his
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do