Author Topic: Science thread [merged]  (Read 79675 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Science thread [merged]
« Reply #210 on: December 10, 2014, 10:20:58 PM »
now this raises something i have never considered before.
i cant recall any such reports including people hearing a sonic boom...
which of course rewrites some laws of physics
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

dwaino

« Reply #211 on: December 10, 2014, 10:29:30 PM »

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #212 on: December 11, 2014, 06:53:39 AM »
now this raises something i have never considered before.
i cant recall any such reports including people hearing a sonic boom...
which of course rewrites some laws of physics

Does light create a sonic boom? Snipers bullets? What if I'm on a plane that is travelling 2kph below the speed of sound and I run at 10kph up the aisle?

I guess what I'm asking is what matter and under what circumstances does the sound barrier apply? I think it has to do with a build up of air pressure so if you alleviate this as a physical object it may be possible.

If there are exemptions to the rule then I'm sure any advanced civil would have worked it out.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #213 on: December 11, 2014, 09:29:26 AM »
light is not something that causes air waves as it moves, therefore it does not cause a sonic boom. it has no mass to displace the air around it.

bullets that travel fast enough do cause a sonic boom, albeit small.

if you run down the aisle of an aeroplane at 10km per hour you are travelling at 10kmph, regardless of how fast the plane is travelling as long as it is travelling a constant speed. you will be travelling faster than the speed of sound relative to the ground, but not to the inside of the plane and therefore will not displace the air within the plane faster than the speed of sound, therefore no sonic boom.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

dwaino

« Reply #214 on: December 11, 2014, 10:23:39 AM »
Giorgio Dooksalos

Pretty sure Dooks is trolling with that one, especially with the light comment. No one weighing into this topic would be such a noddy and Dooks is a cool dude. Also the disregarding or a complete misunderstanding of the Doppler effect.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 10:48:44 AM by dwaino »

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #215 on: December 11, 2014, 11:49:12 AM »
I reckon from now on instead of having discussions Dwayne can just keep posting that picture and Angus can keep saying 'illuminate.'

How scientific

:bow :clapping

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #216 on: December 11, 2014, 03:57:34 PM »
Does light create a sonic boom?
A sonic boom is created when an object travels faster than the speed of sound. Sound requires a medium (such as air or water) to move through (hence the expression 'in space no one can hear you scream' as space is a vacuum). As an object speeds up you get a Doppler effect whereby the sound waves in front of moving object bunch up (high frequency) while those behind are spread out (low frequency). It's why with F1 cars you hear the eerrrrrrrrrrrrrr then nahhhhhhhhhhh as they pass by. Once an object hits the sound barrier these waves in front 'merge' and form a shock wave as the airflow no longer can adjust to an object moving faster than the sound it is creating.

Light is different. Nothing physical travels faster than the speed of light (otherwise you could have time travel to the past) and light does not require a medium to move through (as proven by the Michelson & Morley experiment in 1887 which disproved any existence of an 'ether').
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

dwaino

« Reply #217 on: December 11, 2014, 05:32:43 PM »
My favorite explanation for doppler is still the one I learned in high school. Imagine a boat on the water. If it is traveling very slowly it will produce waves in all directions. The ones in front of the direction the boat is traveling will be shorter and higher frequency then the longer and slower ones out the back. Now the boat hits full speed. There is nowhere in front of the boat for waves to propagate so instead you get some splash at the front and wake from behind the boat.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #218 on: December 11, 2014, 05:37:47 PM »
Are physics consistant across time/space/ dimension s but? I believe not for quantum physics for example

What about black holes? Perhaps the aliens have something we are not aware  of.

We rrecently thought life was not possible in space. Chernobyl, under water vents etc. And have been proven wrong for example

My original point which you have distorted; if you want hard proof outside of the alien sitting down and having dinner with you. Could beuunlikely from the gov. May have power implications

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #219 on: December 11, 2014, 07:43:48 PM »
Giorgio Dooksalos

Pretty sure Dooks is trolling with that one, especially with the light comment. No one weighing into this topic would be such a noddy and Dooks is a cool dude. Also the disregarding or a complete misunderstanding of the Doppler effect.

;D
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #220 on: December 15, 2014, 04:05:32 AM »
Are physics consistant across time/space/ dimension s but? I believe not for quantum physics for example
If you are asking if there one grand unified theory of physics then the answer is of course not yet. Quantum physics and general relativity don't yet reconcile as there is no quantum theory for the gravitational force. Einstein's theory of general relativity is a classical (non-quantum) theory. This is why things such as string theory and loop quantum gravity are looked at.

Having said that, the fact there isn't a G.U.T. of everything, doesn't provide a counter-argument to argue that there's aliens out there with superior knowledge protected or hidden by some U.S. government conspiracy.

Unless you've watched the cult sci-fi movie 'The Black Hole' too many times, real black holes are objects with such large mass that they distort spacetime so much that not even light can escape let alone any 'aliens'.

We rrecently thought life was not possible in space. Chernobyl, under water vents etc. And have been proven wrong for example
Space is a vacuum at 3 degrees kelvin (-270 C). Good luck finding anything surviving unaided (no spacesuit) in that environment.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #221 on: December 15, 2014, 07:23:04 AM »
If you are asking if there one grand unified theory of physics then the answer is of course not yet. Quantum physics and general relativity don't yet reconcile as there is no quantum theory for the gravitational force. Einstein's theory of general relativity is a classical (non-quantum) theory. This is why things such as string theory and loop quantum gravity are looked at.

Having said that, the fact there isn't a G.U.T. of everything, doesn't provide a counter-argument to argue that there's aliens out there with superior knowledge protected or hidden by some U.S. government conspira
cy.

Unless you've watched the cult sci-fi movie 'The Black Hole' too many times, real black holes are objects with such large mass that they distort spacetime so much that not even light can escape let alone any 'aliens'.

Space is a vacuum at 3 degrees kelvin (-270 C). Good luck finding anything surviving unaided (no spacesuit) in that environment.

But there is an overwhelming amount of quotes from early generation astronaut cosmonaut presidents defensive cheifs nuclear missile dudes etc.  Seeminly ingorned as its rather inconvenient

Just the kind of people you wouldn't expect to be jokers

Not to mention unlimited accounts by less creditable humans. Such as the 200 witnesses of the 1966 Clayton incident...

Some pretty decent YouTube videos.
Such as the ISS live feed being
Cut just as the UFOs rocked up ..
Stories by former presidents seeing them in jets / ww2 accounts / nuke sites being turned on / off by unknown sources

I reckon i fairly arrogant,/to dismiss the possibility due to; we couldn't understand why they would be here, or how they got here adduction people on occasion and not many them self formally known to Dwayne beyond reasonable doubt.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 07:42:07 AM by Judge Roughneck »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #222 on: January 15, 2015, 10:49:50 AM »
New calculations support dark-matter discovery by DAMA, say physicists.

A controversial claim by the DAMA group that it has detected dark matter in an underground lab in Italy might turn out to be true after all, according to physicists in Europe and the US. The new research reconciles the claimed detection with apparently null results from other experiments, as well as indirect astrophysical evidence. It proposes that dark matter interacts with ordinary matter not via one of the four known fundamental forces but instead through a fifth force mediated by an axion-like particle.

Dark matter is an as-yet-unknown substance that does not emit electromagnetic radiation but which numerous observations suggest makes up at least 80% of the matter in the universe. DAMA, a collaboration of physicists from Italy and China, says it has directly observed dark matter in a sodium-iodide detector located beneath Gran Sasso mountain east of Rome. The basis for its claim is a seasonal variation in the number of tiny flashes of light that should occur when dark matter collides with nuclei in the detector. The group argues that this variation – which peaks in June and has a minimum in December – is just what would be expected as the Earth moves through a "halo" of dark matter surrounding the Milky Way.

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2015/jan/12/new-calculations-support-dark-matter-discovery-by-dama-say-physicists

dwaino

« Reply #223 on: January 15, 2015, 12:41:23 PM »
Confirm this and so many of the other pieces fall into place :clapping

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #224 on: January 15, 2015, 12:49:09 PM »
Confirm this and so many of the other pieces fall into place :clapping