Author Topic: Shane Edwards [merged]  (Read 271084 times)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Re: Shane Edwards [merged]
« Reply #1425 on: August 03, 2014, 01:11:28 PM »
He s been sneaky good titch last 10 weeks m he won't be going anywhere , one of our few speedsters  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

the claw

« Reply #1426 on: August 03, 2014, 01:31:23 PM »
for me a typical edwards season. and a typical edwards game
its funny he plays a game  at an acceptable level which he does every now and then and hes a great player ppppfffftttt.yesterdays game was nothing great it is where he should be at all the time we should not be accepting anything less because anything less is mediocrity.

so this yr is typical 6 or  7 games where hes played at the required level, nothing outstanding but where he needs to be all the time. bit like this week.  then theres games where he does some good things but doesnt do enough, then theres games where it is terrible.

he has never in his career shown any sort of consistency and this is because no player can play at their best all the time.
imo edwards best is passable its at a minimum you want for a bloke his age nearly  26yo and experience 140 odd games. but anything below his best sees him drop into mediocrity far too often.
at his best hes a C grader trouble is we only get his best in short bursts.

someone said he should be the one up for trade and he is right.

its funny there are people who think the list is okay and thats fine me i think them a bit deluded.then theres a group who openly say the list needs work and we have plenty to do to be a top and eventually a premiership chance. yet its this group that makes me wonder. they defend blokes who really cant take us further knowing we have to turn over players. its like they know the list needs lots of work but dont want to see players cut. i reckon the club itself is a bit like this. constanly kidding themselves.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1427 on: August 03, 2014, 06:03:42 PM »
for me a typical edwards season. and a typical edwards game
its funny he plays a game  at an acceptable level which he does every now and then and hes a great player ppppfffftttt.yesterdays game was nothing great it is where he should be at all the time we should not be accepting anything less because anything less is mediocrity.

so this yr is typical 6 or  7 games where hes played at the required level, nothing outstanding but where he needs to be all the time. bit like this week.  then theres games where he does some good things but doesnt do enough, then theres games where it is terrible.

he has never in his career shown any sort of consistency and this is because no player can play at their best all the time.
imo edwards best is passable its at a minimum you want for a bloke his age nearly  26yo and experience 140 odd games. but anything below his best sees him drop into mediocrity far too often.
at his best hes a C grader trouble is we only get his best in short bursts.

someone said he should be the one up for trade and he is right.

its funny there are people who think the list is okay and thats fine me i think them a bit deluded.then theres a group who openly say the list needs work and we have plenty to do to be a top and eventually a premiership chance. yet its this group that makes me wonder. they defend blokes who really cant take us further knowing we have to turn over players. its like they know the list needs lots of work but dont want to see players cut. i reckon the club itself is a bit like this. constanly kidding themselves.
Agree with this.  :thumbsup
The club that keeps giving.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #1428 on: August 03, 2014, 06:12:53 PM »
At least some of the doubters are now starting to see the light.

No way 8 years in the system with the odd bit of brilliance hardly enough.

Never done that sort of stuff against the elite teams or those that seem to beat us all the time ie,

Hawthorn, Sydney, Collingwood, Geelong.

A bit hollow when his best isagainst Brisbane and GWS.

He is less than a glass half full.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #1429 on: August 03, 2014, 08:28:11 PM »
He is the glass and a half out of half a litre and has Julius Sumner Millers endorsement.  It's just that not many people know how many mls it takes to make it
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1430 on: August 04, 2014, 02:30:32 AM »
Is that the same light you see regarding titch being a superior player to dusty?  :help

I've never said that. Nor have I ever said Shane is a great player.
However he's a heck of a lot better than some pencil dicks here painted him as. 8)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1431 on: August 04, 2014, 07:30:08 AM »
agreed

biggest definition of a downhill skier you will find in our whole side.

goes missing in the games that matter
A bit like Lids  :shh

Kind of although I think half lids issue is our coach and what he does with him

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

tony_montana

« Reply #1432 on: August 04, 2014, 11:34:21 AM »
Is that the same light you see regarding titch being a superior player to dusty?  :help

Not in exact words, but you lay the boots into Dusty at every opportunity you get and have made no secret you think we must trade him, yet you laud Edwards re-signing..

However he's a heck of a lot better than some pencil dicks here painted him as. 8)

He's actually not.. 10 consistent weeks of footy this season and 1 solid season a few years back is the only reasonable footy he's played, the rest has been rubbish.

At least these 'pencil dicks' give credit where its due, unlike some pinheads that won't.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1433 on: August 04, 2014, 01:55:59 PM »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1434 on: August 04, 2014, 04:15:59 PM »

tony_montana

the claw

« Reply #1436 on: August 04, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »

his game on the wekend how do you rate it.  brilluiant,  very good  acceptable sub par.  tto me this is one of his better games and it was acceptable.  as i said his best is good solid citizen. unfortunately he drops way below this for big chunks of every season.  think about it magic we have a 26yo or close to it nearly 150 game player and we are still talking about basic s with him.

you know what at 26 he should be a leader both on fiels and off. he should be at a good consistent reliable level. he doesnt have to be an a grader.  like houli like grigg like a few others we must do better. is he the worst player on the list???  no, but is that really a good excuse to retain him for so long.
you know you mat say people are just picking on him but when so many so constantly criticse him do think theres nothing to it but people picking.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1437 on: August 04, 2014, 09:26:40 PM »

his game on the wekend how do you rate it.  brilluiant,  very good  acceptable sub par.  tto me this is one of his better games and it was acceptable.  as i said his best is good solid citizen. unfortunately he drops way below this for big chunks of every season.  think about it magic we have a 26yo or close to it nearly 150 game player and we are still talking about basic s with him.

you know what at 26 he should be a leader both on fiels and off. he should be at a good consistent reliable level. he doesnt have to be an a grader.  like houli like grigg like a few others we must do better. is he the worst player on the list???  no, but is that really a good excuse to retain him for so long.
you know you mat say people are just picking on him but when so many so constantly criticse him do think theres nothing to it but people picking.
These type of players are generally inconsistent for most clubs unless they are genuine A grade star. And there isn't many in the game. It's a tough gig to play half forward/pocket. And even tougher playing that roll in our side with the way we have moved the footy.
You are harsh on Edwards IMO but that's your opinion. He is no star but he does play some pretty good footy. IMO he would be picked from 10 to 13 in our side. Heaps of other duds to go before him.
How's about we start at the bottom and work our way up?
If we traded him I wouldn't loose 1 minute of sleep but he would have to be worth a second rounder.
He is better than you give him credit for.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1438 on: August 04, 2014, 10:17:56 PM »

Claw I honestly think his game was pretty good and he was one of our best. Some may see it differently.
Think he's starting to show some good form in a midfield role over the past couple of months and is having a real impact on our resurgence.
Believe he is very happy to be playing this genuine mid role as he was starving on a forward flank earlier in the season when the whole team was struggling, particularly out of the middle.

His much maligned foot skills this season are just about the best I have ever seen it.
Particularly for goal. Without fanfare has kicked a whole heap this year without missing.

I think he's still got improvement left in him too. Particularly as he's now spending regular time on the ball. Strong enough now to no longer be getting pushed aside easily and improving his endurance with every passing pre season.

Shane's one of our few who can make stuff happen from not much. Call it X Factor if you like.
Dusty is another but we don't have too many of them.
It's one of the reasons we have to be tolerant of their mistakes because they're looking to create rather than just paint by numbers.
As for any comparisons Dusty's a far better attacking player but Shane would cover a lot for him defensively too.

To the chagrin of a few he won't be traded anywhere.
He's well liked off field, is rated for what he does on field by his peers and was happy to sign with the club for 2 years a few weeks back.

I honestly think Shane gets a raw deal by a lot of Tiger fans. Many still look at him through dark glasses from a few years back and are stubborn with their view of him. That can be hard to shake and often they fail to see the good he does.

If we can upgrade him in time great but he's well entrenched in our current best 22 these days and I expect will be for some time yet.

the claw

« Reply #1439 on: August 04, 2014, 10:37:57 PM »

These type of players are generally inconsistent for most clubs unless they are genuine A grade star. And there isn't many in the game. It's a tough gig to play half forward/pocket. And even tougher playing that roll in our side with the way we have moved the footy.
You are harsh on Edwards IMO but that's your opinion. He is no star but he does play some pretty good footy. IMO he would be picked from 10 to 13 in our side. Heaps of other duds to go before him.
How's about we start at the bottom and work our way up?
If we traded him I wouldn't loose 1 minute of sleep but he would have to be worth a second rounder.
He is better than you give him credit for.
yeah well on this one tone we are gunna disagree.
he hasnt played much as a fwd the last 2 seasons.  so on thayt i dis agree.  i have 5 levels for players and for me edwards is in the bottom 2 levels. players a re called good solid citizens because while not worl beaters they perform consistently at a good standard. edwards has periods where he plays at the level then invariably it all drops away. good players are not inconsistent borderline players are.
anyway we disagree seems im banging heads with everyone lately.  seems this happens more when we win than when we lose.