Author Topic: Shane Edwards [merged]  (Read 271205 times)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Re: Shane Edwards [merged]
« Reply #1725 on: April 25, 2015, 01:48:34 PM »
It's good to see an ordinary player improve at Tigerland to become a decent consistant player for us.
Maybe he has the cure.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1726 on: April 25, 2015, 01:49:34 PM »
His pressure is enormous as well. He went non stop at a few contests in a row and was gassed out when he fluffed that kick.

No doubt your right he would have been more fatigued than 15 others. All he needed to do was slow it down & get a few breathes. That's the problem with alot of them when they play catch up footy. They blaze away in hope someone else will do the hard work for them. l like Edwards game & also Griffiths. l was very impressed with Griffiths dishing it out when he was set upon & he came out on top. So Dimma must be doing something right down there cause Edwards, Griffiths, Rance & some others have lifted

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1727 on: April 26, 2015, 01:15:27 PM »
His pressure is enormous as well. He went non stop at a few contests in a row and was gassed out when he fluffed that kick.

No doubt your right he would have been more fatigued than 15 others. All he needed to do was slow it down & get a few breathes. That's the problem with alot of them when they play catch up footy. They blaze away in hope someone else will do the hard work for them. l like Edwards game & also Griffiths. l was very impressed with Griffiths dishing it out when he was set upon & he came out on top. So Dimma must be doing something right down there cause Edwards, Griffiths, Rance & some others have lifted

Yeah no excuse to stuff a kick that badly but at least he had a few good things to hang his hat on. Used to do that much more frequently IIRC and it's good to see it's not as common

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #1728 on: April 26, 2015, 01:24:57 PM »

right onto it, i sometimes wonder if some posters actually watch the game..  Was a standout game from sheds

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1729 on: April 28, 2015, 08:11:05 PM »
Shane sets a shining example

richmondfc.com.au
April 28, 2015

Amid the gloom of Richmond’s disappointing loss to Melbourne at the MCG in last Friday night’s Anzac Day eve clash, one Tiger player shone like a lighthouse . . .

Shane Edwards was the Tigers’ best player by the length of the ‘G, finishing with 24 disposals, including 16 contested possessions, seven clearances, six inside-50s, five tackles and two goals in a performance that further underlined his growing importance to the Richmond line-up.

“He was a real positive,” Richmond assistant coach Ross Smith said on ‘The Richmond Review’ immediately after the game.

“Shane’s just been terrific, not only the way he’s been playing, but also the way he’s been leading as well this year.”

Read more and the full article at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2015-04-28/shane-sets-a-shining-example#sthash.50i5DtuZ.dpuf

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1730 on: April 30, 2015, 02:12:01 PM »
Titch is 9th overall in the AFL Coaches Association Award:

AFLCA Player of the Year leaderboard

33 – N. Fyfe (Fremantle)
29 – D. Shiel (GWS)
22 – D. Hannebery (Sydney)
21 – R. Sloane (Adelaide)
20 – T. Goldstein (North Melbourne)
20 – T. McDonald (Melbourne)
19 – C. Hooker (Essendon)
19 – S. Pendlebury (Collingwood)
17 – S. Edwards (Richmond)
16 – J. Kennesy (Sydney)
16 – J. McGovern (West Coast)

http://www.aflca.com.au/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond’s Dreamtime at the ’G jumper tightens family ties for Shane Edwards

Sam Edmund
Herald-Sun
May 20, 2015

SHANE Edwards was relaxing at his parents’ house in Adelaide over summer when the club email landed.

As one of only two indigenous players at Richmond, the Tigers wanted to know which one of four proposed Dreamtime at the ’G jumpers he liked.

He chose one and then thought nothing more about it. Until recently.

“We didn’t know the significance of it until (director of Richmond’s Korin Gamadji Institute) Belinda Duarte revealed­ the background and I was like, ‘Oh my God, that’s amazing’,” Edwards said.

“I’m so happy with the one I picked because I thought that was the best one without any other agenda.”

Richmond’s 11th Dreamtime at the ’G guernsey was designed­ by Edwards’ 15-year-old cousin Derek Summerfield, part of an extended family of which Edwards has been aware for only two years.

The Herald Sun documented Edwards’ emotional journey of discovery in early 2013, when the Tigers’ pre-season trip to Alice Springs allowed him to travel to the tiny Aboriginal settlement of Santa Teresa­.

Edwards, 26, finally was able to repair the family disconnect as he walked around the home of his ancestors. Santa Teresa, 80km outside Alice Springs, was home to Edwards’ great-grandmother Elsie Summerfield, a member of the stolen generation.

In Round 9 (May 30) against Essendon, Edwards will wear a jumper that honours his two families.

“The significance is huge because it’s my family’s heritage as well as the Richmond Football Club in one piece of fabric,” he said.

Edwards, whose shyness prevented the Tigers and AFL from becoming aware of his indigenous heritage for the first 18 months of his career, now feels complete.

“Knowing, just knowing is pretty huge. I know a lot of indigenous people don’t go that far back in their heritage so I’m very privileged,” he said.

“I guess it just makes everything clearer. I can put a place to a picture and they ask me questions now. I’ve got my grandmother (Monica) asking me questions when that would never happen on this topic.

“It means heaps, even if it wasn’t indigenous round. But it’s 80,000, Essendon, the build-up of the week and this year I’ll have my family all there and Derek as well.

“Every game you’re full buzz, but you just find that little­ bit extra for Dreamtime at the ’G. You feel like something you can’t generate in another­ game, I reckon.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmonds-dreamtime-at-the-g-jumper-tightens-family-ties-for-shane-edwards/story-fndv8t7m-1227360635208

Offline Zlatan

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1732 on: May 20, 2015, 12:51:50 PM »

33 – N. Fyfe (Fremantle)
29 – D. Shiel (GWS)
16 – J. Kennesy (Sydney)

lol

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #1733 on: May 20, 2015, 11:27:05 PM »

33 – N. Fyfe (Fremantle)
29 – D. Shiel (GWS)
16 – J. Kennesy (Sydney)

lol

Are you laughing at the J.Kennesy spelling error?

Offline Zlatan

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1734 on: May 21, 2015, 10:07:14 AM »

33 – N. Fyfe (Fremantle)
29 – D. Shiel (GWS)
16 – J. Kennesy (Sydney)

lol

laughing at titch being the 9th best player in the league

what a champ

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1735 on: May 27, 2015, 03:55:02 PM »
Shaun Burgoyne the model for Tiger Edwards

Nathan Schmook 
afl.com.au
May 27, 2015

RICHMOND midfielder Shane Edwards modelled his game on three-time premiership half-back Shaun Burgoyne, but in the process he has become one of the Tigers' most important centre square players.

Edwards, who is in his ninth season at Punt Road, leads the Tigers for centre clearances this season and has lifted his clearance average from 3.26 in 2014 to 5.0 this season.

The 26-year-old will be a key player in Saturday night's Dreamtime at the 'G clash against Essendon, but not in the role he set out to master.

"Coming from Adelaide I always looked up to Shaun Burgoyne," Edwards said on Tuesday.

"He was one of the best players in the competition and still is now, so I tried to model my game on him.

"It's pretty hard though because he's so bloody good."

Edwards spent a large chunk of his career as a small forward and took on a coaching role pre-season, leading drills with the club’s young forwards.

Despite his increased centre square role, he has still managed to average one goal a game this season.

Saturday night's Dreamtime clash will be a special one for Edwards, whose cousin designed the jumper that Richmond will wear.

It also presents a chance for the Tigers to cement their strong form for the past fortnight at a packed MCG, with the Victorian powerhouses averaging crowds of 64,203 in the past 10 years when they meet. 

"It would be huge to win it. We haven't won it for a while now and Essendon are always a quality side," he said.

"It's a good test to see where we are in terms of the competition and to keep up our own form.

"It's been 11 years since the first Dreamtime game between these two clubs and it's just a great honour to run out and I'm grateful for the opportunity.

"We want to continue the form we've got and we're not looking any further than the first quarter."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-26/shaun-burgoyne-the-model-for-tiger-edwards

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1736 on: May 27, 2015, 03:57:12 PM »
He wishes....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1737 on: May 28, 2015, 03:00:53 AM »

33 – N. Fyfe (Fremantle)
29 – D. Shiel (GWS)
16 – J. Kennesy (Sydney)

lol

laughing at titch being the 9th best player in the league

what a champ

What would the coaches know?
Btw how good was that 30m handball to Batchelor to set up our first goal?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1738 on: May 28, 2015, 03:41:16 AM »
Btw how good was that 30m handball to Batchelor to set up our first goal?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS1aX2zp-1E

:thumbsup

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1739 on: May 28, 2015, 06:29:56 PM »