Author Topic: Shane Edwards [merged]  (Read 271168 times)

tony_montana

Re: Shane Edwards [merged]
« Reply #1875 on: March 12, 2016, 12:40:21 PM »
Bit early to be labelling a player..

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1876 on: March 12, 2016, 12:40:24 PM »
He's playing for Matt Thomas role
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #1877 on: March 12, 2016, 12:44:00 PM »
Bit early to be labelling a player..

Seen the kid play in the NEAFL and at GWS. He is who he is.

tony_montana

« Reply #1878 on: March 12, 2016, 12:46:12 PM »
time will tell

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1879 on: March 12, 2016, 02:10:53 PM »
Townsend is tough but at times he reminds me of Dan Jackson who everyone would remember how he used to give away careless free kicks which at times were bona fide momentum killers. I understand Townsend's role but as others have also mentioned he needs to tone it down a little and carry out his role more intelligently and not just crash and bash continually. As Dermie said during the commentary last night he has to start getting some easier outside ball along with the inside hardball, you just can't physically maintain the battering ram method he is using at the moment.

I understand he's hard, tackles well etc., however, i've seen nothing to suggest he's an upgrade on Jackson/ Tuck.

It seems he's been plugged into a role as a reactionary measure to the north EF contested ball debacle. Sure he might have helped with that issue somewhat but I don't see how him playing makes us generally any better.

When did Hackson or even Tuck for that matter ever really protect out midfield? Biggest myth of all about Hackson. Saw our midfiekd bullied off the park many a time while he did nothing....running to fights, jumper wrestling and gut punching direct opponents at stoppages right in front of the umpire does not an enforcer make....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #1880 on: March 12, 2016, 02:13:50 PM »
Townsend is tough but at times he reminds me of Dan Jackson who everyone would remember how he used to give away careless free kicks which at times were bona fide momentum killers. I understand Townsend's role but as others have also mentioned he needs to tone it down a little and carry out his role more intelligently and not just crash and bash continually. As Dermie said during the commentary last night he has to start getting some easier outside ball along with the inside hardball, you just can't physically maintain the battering ram method he is using at the moment.

I understand he's hard, tackles well etc., however, i've seen nothing to suggest he's an upgrade on Jackson/ Tuck.

It seems he's been plugged into a role as a reactionary measure to the north EF contested ball debacle. Sure he might have helped with that issue somewhat but I don't see how him playing makes us generally any better.

When did Hackson or even Tuck for that matter ever really protect out midfield? Biggest myth of all about Hackson. Saw our midfiekd bullied off the park many a time while he did nothing....running to fights, jumper wrestling and gut punching direct opponents at stoppages right in front of the umpire does not an enforcer make....

I don't understand needing this "protection". Ranked 4th in the league in cp's last year just had an absolute shocker in the EF. We need a lot more class/ skill IMO not more plodders who "protect".

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1881 on: March 12, 2016, 02:27:03 PM »
I agree about our skill level but you still need to shepherd and lay effective tackles....all very well to waltz through the home & away season being a flat track bully ...means stuff all if you go to water when it really matters or miss out on a double chance because you got ambushed & bashed up by the likes of Melbourne & Adelaide......we needed someone to at least start setting a tone...
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Petey

• Bad
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • SgtAA of OER
« Reply #1882 on: March 12, 2016, 08:28:22 PM »
we have to set a tone...a big tone

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #1883 on: March 13, 2016, 02:51:57 PM »
we have to set a tone...a big tone
Agree Petey, i am worried or current tone is "b flat"

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #1884 on: March 13, 2016, 03:09:39 PM »
lured here to see how sheds was going - alas :huh

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1885 on: March 13, 2016, 03:15:02 PM »
lured here to see how sheds was going - alas :huh
No further news cub since Titch was cleared of serious injury. Dan Richardson reckons he'll still be right for round 1.

Richmond small-forward Shane Edwards has been cleared of major damage to his shoulder following his early exit from last night’s NAB Challenge match against Port Adelaide at Etihad Stadium.

Edwards left the game in the first quarter after hurting his shoulder, but the injury is not as severe as first thought.

X-rays last night revealed no fractures, and further scans on Friday morning indicate the 27-year-old suffered severe bruising and some nerve swelling to his left shoulder.

“Shane should recover quickly from the bruising, we’ll assess it further early next week, but at this stage we’re confident his preparation for Round 1 won’t be interrupted,” Richmond’s General Manager of Football, Dan Richardson said.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-03-11/edwards-cleared-of-serious-damage-

tony_montana

« Reply #1886 on: March 13, 2016, 07:41:03 PM »
"Should recover quickly" and "we'll assess it further next week"

That's Ric code for he'll miss the first 2 or 3 rounds....

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1887 on: March 16, 2016, 11:45:00 PM »
Talented Tiger playmaker Shane Edwards was forced from the field early in the NAB 3 Challenge match after hurting his shoulder, but the injury is not as severe as first thought.

Burge confirmed that Edwards had suffered a bruised shoulder and minor nerve damage.

“It’s improved really quickly and he’s probably going to be doing some non-contact skills later this week, so I think he’ll be fine for Round 1,” Burge said.

Source: RFC website

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1888 on: March 17, 2016, 07:05:36 AM »
From whipping boy to almost irreplaceable.

Let's hope some others on the list can replicate this metamorphosis.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #1889 on: March 17, 2016, 08:05:49 AM »
From whipping boy to almost irreplaceable.

Let's hope some others on the list can replicate this metamorphosis.

Easy in our best ten players

Not a solider.  A magician. 
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus