Author Topic: Shane Edwards [merged]  (Read 271104 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Recruiting blunder that delivered Tigers gun (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #2430 on: August 11, 2019, 11:30:07 AM »
Recruiting blunder that delivered Tigers gun

Glenn McFarlane,
Herald Sun
11 Aug 2019

Richmond’s Shane Edwards has been dubbed a Shaun Burgoyne clone for his capacity to keep improving with age in a variety of roles.

But the unassuming Tigers star would have done so in a different jumper, if not for a never-before revealed recruiting overrule.

As Edwards prepares to become the 250th player to play 250 games — against Carlton at the MCG today — the Sunday Herald Sun can detail for the first time how Brisbane missed their chance to secure the wiry, talented 18-year-old.

The Lions’ then recruiting manager Craig Brittain had been desperate to take the North Adelaide teenager with the club’s pick 22 in the 2006 national draft.

But when he put forward Edwards’ name for selection, Brittain was vetoed by the powers above him — much to his ongoing chagrin.

Instead, Brisbane chose another indigenous teenager, Queensland under-18 captain Albert Proud, which allowed the Tigers to take Edwards four picks later.

Richmond’s 2006 draft class (from left) Andrew Collins, Daniel Connors, Jack Riewoldt, Carl Peterson and Shane Edwards.

Edwards has gone on to become one of the Tigers’ best, and most admired, players.

Proud managed only 29 games for the Lions, with a series of off-field issues and trouble with the law pushing him on a downward spiral. In 2016, he received a five-year prison term for bashing his partner.

Justin Leppitsch, who has twice been an assistant coach at Richmond, revealed the details of the sliding doors moment this week.

“Craig Brittain was doing recruiting (for the Lions) and he wanted to take ‘Shedda’ with the second pick Brisbane had just before Richmond,” Leppitsch said.

“But they (the football department) went against him, which he still upsets him today.

“They wanted to take Albert Proud, who didn’t end up lasting (at the Lions).

“Craig said to me ‘Keep following that kid (Edwards) … I wanted to pick him’.

‘I told ‘Shedda’ it was a sliding doors moment … he could easily have ended up in Brisbane.”

Coincidentally, Edwards initially believed he had been drafted to Brisbane in November 2006 after an internet malfunction at his Adelaide home.

The draft wasn’t televised that Saturday morning and Edwards had to rely on a phone call for the news of his future home.

“The phone rang about 10.30 and I picked it up. It was Craig McRae on the phone,” his father Greg Edwards said. “He introduced himself and asked to speak to Shane, who was standing next to me.

“Shane was like, ‘Which club is it?’. I said: ‘Brisbane’, because I thought Craig McRae was from Brisbane.

“Shane stumbled his way through the call, thinking he was going to Brisbane. When he put down the phone, he said to me: ‘Dad, it’s Richmond’.”

THE SPRAY THAT STILL DRIVES HIM

Edwards hates letting people down.

He’s rarely ever done it, but the fear of it still drives him.

It’s something that pushed him his junior career with Golden Grove in South Australia, with North Adelaide in the SANFL and now in 13 seasons in yellow and black.

But there was one time he felt he let the side down.

That came during the 2006 season when he was playing one of his 10 games with North Adelaide seniors under the coaching of SANFL great Andrew Jarman.

Edwards was crook with the flu, but disguised it well enough to play. He delivered a less than satisfactory performance, prompting a response from his coach.

“’Jars’ was a great teacher, and he grabbed Shane and said: ‘Don’t you ever be so selfish again,” Greg Edwards recalled.

“I know that stuck in Shane’s head. He still remembers it.

“He hates the idea of doing anything to let his teammates, or ‘Dimma’ (Damien Hardwick) down. He’s very conscious of that.”

Jack Riewoldt, who was drafted alongside Edwards in the Tigers’ class of 2006, says the best thing about his teammate is that he is so reliable and dependable.

“He is just the epitome of what you want from a footballer and a teammate,” Riewoldt said. “He is a very good player and a very good person.”

EXTRA TO EXPERT

There was a running joke in Chris Newman’s online Hello Newman videos on the club’s website at the back end of his career at Richmond.

As Newman toured the homes of Richmond stars, one constant was Edwards’ appearance as an extra in the skits.

In Jake King’s segment, the opening of a wardrobe revealed Edwards bound and gagged as if he was being held hostage.

The footballer who was affectionately cast as an extra not that many years ago is now a bona fide star.

The durable utility has never played fewer than 15 games in a season since making his debut in 2007 — this year will be his eighth that he has played at least 20.

A second successive All-Australian blazer seems assured next month.

“He is an absolute beauty,” Leppitsch said this week. “It is very rare that you get better in your late 20s or early 30s, but he has clearly done that.”

Riewoldt said Edwards is the best handballer he has ever seen, and “every recruiter’s dream … as they search for players with that football chip — and he’s got it.”

There were some tough early years from a team perspective, which wasn’t lost on Edwards this week.

“I feel like I have experienced a lot in 250 games,” he said on 3AW. “I have seen what it’s like being at the bottom (of the ladder) and finding that extremely difficult to win games, and now it has been the opposite.”

Those closest to him maintain coach Damien Hardwick has played a significant role in getting the best out of Edwards as a player.

Shane’s father said: “The way the game changes can make or break some players. A player’s skills and speed don’t necessarily change, but the game style does give certain players an opportunity to come on. I reckon that’s what’s happened to Shane.”

“He got to 26 and was going OK. But the way the game is played now suits him. Dimma wanted Shane’s flair because it suited the way he wanted the club to play.

“In the early days some coaches thought he was a bit risky, which probably stifled his development a bit.

“Shane watched some vision with Dimma one day and he missed a couple of handballs. He told Dimma that he needed to learn from that. But Dimma said, ‘No, we need to learn to go faster, and understand what you are going to do with it.”

INDIGENOUS INVESTMENT

Edwards always knew about his indigenous heritage, through his mother Tara, but hadn’t looked into it.

That all changed on a Richmond Football Club trip to the small Aboriginal community at Santa Teresa, about 80km from Alice Springs, in 2013.

Greg Edwards detailed: “He and his brother Kym have always known about his background on his mum’s side, but he had never really investigated it.

“That is until Richmond took him to Santa Teresa. The guy who interviewed him there asked him what his great grandmother’s last name was. It was Summerfield, and he asked if there were any Summerfields in the room.

“All of these young indigenous kids rushed up on stage to hug him.”

Edwards’ great-grandmother, Elsie Summerfield, had been one of the stolen generation, and that trip connected him to distant relatives he never really knew existed.

Six years on, Edwards has embraced the next wave of indigenous players at Richmond, and a close look at the club’s theme song most weeks sees him standing alongside Sydney Stack, Daniel Rioli and Shai Bolton.

“He is a great role model for our indigenous players,” Riewoldt said. “But I’d go further than that, and say he is a great role model for our other young players, too, and our staff.

“When he stepped into the captaincy this year, when the three of us (Riewoldt, Trent Cotchin and Alex Rance) were out, it was really important to him.”

His first game in charge came against Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval in Round 4.

Before the game he resolved to make it a fun experience, telling his father he wanted to give an old-fashioned rev-up warm-up.

“He got the boys together, got them all in close, and got Kamdyn McIntosh to yell out, ‘Give me 10’,” his father said with a smile.

“AFL clubs don’t do all that old warm-up stuff, but he did it, and everyone was laughing.”

THE BURGOYNE CLONE

Riewoldt says his close mate reminds him so much of Hawthorn’s Shaun Burgoyne.

That’s a good comparison for Tigers fans.

Burgoyne is still playing good footy at 36 in just about any position required. Edwards is doing the same and doesn’t turn 31 until October.

“I see him nearly as a clone of Shaun Burgoyne,” Riewoldt said. “He has that ability to play back, forward, mid. He impacts wherever he goes.

“We would love to have three of him.”

Leppitsch couldn’t believe his luck earlier this year when the defensive coach had the luxury of having Edwards at half-back for a period.

But, in keeping with his career, he has forever been on the move.

“It’s funny, he is the sort of guy who changes positions so often because he is so good in every position he plays,” Leppitsch said. “He has bounced around his whole career.

“He is going to be one of those guys who, when he walks away from his career, you wonder what position he actually did play.

“I stole him for a while and then, as the half-backs kept coming back like (Jayden) Short and (Bachar) Houli, they stole him back for the midfield.

“I haven’t been able to steal him (again), but I’ll keep pushing.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/how-a-recruiting-overrule-left-the-door-ajar-for-richmond-to-lock-in-shane-edwards/news-story/6d15332fd635d8ab5a86d4193cdf7b5f

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'There was possum poo on the floor': Edwards reflects on the road to 250 (afl)
« Reply #2431 on: August 11, 2019, 11:31:41 AM »
'There was possum poo on the floor': Tiger reflects on the road to 250

AFL.com.au
Sarah Black
Aug 11, 2019 11:02AM

WHEN Shane Edwards first walked into the gym at Richmond, there was possum poo on the floor.

Edwards had been flown over for the day after being selected with pick 26 in the 2006 draft, and was somewhat taken aback by his surroundings.

"I came from North Adelaide, which was a really modern SANFL club. When I rocked up to Richmond, while I can't really remember what I expected, the facilities weren't actually as good as what I came from," Edwards told AFL.com.au.

"It was historic. Now, I appreciate what it looked like and what it had been through, but there was possum poo on the floor of the gym, the weights were uneven, things were just really old.

"It surprised me what state the club was in both financially and from a facility point of view. But that's one per cent of my first impression, everything else was about, 'oh my god, I just met 'Richo' (Matthew Richardson), Nathan Brown and Kane Johnson'."

There wasn't much of Shane Edwards in his debut season at the Tigers in 2007. Picture: AFL Photos

On the day of his 250th game (oddly enough, when he runs out on Sunday against Carlton, he will be the 250th player to reach the mark), Edwards is playing for a different Richmond.

He jokes, head in his hands, that the young Tigers don't know how good they've got it, playing for one of the strongest clubs in the competition, both on and off the field.

While now very stable, the club underwent a massive transformation during the early years of Edwards' career.

Former club hero Brendon Gale was appointed CEO in August 2009, while Damien Hardwick took over from caretaker coach Jade Rawlings at the end of that year (Rawlings became caretaker following Terry Wallace's departure midway through that season).

The Fighting Tiger Fund was launched at the start of 2011 to clear the club's debt of $4.5 million, upgrade Punt Road Oval and invest in the football department, particularly recruiting. A redevelopment of the club's facilities was also completed that year.

But all that seemed miles away to Edwards, whose immediate concern upon starting at the club was to find a jumper that fitted his 71-kilogram frame.

"Back then, we weren't given high jumper numbers, we got given low numbers straight away. Jack (Riewoldt) was given number eight, I was given number 10," he said.

"Greg Stafford was number 10 before me, and he was 35 centimetres taller and 30 kilos heavier. It was a dress on me. 

"I don't know whose jumper they eventually found, probably a kid who won a competition!"

Edwards believes himself, Riewoldt and head of coaching Tim Livingstone are among the longest-serving members (in terms of consecutive years) at the club, given the turmoil of his early years.

"It's all you know. When you get here, you think whatever you're doing is the right thing. It's not until things change and more success happens, that you think, 'I can't believe we ever did that back then'.

"One of the biggest changes between 2016 and 2017 (the premiership year) was just everyone shifted their focus from negative to positive, focusing on what everyone could do well rather than people can't do.

"It snowballed into positive energy that hasn't stopped since. That obviously started from the top with 'Dimma', 'Cotch' (captain Trent Cotchin), the Chief (Gale) and Peggy (O'Neal, president). It just filtered down everywhere."

That positivity was tested earlier this season as the Tigers suffered a string of injuries to key personnel.

The three-man leadership group of Trent Cotchin, Riewoldt and Alex Rance were all ruled out by round four, leaving a surprised Edwards skipper of a decimated side for seven weeks. The team even ran into Steven Bradbury at the airport on the very same day Edwards had "Bradbury-ed" his way to captaincy.

The Tigers formed, in effect, a new leadership group, comprised of Edwards, Nick Vlastuin, Dylan Grimes, Kane Lambert and Tom Lynch. The quintet still go to leadership meetings, despite Riewoldt being back on the field.

"I suppose I was captain, but really we all just lifted a little bit. I would talk a bit, but then I would get someone else to have their little spiel as well. Ranting and raving isn't really one of my strengths, so I included others," Edwards said.

"After moving to half-back (having been moved there to cover for Jayden Short), I had to make sure I really knew my position so I can help others.

"But I can't believe how good the young guys were. Jack Ross had 28 touches in his first game; it took me 200 to get that."

The 30-year-old is still some way off retirement, but is currently working with the club's recruiting department, a nod to where his post-playing career might head.

"When I have to retire or get delisted – by the guys I'm working with – then I'll hopefully be a recruiter and know myself that I'm no good anymore, so it'll be a good call."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-11/there-was-possum-poo-on-the-floor-tiger-reflects-on-the-road-to-250

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Shane Edwards - 250th game this week [merged]
« Reply #2432 on: August 11, 2019, 09:31:38 PM »
From Robbo's "likes" column:

As for Edwards, CEO Brendon Gale said it best on twitter:

"It’s hard to articulate a club’s culture in just a few words. Sometimes it’s best understood by simply observing its people. I’ve thought of @S_Edwards10 and his milestone plenty this week, and he’s the embodiment of our culture. He’s a great man and he’s a @Richmond_FC man."

— Brendon Gale (@brendongale25) August 10, 2019

https://twitter.com/brendongale25/status/1160095033334173696

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Shane Edwards [merged]
« Reply #2433 on: August 18, 2019, 04:46:28 PM »
Gee he was massive

What a display he put on today
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #2434 on: August 18, 2019, 05:47:12 PM »
I dunno how he weaves through what he does and still gets those sniper shot handballs out while getting tackled
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2435 on: August 18, 2019, 06:02:15 PM »
Great game - just wish he'd play the percentages occasionally though.. :shh
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 06:17:48 PM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2436 on: August 18, 2019, 07:40:11 PM »

And take away what makes him elite?

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #2437 on: August 18, 2019, 08:19:06 PM »
Gee he was massive

What a display he put on today
His disposal was deplorable at times. Fumbled more than usual too.
Was very good in the last quarter.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2438 on: August 19, 2019, 12:12:44 AM »

And take away what makes him elite?

What part of "occasionally" didn't you understand?  :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2439 on: September 01, 2019, 04:52:21 AM »
Trade talk: Tigers move early on free agent

Jay Clark and Jon Ralph
Herald Sun
30 Aug 2019

Richmond star midfielder Shane Edwards will push the button on a contract extension for next season, taking him off the free agency market.

One of the most underrated prime movers in the competition would be an ideal target for Gold Coast for the same reasons the Suns are hunting Hawthorn great Shaun Burgoyne.

But premiership star Edwards, 30, has a verbal agreement in place to go on for up to two more seasons at Punt Rd, locking in one of the club’s favourite sons until the end of 2021.

Edwards’ deal will be formalised once the Tigers’ season wraps up and some other list management issues are sorted.

While his free agency status has largely flown under the radar, there is no threat of the versatile Edwards leaving Richmond as the clubs look to capitalise on its premiership window.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/moneyball-latest-afl-trade-and-contract-news/news-story/38a0ff38f78fbed463b8779d6852a4de

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2440 on: September 07, 2019, 09:32:29 PM »
Edwards is an absolute champion of this club.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2441 on: September 07, 2019, 09:44:50 PM »
Yes he is, and getting better with age too.

Love him!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2442 on: September 07, 2019, 10:32:26 PM »
Time for Mr Magic to make an appearance

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2443 on: September 07, 2019, 10:37:59 PM »
Scarily tore the game to shreds in the 3rd quarter. Like a fine wine seems to be getting even better with age.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #2444 on: September 07, 2019, 10:39:16 PM »
Mr September
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do