Author Topic: ME Bank buys naming rights to Tigerland  (Read 8235 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: ME Bank buys naming rights to Tigerland
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2011, 03:39:09 AM »
From Comment 12 of 28 in the Herald-Sun's online article on North's naming rights sponsor....

Michael of Flemington Posted at 12:35 PM February 15, 2011

"$1m for 3 years??? Pathetic result. Apparently Richmond got $8m over 5 years from ME Bank...."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/kangas-playing-by-their-own-rules/comments-e6frf9jf-1226006226473

If this comment is true that's $1.6 million per annum we're receiving from the ME Bank Centre naming rights.

gerkin greg

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2011, 09:04:45 AM »
Sounds about right to me. I thought it would be around $1.5m pa.
To be fair to Norf, they've done well to get that much for a basketball court and a sauna  :-[

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2011, 03:38:34 PM »
Sounds like the ME Bank Centre is finally finished as Mike Sheahan is getting the grand tour.

From RFC twitter:

"Mike Sheahan is getting the grand tour of the ME Bank Centre, hope he likes it"

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2011, 09:27:38 PM »
sheehan = muppet. :rollin

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2011, 09:49:57 PM »
sheehan = muppet. :rollin

True.  But getting a positive article from him about our future direction at this point of the pre-season will be a fair help to the membership drive and FTF.  Benny and co would have been doing the schmaltzing for that reason I reckon.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2011, 03:03:52 AM »
Essendon are aiming for $700k p.a. over 3 years for the naming rights of their planned new facility out at Airport West lol. If the above figure of $1.6m p.a. is true for our ME Bank naming rights sponsorship then that's just further proof of the importance in terms of value and location of Punt Rd Oval to us  :thumbsup.

Bombers are also after $1.8m p.a. for the front of their jumper btw.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/bombers-hunt-25million-a-season-sponsor/story-e6frf9jf-1226063070048

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2011, 07:12:53 AM »
I actually think that $2.5mil number is interesting and actually highlights a point in that you have to take each "prop" you sell and then look at the over all sponsorship $$$ you get

Here's what I mean

Peolpe have been critical in the past about what we "sell" our jumper etc for. People have got annoyed when clubs like the Bulldogs announce they are getting say $2.5 mil a year from Mission (as reported in the papers). But that $2.5 mil is for front & back of the their jumper, shorts and naming rights for one of the buildings at Whitten Oval. $2.5 on its own sounds impressive but when you look at everything it covers it doesn't sound as good

Now Essendon are saying they want $1.5mil for the front of their jumper, $700k for their new venue and the same article says they are getting $5 mil over 3 years for the back of the jumper ($1.67mil p.a.). Now that's $4.1 overall.

Now look at us (and the numbers I am using are part "what if" & guestimates based on the media's clueless guessing  ;D). We are supposedly getting $1.6mil from ME Bank, say $1 mil from Bingle, another $1 mil from Jeep, and say $300k from Clive Peeters if those numbers are ballpark then that's $3.9mil a season

Which means we are tracking much better than the Dogs, and not as far away from the Bombers (who are considered a big getter of sponsor $$) than people think ... Perhaps we are not the basket case sponsorship wise that people have been thinking/saying.

Make no mistake the Tiger is stirring on so many levels  :thumbsup 

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2011, 07:23:54 AM »
ME bank should pay alot for the naming rights, how many motorists see it each day?

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2011, 07:58:57 AM »
ME bank should pay alot for the naming rights, how many motorists see it each day?

Yep it's certainly lit up like a Christmas tree. Thing about motorists is all the trees tend to stop the signage being seen, even the signage on Punt Road. You get a huge eyeful on the train though. Much more prominent than the Lexus Center or whatever the Collingwood hovel is called now. :thumbsup

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2011, 04:35:43 PM »
Much more prominent than the Lexus Center or whatever the Collingwood hovel is called now. :thumbsup
It's the old Olympic Pool so has been named after former Australian olympic swimming gold medallist Lorraine Crapp.

The Crapp Centre.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

tony_montana

« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2011, 06:18:31 PM »
WP I've heard that our jumper sponsorship deals is about 700-800k each for front and back - about half what the dons have been getting

At least we get much higher venue rights $$$ bc of location

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2011, 07:42:02 PM »
WP I've heard that our jumper sponsorship deals is about 700-800k each for front and back - about half what the dons have been getting

Even if that is the case al (and I don't think it is) our combined figures against other teams is not to shabby (say $3.5mil using your numbers). 
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2011, 08:08:08 PM »

People estimated that figure because the numbers released were a 2 year deal with a 3rd year option and it was valued at something like $2.1 million dollars (from memory without finding the press release)
I think people just divided the number by 3 when it's not actually a 3 year deal yet

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2011, 08:48:16 PM »
Much more prominent than the Lexus Center or whatever the Collingwood hovel is called now. :thumbsup
It's the old Olympic Pool so has been named after former Australian olympic swimming gold medallist Lorraine Crapp.

The Crapp Centre.

Or The Crapp House
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2012, 04:25:03 AM »
From today's Australian....

ME Bank chief Jamie McPhee rues the low recognition of the ME Bank brand, despite the bank's sponsorship of popular but perennially struggling AFL club Richmond.

But while the Tigers can't win a free kick, ME Bank enjoyed a nice one when it immediately cut its variable rate in line with the RBA's cash rate decrease early last month.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/financial-services/me-bank-sets-course-for-blue-collar-banking/story-fn91wd6x-1226236832646