Author Topic: Carlton-Judd threads [merged]  (Read 82566 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Carlton-Judd threads [merged]
« on: September 15, 2007, 03:49:47 AM »
Race to bring Judd back home
15 September 2007   Herald Sun
Mike Sheahan

VICTORIA'S most powerful clubs are jockeying for position in what looms as a $5 million race for West Coast champion Chris Judd.

Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon head the pack, with Richmond, which holds first pick in the pre-season draft, expected to join in.

All expect Judd to announce his intention to return home to Victoria within four to five days of West Coast's exit from the premiership race.

The Eagles also are understood to be bracing themselves for his departure.

Judd, recently turned 24, is out of contract after the current season. His refusal to re-commit at any time during the past 12 months has pointed to a return to Melbourne for the second half of his stellar career.

While he hasn't had any contact with other clubs, his manager Paul Connors has been fielding approaches from at least Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon.

Offers are likely to extend to as long as five years and at least $5 million.

Connors is in Perth this weekend, staying with the star midfielder, who missed last night's clash with Collingwood through injury.

Also in Perth is Carlton's football operations manager Steven Icke, en route from South Africa and planning to speak with Connors.

The Blues are geared for a massive tilt at Judd.

They offered Matthew Pavlich $4 million for four years before he re-signed with Fremantle, and will go even higher for Judd.

Pavlich and his management reportedly gave the offer due consideration before deciding to stay with the Dockers.

What is known as fact is Carlton has scope under the salary cap, and the money and the inclination to offer Judd whatever it takes.

The Blues also have the rich and powerful Richard Pratt impatient for progress.

They have bargaining power, too, with draft choices 1, 3 and 20. The first pick is reserved for Matthew Kreuzer, but No. 3 is negotiable.

It just so happens the player ranked nominally as the likely No. 2 or No. 3 is West Australian Cale Morton, younger brother of West Coast's Mitch.

The Blues also have Josh Kennedy, a 20-year-old centre half-forward, who comes from East Fremantle and was taken at No. 4 in the 2005 national draft. They don't want to lose him, but West Coast will drive a hard bargain.

Collingwood has been positioning itself for a crack at Judd for many weeks.

The Magpies last year offered Jonathan Brown $6 million for five years.

They have less than Carlton to offer West Coast in terms of draft picks, given they won't have a top-10 choice.

Historically, West Coast hasn't wanted to deal with Collingwood, with Fraser Gehrig the most famous example, snatched from the Pies by St Kilda at the death.

Essendon is right in the mix.

The Bombers finished 12th, giving them an early draft choice, and money is no object. They do have one major problem, though, the continuing indecision on the coaching job.

While Judd's stocks have fallen slightly given his chronic injury problem in recent months, post-season surgery is expected to see him make a full recovery.

He is widely believed to have a groin problem, although one source at an interested club says it is more likely to be a bone spur on a hip.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22420498^20322,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Judd threads [merged]
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 04:36:52 AM »
The pieces of the puzzle are now making sense. Talk around the club of us chasing a BIG name, Miller visiting Perth and Judd's girlfriend enrolling at Melb Uni.

Massive news! The Eagles are now out of the finals so we'll know about Judd returning to Victoria by early next week going by the Hun.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 07:36:30 AM »
Ill believe it when i see it. Mind you if we land Judd via the PSD then itll add 5000 members. He could almost pay for himself.

Finally if we do manage it, it will be a massive symbolic victory for us. That we went to battle against all our arch enemies and won. People shouldnt underestimate it. It will be a sign that we are still a big club.

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 07:50:46 AM »

Offer him the number 17 jumper.

:gotigers

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 09:18:16 AM »
wonder if the wildcard could be Sheedy. :shh

Ramps

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 10:52:55 AM »

what would sheedy have to do with Judd and how is it intertwined with us?

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 11:10:22 AM »
I doubt Sheeds would get a game at WC.
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 11:37:57 AM »
blah blah blah  ::)

IF judd does comes to richmond i'll eat my hat

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 11:38:48 AM »

:-\ :-\  :help

Is Sheeds goig to set up his own RFC rogerd3 ???

;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ramps

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 11:45:33 AM »

;D

Great, now we can see our side lose twice a week during the winter.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2007, 11:49:48 AM »

;D

Great, now we can see our side lose twice a week during the winter.

That's the spirit Ramps :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2007, 12:15:11 PM »
just thought i would throw it out there for all sheedy admirers, personally dont want him at our club as we dont need him.

i believe we should to stick to our plan, it will just take time.

as for Judd coming to us perhaps the eagles are aware that WE have an interest in young Morton as our 1st pick? who knows...carltons pick 3 wont be enough.

the only reason our club has been mentioned is because we have 1st pick in the PSD, let the  blues chase him with the $$$$$, cause i get the feeling that it could all turn pear shaped...

anyone remember the Pitura fiasco.

i have never been an advocate for Kevins return like some on here....where is the Jackstar...

« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 01:36:23 PM by rogerd3 »

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2007, 12:17:48 PM »
just thought i would throw it out there for all sheedy admirers, personally dont want him at our club as we dont need him.

i believe we should to stick to our plan, it will just take time.

as for Judd coming to us perhaps the eagles are aware that WE have an interest in young Morton as our 1st pick? who knows...carltons pick 3 wont be enough.

the only reason our club has been mentioned is because we have 1st pick in the PSD, let the  blues chase him with the $$$$$, cause i get the feeling that i could all turn pear shaped...

anyone remember the Pitura fiasco.

i have never been an advocate for Kevins return like some on here....where is the Jackstar...

cale?

if so would prefer cotchin

Offline rogerd3

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007, 12:25:21 PM »
cale is/has been on our radar, perhaps the eagles want the brothers to play together.

myself i would prefer we draft young trent but hey we are dealing with the RFC here, and we know how our drafting has been for donkey's years strange to say the least.

i reckon he will end up at Visy blues.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2007, 02:02:36 PM »
is it miller who wants morton or is it francis?

anyways I thought we were pretty much sold on Cotchin