Author Topic: Wallace's aftermatch media conference / Tigers outplayed, but not outworked  (Read 5813 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers outplayed, but not outworked
7:41 PM Sun 22 July, 2007
By Jason Phelan
for richmondfc.com.au

TERRY Wallace has praised the effort of his players but lamented their poor decision-making and skill errors after the Tigers slipped to a 55-point loss to Port Adelaide on Sunday.

“I didn’t think the effort to win [the ball] was that bad, but certainly the ability to hang onto it from that stage was the thing that we saw as the clear difference between the two sides,” Wallace said after the match.

“The skill level of the opposition was far too great, whether it was their goalkicking – I think they ended up with 15.1 from set shots – or our turnover rate. They actually got 15 goals directly from our turnovers and that hurts you in any game of footy.

“From an effort point of view I didn’t think that there was anything wrong with it. I think [our players] showed in the first quarter when Port Adelaide jumped out and kicked the first three or four goals that they were really determined to step back.

“The other clear difference between the two sides was their very, very best players played terrific and we didn’t get the same result out of our best players.”

The result was not what champion spearhead Matthew Richardson would have hoped for in his 250th match, but Wallace said it was unfair to link the milestone to the disappointing performance. 

“I didn’t think there was any lack of respect for Matthew,” Wallace said.

“You’re not thinking about respect when you turn the ball over, or you’re running 60m out from goal and you miss a target. I don’t think that’s got anything to do with the respect factor.”

Wallace was disappointed his side had failed to reward fans in the past fortnight, but vowed to fight out the season, starting with next week’s trip to Sydney.

“It’s been disappointing in the last couple of weeks that we’ve been hurt by our own mistakes,” he said.

“We’ve played two very, very skilled sides … and from that point of view it doesn’t get a heck of a lot easier over the next four weeks.

“It’s no use making grandiose statements or people just think you’re making excuses all the time. All you can do is just bat up. There’s nowhere to hide in this competition … and if you drop off 10 per cent you’ll get belted by sides that are hungry and desperate to play finals footy.

“We’ve got enough to prove and we’ll go interstate next week and put up our best show again.

“It’s been a very tough year at the club. We don’t hide that [we don’t accept] where we are at the moment, but we don’t step away from the direction that we’re heading in.

“I’ve seen some sides over a period of time go through some pretty tough times, but I’ve also seen them come out of those tough times.”

http://richmondfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6301/Default.aspx?newsId=47779

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
We don't seem to be getting any better though :banghead

Bull

It is clear that we have gone backwards.

Wallace should walk. He is no Coach

Passionfruit

I am convinced that Wallace wasnt at the match.
How could anyway say the effort was there is a disgrace.- he actually states there was nothing wrong from an effort point of view
They actually gave up in passages in the third quarter.
Terry, time to go buddy.
The teams doesnt play with passion and doesnt have a red hot go.

As for not stepping away from the direction your heading in, word of advice , turn around and go back as you are heading in the wrong direction Terry.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
The result was not what champion spearhead Matthew Richardson would have hoped for in his 250th match, but Wallace said it was unfair to link the milestone to the disappointing performance. 

“I didn’t think there was any lack of respect for Matthew,” Wallace said.

Perhaps not but I do think a couple blokes wouldn't be able to look Richo in the eye after their efforts today :'(

It is clear that we have gone backwards.

Wallace should walk. He is no Coach

MT & I were talking about where we are today and for me at least this is probably the season from hell we (read I) needed to get a clear understanding of where we are at.

I honestly thought we would play finals this year but when we started and didn't have our absolute best out there it showed how much work needs to be done. I know exactly where we are at and we are heading

And at this stage I don't think the coach should go but certainly some of the players should. The coach going will yet again protect some players and that aint going to help  
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Passionfruit

WP. we are at rock bottom in 3 years into the coaches contract.
There are considerable questions on the coach.
Clean players and coaches out at seasons end at start again.
I still am trying to work out how he tagged a player he delisted 15 rounds ago, i am bemused and confused. Its laughable.

You mention players not be able to look richo in the eye, maybe the coach has ""lost them""
Going on todays effort with players not chasing , I reckon he has lost them

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
WP. we are at rock bottom in 3 years into the coaches contract.
There are considerable questions on the coach.
Clean players and coaches out at seasons end at start again.
I still am trying to work out how he tagged a player he delisted 15 rounds ago, i am bemused and confused. Its laughable.

You mention players not be able to look richo in the eye, maybe the coach has ""lost them""
Going on todays effort with players not chasing , I reckon he has lost them

Jack I appreciate what you are saying (actually always thought the Rodan thing would bite us ;)) but I think this time round we have to make our players accountable for there efforts. I have always thought that players get off easy when things are crap. Easier to sack a coach than sack an entire team.

Perhaps Jack just perhaps we needed to get to rock bottom before we try to get anywhere. 2004 we (supporters) wanted anything, needed something and we went out and got a coach that at the time everyone was saying was going to be good/great for this Club.

And for the last 2 season perhaps we have been spoilt because I am now of the opinion that we probably achieved more than we should have because we were all caught up in this huge wave - now reality has bitten because due to injuries, poor form and whole range of things our underbelly has been exposed for what it is - a massive WIP project.

The most ironic thing is 12-15 months ago people were happy with where we were heading and who was the coach then? IIRC it's the same bloke we have now and for now he and the entire Club will continue to have my support because I honestly believe in my heart of heart we are on the right track - because kids like Reiwoldt, Edwards, Foley, McGuane, Pattison, King are showing it

Passionfruit

The game plan has changed dramatically.

whats happened to the 100 points a game.
The run and carry has disappeared only to be replaced by Lateral short kicks which we turn over because we arent skilled enough.

We have inside f 50 entries continually turned over because the players dont understand who turn it is to be the hit up target and who plays deep. these are simple things at AFL level.

Go and watch the saints, cats who,s forward set-ups do work.

I dont see Riewoldt crashing into Gehrig.
Dont see Cam Mooney crashing into N. Ablett or Hawkins, why, as they are taught not to.

I counted Schultz and Richo on at least 8 occasions today crashing into each other and commented to people around me and they got the gist of what was happening.

Its called forward spreading the opposition backman but WE little idea in what it means or how it works.

I could write here for hours, seriously

Its disgrace.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame

The run and carry has disappearde only to be replaced by Lateral short kicks which we turn over because we arent skilled enough.

We have inside f 50 entries continually turned over because the players dont understand who turn it si to be the hit up target and who plays deep. these are simple things at AFL level.

Go and watch the saints, cats who forward set-ups do work.

Dont see Cam Mooney crashing into N. Ablett or Hawkins, why, as they are taught not to.

I counted Schultz and Richo on at least 8 occasions today crashing into each other and commented to people around me and they got the gist of what was happening.

Its called forward spreading the opposition backman but WE little idea in what it means or how it works.

Its disgrace.

we did run and carry, we ar aiming to get over 100pts per game

its not the game plan, its the players, the experienced players who cant get a hold of what to do.

we went inside 5o as much as port, we had the ball as much as port

we just turned the friggen thing over too many times ]

thats not the coaches fault its the damn players

and about richo, i think the players spoke with their actions today, and i think its not about players looking him in the eye but him looking at players in the eye.  he once again showed he is not a team man , and its all about him

Moi

We got 100 points today

Passionfruit

The run and carry has disappearde only to be replaced by Lateral short kicks which we turn over because we arent skilled enough.

We have inside f 50 entries continually turned over because the players dont understand who turn it si to be the hit up target and who plays deep. these are simple things at AFL level.

Go and watch the saints, cats who forward set-ups do work.

Its disgrace.

we did run and carry, we ar aiming to get over 100pts per game

its not the game plan, its the players, the experienced players who cant get a hold of what to do.

we went inside 5o as much as port, we had the ball as much as port

we just turned the friggen thing over too many times ]

thats not the coaches fault its the damn players

and about richo, i think the players spoke with their actions today, and i think its not about players looking him in the eye but him looking at players in the eye.  he once again showed he is not a team man , and its all about him

Mate, I really cant be bothered debating this
You say we went inside 50 the same time as Port, but we tunred it over.Reason being is that the forwarsd dont spread and take the opposition backman out of the contest , they all try and win the same ball, thus the opposition players leave there direct opponent and the hit -up forward usually then has to beat his direct opponent and another or even 2 oppostion players
Blame, THE COACH!

We dont run and carry I am sorry. We short kick laterally in D 50, thus you will find Joel Bowden has heaps of unconested possesions which are usually short( under 25 metres)

And , we did kick 100 points, the opposition kicked 25 goals and WE DIDNT win a quarter

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!

Its disgrace.

No kidding  :lol :rollin :shh :whistle
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Then why bother posting on an interenet forum.

If not for the debate then maybe just so you can make pronouncements.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond

Passionfruit

Then why bother posting on an interenet forum.

If not for the debate then maybe just so you can make pronouncements.

Well 1965, I would love to here your views on the game , do tell