Author Topic: NRL thread  (Read 56845 times)

Offline Carvels Ring

• Premiership Captain
Re: NRL - Melbourne Storm
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2010, 04:10:00 PM »
plus the premierships!  :o

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
David Gallop's press conference:

* Storm were $1.7m over the cap over the past 5 years including $700k in 2010. Systematic methods used to hide breaches. NRL auditor found a secret file in a separate room at the Storm's admin HQ which exposed the Storm's salary cap avoidance.

* Penalty is the stripping of 2 major premierships and 3 minor premierships, a $500k fine, and all points stripped for the whole of 2010.

* No premierships will be awarded in 2007 and 2009. So Manly and Parramatta don't gain them.

:gobdrop

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2010, 04:19:03 PM »
Cheats. Ballsy of the NRL with the Rebels coming in and a second soccer team too.

Those premierships should definitely be awarded to the best non-cheating team.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #138 on: April 22, 2010, 04:20:01 PM »
And they have to give back the prize money.

Man I knew they hated us, but fair dinkum  :banghead

No way all the clubs would be above board.

Should get these auditors onto Carlton and Judds case.

Premerships still exist for all us supporters - NRL not doing emselves any favours with the Rebels coming in next year.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #139 on: April 22, 2010, 04:29:48 PM »
I'm with you CUB. I sure wish Dimwittyou and little Ando had the BALLS to strip Carltank of a couple of their ill-gotten Premierships.

Offline Carvels Ring

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #140 on: April 22, 2010, 04:30:45 PM »
Nah, it's fair what has happened.  There will be cops involved as well.  you cant do what they have done.

it's a stuffing tragedy

FNM

« Reply #141 on: April 22, 2010, 04:34:12 PM »
My ex-boss is a director of the club  :help

A tragedy for the supporters and the innocent parties

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #142 on: April 22, 2010, 04:35:42 PM »
Fair enough to be punished for cheating but sheesh are the NRL committing suicide expansion wise with such a hefty penalty. This could kill off the Storm and result in the NRL going back to just a two state competition. Aren't the NRL trying to negotiate a new TV rights deal?

A shame Carlton weren't stripped of their last two flags when they were caught cheating  ::).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Carvels Ring

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #143 on: April 22, 2010, 04:36:04 PM »
Gee theres gonna be some heads banged together over this.  imagine how the players feel?  :-[

FNM

« Reply #144 on: April 22, 2010, 04:38:47 PM »
I'm with you CUB. I sure wish Dimwittyou and little Ando had the BALLS to strip Carltank of a couple of their ill-gotten Premierships.
Will put our game to shame they didn't do this and the NFL did against a side they desperately want to succeed

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2010, 04:45:08 PM »
NRL had to do it. if they went soft they would get killed in the media of letting cheater win in afl area.

Offline Carvels Ring

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2010, 04:48:12 PM »
They had two sets of books.  heads are gonna roll.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2010, 04:51:59 PM »
NRL had to do it. if they went soft they would get killed in the media of letting cheater win in afl area.

Totally agree

The NRL set the precedent in 2004 (?) with Canterbury and they have remained tough on what is cheating

It certainly will hurt NRL in Victoria

It will interesting to see what some of these palyers do now, the ones with the outside deals because you would assume somehow those agreements cann no longer be honoured

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2010, 04:55:34 PM »
Gee theres gonna be some heads banged together over this.  imagine how the players feel?  :-[
Devastating for players who are innocent. Some of the higher profile players will move onto other clubs for the Storm to get back under the cap by next year. Seeing Slater, Inglis and co. running around up north for other clubs will be hard to take for supporters.

It's hard to see the Club surviving. Their history has effectively been erased and the brand is now heavily tarnished. The team will inevitably fall down the ladder through loss of its star players and financially the club will take a massive hit in one of the most competitive sporting markets in the world with 4 football codes - the NRL being a minor code down here and two new clubs in other codes starting up. We saw what happened to Carlton financially in a pro-AFL town. They needed $1m from the AFL plus Pratt's $$$ to get back on their feet. The Storm don't have that support.

This affects the Rebels as well given who they poached from the Storm to run the new rugby union club.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2010, 05:01:20 PM »
Devastating for players who are innocent. Some of the higher profile players will move onto other clubs for the Storm to get back under the cap by next year. Seeing Slater, Inglis and co. running around up north for other clubs will be hard to take for supporters.

Actually it will be interestng to see what these high profile players do to be honest

Great test of character for them. DO they stay or do they go? They should stay as they helped create this mess.

What is really sad is the NRL in Victoria has always wanted to be front page news and the lead story on the 6.00pm news and tonight they will be for all the wrong reason
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)