Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 288052 times)

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #2385 on: September 14, 2022, 03:51:38 PM »
Hold on a minute

So I'm clear

Within 48 hours of the decision the AFL ticked it off. Said there was clear vision to prove it was a point. But vision they've never released.

Now 2 weeks later there is a suggestion that the proof is the "crowd vision "

Seriously?  What the?

This means that there was no other vision and they stuffed up.

Just admit you stuffed up and we move on. None of us will like it, we'll still be peeved but at least there is some sort end to it

Just more of the same from HQ. Stupidity, excuses ans no accountability

The ARC checked with Gill on the night who was apparently sitting somewhere he could see it and he texted them it was a point

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2386 on: September 20, 2022, 05:19:53 AM »
Dimma last night on AFL360 was asked about his trip to the ARC:

Robbo: How's the ARC?

Whateley: Every day Richmond supporters are asking where's the definitive version. Did you see anything that left you walking away going 'ok that was definitive'?

Hardwick: What I will say is they were terrific the people in the ARC. We had Scotty there, Dills, Dan Richardson and two other gentlemen that were terrific. And they went through exactly their process and were adament that the way they went through it came to the conclusion they got. To us it was ... and our biggest thing was the process. If I sat there and the goal umpire made the decision that it was a behind, based on that vision I couldn't categorically say it was a goal. So I would be happy with the umpire's call. So it was more about the process. To the AFL's credit, I think what they are now doing is they are going to say the [goal] umpire doesn't have to make a decision which is really really smart. There was never going to be a great right or wrong answer if that makes sense. At the end of the day, we're really happy with the process they took us through.

Whateley: They didn't send you away with some laminated freeze frame to say this is the one?

Hardwick: They had some form of triangulation. My head started to explode at one stage. I thought I was looking up at the moons aligning and thought I don't know what is going on.

Robbo: You got a win because the umpire next year doesn't have to make a decision.

Hardwick: They are trying to get it better which is the important thing. And to the AFL's credit, they are always trying to improve the game.   

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2387 on: September 20, 2022, 09:05:21 AM »
Sounded to me Dimma was gagged and not convinced at all.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2388 on: September 20, 2022, 09:51:46 AM »
Of course he stuffing was.

The AFL have bullied everyone into not speaking one ill word about their precious performance; umpiring, goal umpiring, political agenda all is a no comment area the AFL enforces.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2389 on: September 20, 2022, 10:01:38 AM »
Sounded to me Dimma was gagged and not convinced at all.

Sounded to me like he was completely unconvinced by their BS but recognises what’s done is done

Broadsword

« Reply #2390 on: September 20, 2022, 10:39:38 AM »
To steal from CH, if you gave the AFL an enema you could bury it in a matchbox.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2391 on: September 20, 2022, 04:11:35 PM »
It's a shame Dimma didn't understand triangulation otherwise he could have ripped the AFL/ARC to shreds right in front of them. To use it you need in sync HD cameras with high frame rates to track the ball properly within the microsecond from different angles. The ARC clearly doesn't have that as if they did then ALL three cameras they showed us on the night would've showed the ball over the post simultaneously. The fact there was barely two camera angles that possibly did while the third clearly didn't demonstrates the cameras were either not in sync and/or had frame rates that were inadequate to make a definitive decision. The vision definitely isn't HD given how blurry it is.

All up though Dimma is right about us being upset with the process. If the goal ump has signaled a point then no one would be complaining. It's the fact the goal umpire signaled a goal and the ARC didn't follow the process of needing to show "definitive" proof to overrule the goal ump is what has ticked us all off. The ARC is meant to prevent and overrule clear howlers; not overrule the goal ump because they think differently in a 50/50 scenario to the goal ump.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2392 on: September 20, 2022, 05:29:15 PM »
How does removing the umpires call fix any of this? Just saves the afl embarrassment of when the ARC stuffs up is all I can see it doing.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #2393 on: September 20, 2022, 11:35:34 PM »
So Hocking must be rubbing his sweaty hands together as his plan comes to fruition.  Netball rules in place for his darlings hopefully they do their regular choke or will the fix be in
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2394 on: September 21, 2022, 09:48:59 AM »
How does removing the umpires call fix any of this? Just saves the afl embarrassment of when the ARC stuffs up is all I can see it doing.

Further to that

What happens if the faulty ARC system says they can not determine if something is a goal? What then? They go back to the ump or do they just guess?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2395 on: September 21, 2022, 04:51:01 PM »

Further to that

What happens if the faulty ARC system says they can not determine if something is a goal? What then? They go back to the ump or do they just guess?

I’d imagine with the goal umpires call being removed the arc will be responsible for making the decisions as best as they can with the footage that they’ll have. Majority of the time their footage is much worse then what the goal umpire can see live so it doesn’t really make sense

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2396 on: September 21, 2022, 06:35:16 PM »
Takes what makes our game great away, human error along with the shape of the ball makes it it unpredictable . To have electrical monitors turns it into a video game and not a ball game. How  does such a biased narcissist get so much power to makes changes unless it’s with the blessing of the afl board . Constant rules changes are without the support of the majority of members,
And they wonder why people are so frustrated as the game we love has been hijacked by the AFL idealists and sections of the media

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2397 on: October 18, 2022, 05:13:24 PM »
One of the worst goal umpiring decisions you'll ever see. The ball clearly went through the middle but was given a point :huh3. The Swans lost by just 4 pts so the decision in the end cost them the game.

https://twitter.com/DanielCherny/status/1582242279091503110

Until the AFL get serious about the worsening standard of officiating rather than shooting [fining] the messengers who point it out then these game costing howlers will only continue.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2398 on: October 18, 2022, 08:20:41 PM »
What the hell. It wasn't even close to the post lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2399 on: October 18, 2022, 08:56:11 PM »
Well I have been saying the standard of umpiring in the AFLW gets worse every season

With that dear reader I rest my case

But will just add if that happened in the AFL the media, the fans would be going berserk.

And I'll finish with this...

I understand why people are critical of the standard of the AFLW, I get it. But there is not a doubt in my mind, having followed the comp since it started 6 years ago that the pathetic standard of umpiring is not helping the competition and any way shape or form
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)