Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 465531 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #765 on: March 01, 2011, 02:05:39 AM »
Jack's a good sport    
Herald Sun
01-03-2011, Pg: 81

INJURED Richmond spearhead Jack Riewoldt is happy to show his allegiance to other sporting teams.

While his teammates took on Port Adelaide in Alice Springs, Riewoldt, wearing a Melbourne Rebels scarf, attended the chairman's dinner at AAMI Park on Friday...

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #766 on: March 03, 2011, 02:56:34 AM »
Richmond's young superstar Jack Riewoldt succeeds by just being himself
Mike Sheahan
Herald Sun
March 03, 2011

A SENIOR Richmond official was in earnest conversation on the phone with a Canberra bureaucrat on Tuesday when a missile whistled past his nose and into a wall of his office.

It was a miniature football kicked from the opposite corner of the general office and over a dozen work stations through the open door of the office of Simon Matthews, the club's general manager of media and stakeholder relations.

Matthews looked up to see the perpetrator cavorting as if he had just kicked the winning goal in a Grand Final, a huge grin on his face, arms raised in triumph, index fingers pointing skyward.

Jack Riewoldt being Jack Riewoldt.

He may be the latest addition to Richmond's leadership group of six, yet he remains a kid at heart.

They love him in administration at Punt Rd. He visits more than any other player, always yapping and smiling, generally up to mischief.

It's easy to believe, for that's the way he plays. With the unbridled spirit of youth, his heart on his sleeve. He loves playing football, flying for marks from any angle, kicking goals, celebrating those goals as if he were a European soccer striker.

He knows people can get the wrong impression, but says that's just him.

"I can come across that way because I love to play footy and I love to celebrate. Just generally love the club, the whole thing, and some people can take it the wrong way sometimes.

"I'm very loyal, very loyal to the club, so I'm very team-orientated, I know where I want the club to go.

"It frustrates you sometimes because you think, 'I'm not like that, I'm not trying to do whatever it is, that's just the way I am'.

"I was probably a little of the class clown at school (Rosny College, Hobart) and I love having a joke here (at the club)."

Riewoldt, 22, seems to have come a long way in a hurry.

His past two seasons have produced 110 goals from 42 games, an eighth in the best and fairest in 2009 and a win last year.

His 78 goals last year represented 32 per cent of Richmond's goals, 63 more than Andrew Collins, who was next best.

While his cousin, St Kilda captain Nick Riewoldt, runs his opponents into the ground, Jack likes to use his opponents as launching pads for his spectacular leap.

"It's something that I've always had in my footy. I love having fun and as long as we get the results that we want, I'll continue to play that way.

"The coach (Damien Hardwick) gives me a bit of leeway, but he's going to be the first bloke to pull me back into line if I stray from the path. I had the runner come out a few times last year.

"I enjoy taking risks. If I get a bit of licence, I'll take it. I'm not the greatest natural athlete; I'm not the strongest player in the league; I'm not the quickest player. I think I've just got an ability to fight for the ball and I have a love for the contest."

It was a skill nurtured in kick-to-kick at school, what he calls mark-and-jump.

He thinks he plays more like Hawthorn's Jarryd Roughead than his cousin. He has both of them covered for accuracy.

Jack converted at 66 per cent last year (78.39), a marked improvement on 32.27 in 2009.

It was a result of a tighter routine, lots of practice and the confidence that comes with success.

Unlike his counterparts at most other clubs, Riewoldt chose to do extra work last year on his tool of trade, both at Richmond and in private.

He would take 60-70 shots at goal once a week in a local park just to polish his routine. The conditioning staff might frown to learn he was doing the extra session, but the coaches - and Richmond supporters - would be happy.

The bread and butter kick, he says, is a set shot from 30-40m. He's had to teach himself not to kick the ball too hard.

"Putting it through post high looks good, but the reality is you've just got to get it there, post high or by 3cm.

"I just try to concentrate on the ball drop, get a good strike, kick to a spot behind the goals, a letter in an advertising sign. Even if it's a Peter Hudson mung (mongrel), they can still go through.

"Wouldn't mind kicking a torp, but I'm not sure how that would go down," he says with a wicked smile. I can't help thinking he will give it a try one day soon.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmonds-young-superstar-jack-riewoldt-succeeds-by-just-being-himself/story-e6frf9jf-1226014923194

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #767 on: March 03, 2011, 03:01:09 AM »
The day that almost ended the Tiger revival
By Mike Sheahan
Herald-Sun
Thurs 03 Mar 2011, Page 84

IT was a regulation marking contest in a training drill 10 days ago, a situation as natural for Jack Riewoldt as pulling on his footy boots.

This time, though, he landed awkwardly on his right knee.

Really awkwardly. To the point he feared dramatic consequences.

He had to be helped off Victoria Park, increasingly fearful of what the medicos might find in the rooms.

A scan revealed nothing more serious than bone bruising and Richmond's 2010 Coleman Medal winner will be ready to start the season on schedule against Carlton in front of an estimated 70,000 people under the MCG lights on March 24.

"It's coming along nicely," he told the Herald Sun yesterday.

"I must admit a few thoughts went through my head early on. No click or pop, but I remember thinking the body has done something it's not designed to do."

For the second time in little more than two years, a Riewoldt had survived a major knee scare.

Jack and his famous cousin, Nick, were having a kick on a Tasmanian beach at a family Christmas function in 2008 when the St Kilda skipper slipped and went to ground fearing the worst.

He suffered significant damage, but was nursed back to fitness without surgery.

"I was too quick for him and he slipped trying to get past me," the Richmond Riewoldt boasted yesterday.

The cousins are close and Jack relishes any opportunity to learn from Nick, on and off the field.

"I like to hear how he goes about it. I pick his brain a little bit; he's a pretty good player." Go on.

"I take the little bits of gold that he gives you. I'll talk to him a bit about how I play on a James Frawley or a Matty Scarlett.
He's got more stories, tried more things, got more tricks of the trade.

"He probably works as hard as anyone in the AFL. He's a great hit-up player. I like it when he catches it out in front of him, or runs back with the flight, like he did in that mark in Sydney a few years ago."

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #768 on: March 04, 2011, 05:05:18 AM »
The larrikin leader
By Jennifer Witham
6:52 PM Thu 03 Mar, 2011

GIVEN his occasional over-the-top celebrations and larrikin nature, Jack Riewoldt's elevation to Richmond's leadership group is something of a surprise.

On field, Jack's talent speaks for itself. He’s the reigning Coleman Medallist and he has become a new focus for Tiger fans in the post-Richo era.

He's played 68 games for 135 goals. All before he turned 22 in October last year.

As the goals flowed and the Dream Team points grew last year, inevitable attention was drawn to his flamboyant personality; his cheekiness, his assuredness, and his occasional recklessness.

Although you generally want your power forwards to come with a touch of arrogance, you don't want any sense of self-importance to dominate the mix.

At times in his career, it's been this aspect of Jack that's made people consider him immature and content with his own success, despite the Tigers' recent lean seasons.

Assessing the club's list at the end of the 2010 season, assistant coaches Danny Daly and Brendon Lade wrote this of their star full-forward on afl.com.au:

"Next year is a really important year for Jack. He's going to be really focused on by the opposition, so he's got to become a little more team-oriented and has to work a bit on his defensive side as well. But if we get anything like last year, we'll all be pretty happy."

For all that, there's another side to Riewoldt. He has an infectious personality that makes it easy to see why his teammates voted him into the leaders' forum.

Their move to do so could also prove to be a masterstroke in the development of a more rounded, more focused player.

I got to know Jack well during the 2010 International Rules tour of Ireland, both as an observer of how he interacted with his teammates and in a work sense, when he was commissioned before departure to write a diary of his experiences for afl.com.au.

Initially, Jack drove me mad. Quite seriously mad. He avoided me when he knew I was after him for an entry, he deliberately gave me clichés so he wouldn't have to think too hard when I caught him and he was constantly in a hurry to go and do something more interesting.

He was briefed before the trip on the diary's requirements and knew all too well there was a photo component involved.

When I asked him to send his happy snaps to my work email address, he informed me his camera was in his suitcase and he wasn't planning on it seeing the light of day.

By day three, I had decided Jack was full of himself, and that this was going to be a tedious project that would end in me commissioning someone to throw him into Dublin's River Liffey.

Then something changed. I'm not even sure what prompted the shift, other than perhaps Jack realised I wasn't trying to make him back page news.

Or maybe he just decided it was easier to chat every second day for five minutes - and pose for a few photos every now and then - than have me wait outside the lift before breakfast each morning.

I started to get to know Jack. He opened up and he even started having fun with the concept.

I realised he's a self-confessed class clown who loves being the centre of attention. A typical full-forward.

He's not malicious and doesn't put other people down in his attempt to stand in the spotlight. In fact, it's usually quite the opposite.

Jack's ability to laugh at himself is extraordinary. For someone so focussed with on-field success and perfection, his tendency to be first in line to make fun of himself is quite remarkable.

In Ireland, we spent a day and night at the six-star Dromoland Castle in County Clare. It was the players' first full day off while on tour and they were given the afternoon to enjoy the Castle's expansive list of activities.

A large group of players, spearheaded by Jack, headed straight down a path to the clay shooting range. What started as a relaxing afternoon of down time soon morphed into a rambunctious and vocal competition between half the squad over who could best wield a rifle.

Brad Green set the bar high with a perfect 10/10. After a spate of good-natured heckling towards his teammates as they less successfully took to the mound - Jack took his turn.

He missed every single shot, with the commentary from behind increasing in volume as each intact target sailed gently over the trees.

Jack, shattered with his result but intent to not let an opportunity pass for him to be the man of the moment, voiced every excuse in the book for his inaccuracy before conceding he was just no good with a gun.

Then, he challenged Brisbane’s Todd Banfield - who also failed to connect slug to pigeon - to a shoot off to see who was officially the worst shot in the team.

They went shot for shot, missing all until Jack's second last round. This time, something went right. He clipped the corner of the plate and finally sprayed the fragments of clay into a satisfying explosion.

It was like he'd kicked the winning goal in a Grand Final. Arms raised and pumping fists, Jack played his inadequacies up to his crowd like he would a soaring goal at the MCG on a Saturday.

Simply, Jack can be described by three 'Ls'.

Larrikin - the guy who paid an Irishman 50 Euro for his Ernie costume on Halloween so he could stand out more than a 195cm Aussie redhead otherwise would in a Dublin nightclub.

Labrador - the guy who chases the ball like there's no tomorrow, kicks it with the youthful enthusiasm of a 12-year-old and jumps on other players as though his life depends on marking it.

Loveable - the guy who lost half his International Rules kit before the end of the first week, who's great with kids at family days, who actually takes his off-field ambassadorial roles seriously and simply loves what he does.

These are the things that have made him an ideal candidate to lead the Tigers alongside captain Chris Newman, Nathan Foley, Daniel Jackson, Brett Deledio and Trent Cotchin in 2011.

He's an atypical leader the young players of the club will relate to. When Jack gets serious - as he does whenever serious work is required - they'll know it will be time to knuckle down too.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/108751/default.aspx

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #769 on: March 25, 2011, 06:27:01 AM »
Jack has to be one of the best ever to readers of the flight of ball and knowing where and when to outposition his direct opponent one-on-one to create space where the ball will land. That 3rd qtr was freakish when we gave him plenty of supply and despite Carlton players flying to spoil the ball would still end up in Jack's mits everytime. If he was playing in the 80s when forward lines were left open he'd kick 150 in a season.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #770 on: March 25, 2011, 07:46:43 AM »
If He were playing in the 40s he would kick 250 :cheers

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #771 on: March 25, 2011, 07:50:03 AM »
Love it when he makes the opposition look stupid. You could see it on his opponents faces that they had no idea how to stop him and were at a bit of a loss.

Particularly like it when he stands there with a couple of defenders and the ball's coming in. The defenders inexplicably fall over in a direction away from the ball leaving Jack to simply take the ball in his lap. Think he did it twice last night. How does he do that?  :o

The only time he doesn't look like a chance is when he has 4 defenders all spoiling him, even then I wouldn't count him out. Pity supply dried up in the 4th quarter.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #772 on: March 25, 2011, 09:16:23 AM »
How good is it to have a guy that seems like a sure thing kicking for goal inside 50.

He is an absolute freak, defenders have no idea against him, he doesn't use hands in the back and he keeps his feet in a contest while defenders fall over themselves.

If we can start getting 50+ I50's a match, Jack will kick more, but create plenty from just his dropped marks and creativity.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #773 on: March 25, 2011, 09:48:24 AM »
If we can start getting 50+ I50's a match, Jack will kick more, but create plenty from just his dropped marks and creativity.

You're right wayne. It's great to have a forward that will create so well for other team mates even when he's basically out of a contest. He's always trying to bring the ball down to a crumber or tap the ball to advantage. How he manages to concentrate on marking the ball and have enough nous to know where his team mates are in the event that he doesn't take it I'll never know. His ability to keep his feet in a contest is exceptional.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #774 on: March 25, 2011, 12:38:41 PM »
Will be better if we can develop Astbury or Griffiths and therefore a tall sticks with him and therefore one on Jack will add another dimension to our forward line and will create more chances in the forward line. Scary just thinking about it.

10 FLAGS

« Reply #775 on: March 25, 2011, 01:52:47 PM »
Will be better if we can develop Astbury or Griffiths and therefore a tall sticks with him and therefore one on Jack will add another dimension to our forward line and will create more chances in the forward line. Scary just thinking about it.

Im not discounting Taylor from this little equation either at this stage of the proceedings. If he develops as we hope he'll be a handy goalkicker himself IMHO.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #776 on: March 25, 2011, 02:00:19 PM »

Im not discounting Taylor from this little equation either at this stage of the proceedings. If he develops as we hope he'll be a handy goalkicker himself IMHO.

Plethora of options. We should have a small forward now. Jack is usually up against two or three in a contest surely that leaves someone without a man. We need someone like a Milne, Betts, Ballantyne type to kick those two or three cheap goals that opposition fans just love to hate.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #777 on: March 25, 2011, 02:03:03 PM »

Plethora of options. We should have a small forward now. Jack is usually up against two or three in a contest surely that leaves someone without a man. We need someone like a Milne, Betts, Ballantyne type to kick those two or three cheap goals that opposition fans just love to hate.

This is where I believe Nahas can do his best work, let him work his butt off around Jacks feet and inside 50, where he can run, chase, tackle, harrass and blind turn all he likes and where it is impossible for him to take any more than one bounce....

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #778 on: March 25, 2011, 02:14:41 PM »
I've never seen a forward who is so efficent in front of goal. The only time he looks shaky is when he moves beyond 40. The only goal he missed was when he curled his normally staright run up in an effort to get more penetration on the kick. Griffiths and Taylor in the 50 would make our avenue to goal far more unpredictable but the rest of the team has such confidence in the fellow it is hard to avoid not targeting him  :-\

Just an absolute star!

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #779 on: March 25, 2011, 02:37:38 PM »
Wayne Carey mk 2