Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 466169 times)

dwaino

Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #2535 on: February 27, 2014, 12:49:42 PM »
I won't be happy until he is big enough to play OL in the NFL.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2536 on: February 28, 2014, 10:50:45 PM »
Prima donna, drama queen and football’s Jana Pittman ... Everything Richmond’s Jack Riewoldt is not.

Sam Edmund
Herald Sun
February 28, 2014 6:58PM

Is Jack Riewoldt a victim of tall poppy syndrome?

JACK Riewoldt loosely leans over his ball on the seventh tee at California’s world-famous Pebble Beach Golf Links.

The Pacific Ocean waves pound the surrounding cliffs as he prepares to attack the green on the windy par 3.

He makes good contact, his ball sailing towards a pin surrounded by six bunkers.

To the amazement of at least two witnesses, the ball bounces several times before diving into the hole. It’s a phenomenal feat — a hole-in-one on one of the most beautiful and challenging courses on the planet.

It’s a shot that elevates Riewoldt into elite golf company, with American great Tom Weiskopf acing the same hole way back in the 1982 US Open.

Unfortunately for Jack, he is staring at a giant projector screen some 13,000km from the real Pebble Beach on an X-Golf simulator at Malvern’s House of Golf.

Welcome to Riewoldt’s sanctuary; a place where he can escape the ever-increasing public glare. Sadly, escaping is something he has felt the need to do a bit of lately.

After falling out of Richmond’s leadership group, a self-imposed media ban has again drawn down the magnifying glass on a character who polarises opinion like few others.

Those who know him insist you couldn’t find a more genuine bloke; one who cares enormously for his teammates, is generous to his friends and lives and plays with passion. Passion — it’s a word you hear a lot when asking about Riewoldt.

Many who don’t know him use words like “prima donna”, “drama queen” and “football’s Jana Pittman” to discuss the matchwinning forward.

How the court of public opinion can be so dramatically different from that shared by Riewoldt’s inner circle is a mystery. But speak to enough people and you realise Riewoldt may be the most harshly judged and misunderstood man in football.

Everyone knows Riewoldt the footballer — two Coleman medals, an All-Australian, best-and-fairest and his club’s leading goalkicker in each of the past four years.

Riewoldt the person is a golf fanatic who plays off a handicap of four. He loves his hometown Hobart Hurricanes, the NFL, basketball, horse racing and just about any other sport out there.

He is more partial to a good red than a beer and he’s a keen Triple J listener. His support comes in no stronger form than childhood sweetheart Carly Ziegler, with the couple together since high school.

But on breakfast radio last month, Riewoldt appeared on his Gold FM slot to announce he was taking a vow of silence, upset at the reaction to him falling out of Richmond’s leadership group at the expense of Troy Chaplin.

“I won’t be doing any media at all, I’m sacking The Footy Show, I’m not doing Gold,” Riewoldt declared.

“Something I’ve really struggled with ... is really how I’ve been portrayed in the media. I’ve taken it upon myself to make my own decision that if I can’t be portrayed the way I want to be portrayed, then I’ll give it a miss.

“He (Chaplin) didn’t get the recognition he deserved from the media and from the outside world, so that was the thing that sort of cut me a little bit deep.”

The announcement sparked more ridicule for a player who has previously been criticised for his on-field body language.

Former player turned commentator Dwayne Russell didn’t hold back.

“Has Jack assessed this one bang on and do we get it wrong in the media? ... Or is this just another move from a drama queen and is Jack football’s new Jana Pittman?” Russell asked on 3AW.

“Can anything normal happen with Jack? It’s always a drama. Everything is bigger than it needs to be.”

To those who call Riewoldt a friend, his anger over the media’s oversight of Chaplin wasn’t a hollow statement. They say his care for his teammates is as sincere as it is genuine.

Shane Tuck shared a Tigers changeroom with Riewoldt for seven years. Asked who the real Riewoldt was, Tuck didn’t hesitate.

“We were on a pre-season camp and there were eight blokes in a room and I was as crook as a dog. I got some sort of virus up in Cairns and I woke up through the night spewing and I spewed all over my bed,” Tuck recalled.

“Jack was the only one who got up and helped me and we got down to the bathroom which was outside, 50m away. He sat with me during the night and got me something to eat and drink.

“I wasn’t expecting anyone to help me. How many blokes are willing to clean your spew up? He does have genuine care for his teammates and people misconstrue it because he’s a highly competitive person. I’ve seen him with kids, at clinics, at hospitals visiting people with cancer and people don’t put that in the papers sometimes.”

Former Tiger Sam Lonergan played in Tasmanian state teams with Riewoldt before both graduated to the AFL.

“He was the same back then and he has always been a very caring person. When he plays people just see a different thing,” Lonergan said.

“Sometimes when you’ve got that profile, people only see one thing. Jack is a rag character. He’s a good person, but he’s personality is very open and confident and that can be misinterpreted.”

But it’s the passion, seemingly hardwired into Riewoldt, that has caused him trouble inside the fence.

His excellent career has been pot-holed by look-away-now moments, from berating teammates to arguing with club officials.

Last year commentator Mark Maclure savaged Riewoldt for his body language.

“Jack Riewoldt, fair dinkum. What a prima donna. It’s about time he actually stood up himself and did something,” Maclure said.

“It has to be fixed by his peers. That’s his biggest problem. Are they strong enough to control him? He is totally in control of that club. (Brett) Deledio and (Trent) Cotchin have to handle this bloke. They have to change this guy and they have to make him one of them, because at the moment he’s not.’’

Maclure wouldn’t comment this week, but said his comments were based on years of watching Riewoldt closely.

Analyst and former Richmond assistant coach David King said Riewoldt’s emotional nature wasn’t suited to leadership.

“He doesn’t hide anything, he wears it on his sleeve and you can see how he’s feeling at all times,” King said.

“For those who know him they understand that’s Jack and they take it for what it is. In terms of being a leader that doesn’t go hand in hand. He’s not a rogue, but I can understand why he’s not in the leadership group.”

One of his Tassie mates, Brett Geappen, puts it like this: “He can rub blokes up the wrong way, but he’s so passionate it’s ridiculous.

“I reckon it’s his biggest strength. He’s like an 18-year-old kid in an AFL club in the sense that he’s so passionate and so bubbly. I’m obviously not with him at Richmond, but the blokes in that inner circle would know how passionate and keen he is. “

Richard Mulligan, the chief executive of the Clarence Football Club at which Riewoldt’s star started to rise, described it as “straight out passion”.

“He’s not an offensive person, but he pushes the envelope in a lot of ways. As a kid he was always the practical joker and if there was someone who was going to have one more drink than perhaps they should ...,” Mulligan said.

“But he wasn’t a bad kid, he was just a very spirited, happy, confident young man and I think half the trouble is he’s so confident a lot of people think it’s arrogance.”

Perhaps, when the gaze of the football world falls upon him, it’s a case of passion mistaken for petulance.

He cares what people think. Some say perhaps too much. Insiders say he was hurt when he didn’t make Mike Sheahan’s top 50 and in the wake of Maclure’s criticism he contacted the commentator and asked to catch up for a chat. Certainly, the obsession with him being “dumped” from the leadership group affected him.

Nick Dastey has chatted to Riewoldt often enough at the Long Island Golf Club he manages to be left angry when he hears Riewoldt talked of as a destructive diva.

“To be honest, it frustrates me so I can’t imagine how much it frustrates him. I couldn’t imagine any of those comments being further from the truth,” Dastey said.

“I would hate to be him in that situation because every time you read it, see it, or sitting in the car hearing it, he must just think, ‘Gee, that’s not the way I am. How does it come across like that?’”

You get the impression long-time Richmond coterie member Brian McCue could talk uninterrupted for an hour about Riewoldt’s qualities.

“This is one of the nicest people ... nothing is ever too much,” McCue said.

“The Jack I see people writing about is not the Jack I know. Yes, his body language isn’t great at times, but it’s born out of passion and you know if he mucked up he’d spend the whole week apologising.”

Riewoldt’s media ban appears to extend to the social variety. His 50,000 Twitter followers haven’t heard from him since February 11.

His profile photo is of a bunch of mates having a laugh. Jack is at the very back — you have to look closely to find him. It’s not the sort of photo you would associate with a self-obsessed “prima donna”.

But the last word has to go to one of his best mates. Few know Riewoldt better than Mitch McPherson after the pair met in their early teens.

McPherson lost his 18-year-old brother Ty to suicide last January and launched not-for-profit organisation “Stay ChatTY”. McPherson and a group of friends recently ran 328km from Burnie to Hobart to raise awareness for youth suicide.

Who was waiting for them at the finish line? Riewoldt, who despite being in the middle of pre-season, flew down to show support.

“He was happy to speak to the news down here and pose for photos, sign autographs and then he came to the function as well. His generosity is amazing in all sorts of ways,” McPherson said.

“He’s a great fella and a good friend and he was one of the first people to call me when we lost Ty and he was down at the funeral. The other night at the function he put money on the bar and he didn’t want me to say anything either.

“He’s not a show pony. We speak about that criticism of him all the time, us boys down here. He’s just not that sort of person.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/prima-donna-drama-queen-and-footballs-jana-pittman-everything-richmonds-jack-riewoldt-is-not/story-fni5f9jb-1226841171483

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #2537 on: February 28, 2014, 11:07:54 PM »
#standbyflogs
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2538 on: March 01, 2014, 11:34:33 AM »
Good article, RFC backing their boy by getting a feel good story out there. I'm feeling a bit Bojangles right now  :clapping
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2539 on: March 01, 2014, 03:41:52 PM »
He just needs to stop telling the umpires and team mates off and the cameras that continuously follow him hoping for this behaviour will soon have to aim elsewhere. All perception born from body language and the mantle of being our new forward following Richo

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2540 on: March 01, 2014, 04:53:03 PM »
A lot of the time he is directing (leading) his team mates: where to run. How to zone. I assume reinforcing the game plan people are not adhering to. Not often does he crack it due to a rubbish kick or him not being the target. I'd argue he is smarter than most players in regards to footy smarts. Unselfish too is. Gives of assists. Reasonably tough to argue against in the clubs most important four alongside lids chimp dusty

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #2541 on: March 01, 2014, 05:37:14 PM »
Durable, skillful, clever, unselfish, and loyal. Yet some 'fans' chose to hate on him because he carries on a bit every now and then.
I actually like that he's a bit of a dill. One of the few characters in a league full of metro robots.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #2542 on: March 01, 2014, 09:01:46 PM »
Every team has a multitude of characters in it, but good teams make sure that the characters don't hurt the side.

Good players don't let their character overshadow their football unless it helps them to do so.

If Riewoldt and Richmond master those two things then him being a flog will matter nought.

Gerks 27/6/11

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2543 on: March 01, 2014, 09:37:55 PM »
Good players win colemans twice in early 20s

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2544 on: March 01, 2014, 09:42:13 PM »
Durable, skillful, clever, unselfish, and loyal. Yet some 'fans' chose to hate on him because he carries on a bit every now and then.
I actually like that he's a bit of a dill. One of the few characters in a league full of metro robots.

:clapping Big Willy ramming the point home as always

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #2545 on: March 01, 2014, 11:18:42 PM »

I think that sort of emphasises the point though.

Most people would say Riewoldt hasn't played the footy in the past couple of seasons that he played in those years and I think his 'other' issues have become more prevalent over that time.

Gerks 27/6/11

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #2546 on: March 01, 2014, 11:40:27 PM »
Every team has a multitude of characters in it, but good teams make sure that the characters don't hurt the side.

Good players don't let their character overshadow their football unless it helps them to do so.

If Riewoldt and Richmond master those two things then him being a flog will matter nought.

He's not a perfect person or a perfect player. But I would say he has strengthened far more than he has 'hurt' our side since his debut.

People are pretty quick to call him a poo bloke too, from the safety of their desk chair of course. But I wonder how much time they've spent with him. I wouldn't judge anyone like that before I'd met them, let alone one of our players.

The fact that he signed quickly for a lot less than he could have got elsewhere, at least show that he loves the club.

On a side note, Mark Maclure... Really. Its embarassing listening to his rants on 774. He gets all worked up like he's saying something profound but he talks absolute nonsense. I remember when he used to get Krak and Tambling confused constantly. 
If he wasn't a past player he'd be in a nursing home right now.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 04:04:32 AM by one-eyed »

tony_montana

« Reply #2547 on: March 02, 2014, 12:18:05 AM »
Just want him to run more, harder and longer. 2011 he was one of the best players to watch in the comp, excitement machine. Then was injured so excused in 2012, but 2013 just didnt like his lack of run and the short leads to the pocket and calling for it over the top. I feel for the bloke, has obviously taken it really hard and good on him for his big FU to the media. Nothing personal, just think he could be so much better than he is, has shedloads of ability and x factor.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2548 on: March 02, 2014, 12:40:14 AM »
Just want him to run more, harder and longer. 2011 he was one of the best players to watch in the comp, excitement machine. Then was injured so excused in 2012, but 2013 just didnt like his lack of run and the short leads to the pocket and calling for it over the top. I feel for the bloke, has obviously taken it really hard and good on him for his big FU to the media. Nothing personal, just think he could be so much better than he is, has shedloads of ability and x factor.

Hardwick game plan

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #2549 on: March 02, 2014, 11:13:48 AM »

I think that sort of emphasises the point though.

Most people would say Riewoldt hasn't played the footy in the past couple of seasons that he played in those years and I think his 'other' issues have become more prevalent over that time.

I agree that his best year was his first coleman. I thought he was pretty good last year, but certainly capable of more. I feel the same about Lids and Cotch, by the way.
But that does not mean that his 'attitude issues' are to blame for his output. Team dynamics, injuries, opposition team's focus, plain old 'form' etc. are to blame IMO, not his cockiness. He was the same bloke when he was dominating a couple of years ago.

I think his dummy spits are way overstated too. Sure he points the finger a fair bit, but most of this is probably warranted. He is smart player and knows the game plan.
It's just easy fodder for the media to focus on these things. People like cutting down people with a profile. Its a sad element of human nature.

I reckon if Jack was really the jerk that some people make him out to be, he would be out on the town kicking up as stink every other week. He's squeaky clean off the field, and on the field too, at least it in terms of suspensions.