Author Topic: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]  (Read 465572 times)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jack Riewoldt - Triple Coleman medallist [merged]
« Reply #3435 on: December 25, 2019, 05:58:12 PM »
Both are too slow for key back roles. Can't have them down there with Astbury IMO.

Balta' or just go with the Grimes/Astbury/Broad combo like this year

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3436 on: December 26, 2019, 04:21:11 PM »
The team will evolve as it has to but a 30+ Jack is too slow to try in the backline now. His footy smarts and tricks would also be wasted down there. We need our young talls instead to step up in defence just as Soldo did in the ruck this year. Balta to date hasn't shown anything yet as an AFL defender. With no Rance, we need him to just in case Grimes or Broad get injured.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3437 on: March 01, 2020, 05:59:04 AM »
Riewoldt reflects on 'scary' moment amid CTE debate

By AAP
Feb 28, 2020

The sight of Jack Riewoldt, on all fours, peering out from the stairs behind the MCG bench was the source of some mirth a decade ago but a lot has changed since then.

Riewoldt, legs barely under him, was helped from the ground between two trainers in the first quarter of a round two, 2011, clash with St Kilda after his head smacked the turf following an ambitious marking attempt.

The clearly-concussed Richmond spearhead was chastised in some quarters for remonstrating with medical staff who, quite rightly, were about to substitute him out of the game.

Riewoldt was asked about the incident in the aftermath of Graham "Polly" Farmer's shock brain disease diagnosis on Thursday.

The AFL had already taken steps forward in the treatment of concussion and head knocks back then.

But he believes his misfortune early in that drawn thriller is an example of how much league policy and public perceptions have continued to change for the better.

"You don't think straight when you've got concussion so I wasn't thinking straight that night," Riewoldt said.

"I look back on that and it scares me a bit more than anything else really.

"I know it looks funny and it looks a bit unusual, but it's clear vision of what concussion can do to you and how it can make you think."

Researchers have revealed that Farmer has been posthumously diagnosed with Stage III chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) following tests on the former champion ruckman's brain.

Farmer is the first AFL player to be diagnosed with the disease believed to be caused by repeated head knocks and concussions, which is only able to be diagnosed after death.

Like many of his AFL colleagues, Riewoldt has concerns about his health now and long after his decorated career is over.

But he is also confident all that can be done is being done.

"The game has come so far in so many aspects but the medical area is where it's accelerated more than anywhere else," he said.

"There's just a huge emphasis on player safety, especially when head injuries are involved.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/riewoldt-backs-afl-on-concussion-policy/eb5a6d6b-f915-45a6-928c-183ef2ab3d0c

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3438 on: April 03, 2020, 04:23:00 PM »
‘Hey all you cool cats and kittens’: Tiger star channels Tiger King as he goes loco in isolation

April 3, 2020
FOX SPORTS

Getting used to life in isolation is hard work – and if Jack Riewoldt is anything to go by, AFL players are also finding this new world order all a bit much.

With some new-found time on his hands, the dual Richmond premiership player has really upped his Instagram game. And he’s given us a huge laugh (thank you!) in the process.

Channelling his inner Tiger King - a series on big cat breeding in America – Riewoldt has morphed himself into two documentary’s protagonists in Joe Exotic and Carole Baskin.

As his cousin and St Kilda champion Nick Riewoldt said: “I’ll never be able to unsee this.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2020-jack-riewoldt-tiger-king-joe-exotic-carole-baskin-coronavirus-updates/news-story/96a12b5dd1cd32583ef9da8f9d7255df

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3439 on: April 06, 2020, 10:33:22 PM »
Tigers star shares footy and personal toll of self-isolation

April 6, 2020 6:59pm
Ben Waterworth
FOX SPORTS

Dual premiership Tiger Jack Riewoldt has opened up on the struggles of self-isolation, personified by the day family members couldn’t visit to celebrate his daughter’s birthday in person.

With the AFL season temporarily shut down and strict physical distancing measures in place around the country due to COVID-19, Riewoldt said, like many worldwide, it’d been a tough period for him and his family.

Asked what he was missing most about footy at the moment, Riewoldt told Fox Footy Live: “Social interaction. That was the one thing I really missed with the fans earlier on.

“That Round 1 game (against Carlton in front of no fans) was as eerie and soulless as I’ve ever played. The interaction with staff members, I miss seeing my mates at the club.

“I miss seeing my family as well. My daughter’s turned one and neither of her grandparents could come over for her first birthday. That’s just the human aspect that everyone’s dealing with at the moment, missing loved ones.

“The personal touches is the one we all crave.”

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan reiterated on the weekend the league’s hope for every team to play 17 games this season.

Riewoldt said Tigers officials had kept him and his teammates well informed about any developments, but the uncertainty of when the 2020 season could resume remained frustrating.

“Probably the hardest thing is we don’t have an end date,” he said.

“We are preparing for that early June timeslot, but it may be July or August.

“It’s a tricky situation to navigate in terms of preparing and being ready to go, but we feel like we’ve got the right people in the right positions to get us there.”

Riewoldt said individual training programs were “starting to ramp up” as the playing group worked towards a possible early June restart.

“It’s all about maintaining those training standards, granted they are a little bit more difficult to do when you’re training by yourself or in twos and a lot of guys don’t have equipment with gyms shut down as well,” he said.

“The fact we’ve been able to catch up via Zoom and FaceTime with our coaches and physical coaches, they’ve been able to pick brains of players around what works and spread it out to the rest of the group.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-coronavirus-news-updates-2020-jack-riewoldt-daughter-fox-footy-live/news-story/e0c3ed7201cb95991ea00b2734ab2803
https://thewest.com.au/sport/richmond-tigers/jack-riewoldt-on-dealing-with-isolation-and-the-tiger-hes-happy-to-keep-at-a-distance-ng-1d4d31d0fb9376cdd9f778ab70e6c0c1

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3440 on: April 07, 2020, 07:34:02 PM »
I hope the season gets going for guys like Jack. Needed a solid 2020 to achieve the 300/700 I have hopes for

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3441 on: April 11, 2020, 07:21:14 PM »
The Tiger cubs Jack has taken under his wing

Find out which young Tigers are reaping the rewards from Jack Riewoldt's leadership. @SamLandsberger

Richmond vice-captain Jack Riewoldt wants to use the twilight years of his AFL career to tutor the club’s next generation so the Tigers carry on the premiership dynasty they are building.

Paywall: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-star-jack-riewoldt-has-evolved-into-one-of-the-clubs-great-leaders/news-story/dc59a3fd119a0692fb709773da79223e

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3442 on: April 11, 2020, 07:22:13 PM »
RIEWOLDT STARTING TO BOUNCE OFF THE WALLS

RSN927
10 April 2020

Jack Riewoldt says he’s starting to bounce off the walls in isolation without AFL football. He told the Breakfast Club about his training program away from Punt Road.

“I’ve been riding every second morning and then on the other days I go for a run.”

Like most AFL players, Riewoldt has established a makeshift gym at home but stressed the importance of practicing one of the most basic skills in AFL football.

“You’ve got to have hamstrings conditioned, calves and quads conditioned for kicking in AFL football otherwise you put yourself in a position that you’re more likely to be injured from that rather than anything else.”

The 3-time Coleman Medalist says he’s been spending a lot of time with one of Richmond’s young guns, Patrick Naish.

“I’ve got an oval at the end of my street. You’re allowed to train in twos.

“He’s one of my favourite people to spend time with but 20 minutes is enough time for your daily dose but after that you’re back to avoiding him like the black plague!”

The Vice-Captain says he misses the football club as a whole, not just the playing group.

“Everyone. Not just the players, I miss seeing the staff.”

“I’m really missing seeing my family, that’s one of the hardest things.”

With the return date still unknown, Riewoldt says getting off to a fast start once footy resumes will be crucial.

“I think the AFL are doing a fantastic job in terms of leaving no stone unturned in how they can provide the game to the fans.

“We just need to hit the ground running.

“Whatever the game does look like we’ve got to adapt like every other side.”

https://www.rsn.net.au/riewoldt-starting-to-bounce-off-the-walls/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3443 on: May 12, 2020, 02:48:04 AM »
AFL ace Riewoldt calls on Randle for celebrity Eseries preparations

By Brett Murray
Speedcafe
6 May 2020

Thomas Randle (left) and Jack Riewoldt

Two-time AFL Premiership-winning player Jack Riewoldt is taking this month’s BP Supercars All Stars Eseries celebrity race as serious as his footy with the help of Thomas Randle.

A delay to the celebrity event until Monday, May 18 will give the goal-kicking whiz more time to prepare at Randle’s new Dream Simulation complex in Melbourne and the 31-year-old is not wasting a minute of the opportunity.

He is also receiving personal tuition from Randle, but the regular Dunlop Super2 Series driver might be regretting that after Riewoldt turned his inaugural one-hour session into a four-hour enduro last night.

“When I heard about the celebrity race my immediate thought was ‘how can I get in this field’,” said Riewoldt.

“I love everything about the sport and I admire the drivers and the crews so much and to have a few hours on the Dream Simulator with Thomas was an absolute thrill.

“I’m not lying, I deadset struggled to sleep after the session on the sim.

“All I was thinking about was braking spots and gear changes, it was so much fun.

“Poor old Tommy had booked me in for an hour. We didn’t leave until just before midnight about four hours later, I was hooked.”

Riewoldt on the Dream Simulator set-up

Others to join Riewoldt in the celebrity event will include Supercar team owners Brad Jones and Barry Ryan, former driver and now commentator, Neil Crompton, Australian cricketers Brad Hodge and Peter Siddle, Parramatta Rugby League player Nathan Hindmarsh and surfer Luke Egan.

Riewoldt has become a Supercars fan through a friendship with two-time Supercars champion Scott McLaughlin with the pair developing a popular weekly podcast, Balls and Bumpers.

And the dual Coleman medallist, an award for the most goals kicked in an AFL season, is an unabashed fan of the category and is a regular attendee at races, most recently the Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 last year where he celebrated McLaughlin’s victory.

Randle helped coach Riewoldt through his session assisting with braking points, gear changes, driving lines and dealing with traffic.

“I was so impressed with his drive to want to get better, he asked so many questions and you could see on his face how hard he was working. It was great fun and I’m pleased he enjoyed it,” said Randle.

“I pity the cricketers, rugby league players and surfers who have to come up against him in the race, he should be one of the favourites.

“This is super cool to have an AFL superstar down here on the Dream Simulator to learn the ropes.

“You can tell from his first session with us what a competitive beast he is and how well he wants to go in this – he doesn’t want to embarrass himself, but he also wants to win the thing, which I like.”

Riewoldt was happy to start the opposition sledging early for the celebrity event.

“Surely Neil (Crompton) is too old to go sim racing, he’ll have to dust off the Atari to get set to race us,” laughed Riewoldt.

Randle will act as Riewoldt’s assistant for the celebrity race where he’ll again use the Dream Simulator.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/05/06/afl-ace-riewoldt-calls-on-randle-for-eseries-preparations/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3444 on: May 13, 2020, 02:59:52 AM »
Our guest this Friday is now a dual premiership player with the mighty @Richmond_FC. @JackRiewoldt08 has spanned 13 years and has an AFL Hall of Fame resume in the making. Hear how he has made himself into a leader on and off the field. Thanks once again to the team @NationalMake .

https://twitter.com/CoreyMcKernan/status/1259724235183775744

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3445 on: May 13, 2020, 02:47:00 PM »
Richmond star Jack Riewoldt is working hard in simulator to prepare for Bathurst race

Anya Whitelaw
Western Advocate
13 May 2020

HE might be the king of Tigerland, but trying to be king of the Mount is a very different prospect for Richmond AFL star Jack Riewoldt.

Next Monday Riewoldt will be sitting in a simulator and taking on Bathurst's iconic Mount Panorama circuit as a competitor in the Supercars celebrity race.

As a two-time premiership player, a three-time Coleman Medallist - the award given to the AFL's leading goal-kicker - as well as a three-time All-Australian, there's no doubting that Riewoldt is a competitor.

That is why he has been spending plenty of time in the simulator under the guidance of Super2 series driver Thomas Randle and been picking up pointers from current Supercars champion Scott McLaughlin prior to his Bathurst test.

"I've been down there punching out a few laps around the mountain and look, I started on a pretty low base, so I've rapidly improved," Riewoldt told Supercars SideTracked.

"I couldn't get much worse, I think I crashed about 25 times in my first lap around there.

"I'm getting better slowly and I think I've still got another couple practice runs before Monday night."

Though Riewoldt has never raced an actual Supercar, he was taken on a hot lap of Sandown three years ago by McLaughlin.

It gave the Tigers star some idea of what a Supercar is capable of.

"I've been lucky enough to do a lap with Scott around Sandown about three years ago, it was on the eve of the 2017 preliminary final," he said.

"I just got the feel for what it was like, Scotty said he was basically going about 70 percent."

While there are plenty of simulator nuances Riewoldt is coming to terms with, there is one area of virtual racing that stands on top of his list of challenges.

"The braking thing is probably what I've found the most amazing thing," he said.

"The speed's there, but it's the ability to brake and how quick they corner is something you never really know until you've been in a Supercar or been in a car that goes like that.

"My goal is before the race, I want to get down to 2:08, 2:09 for a lap around Mount Panorama in a simulator.

"I'm getting better, about two seconds better every time, so with another 14 visits to the simulator I think I'll be down there."

Another of the celebrities who will take part in the race, former Supercars driver and now commentator Neil Crompton joked he has "done exactly nothing" to prepare for his return to Mount Panorama.

"I had a couple of goes [in a simulator] about three weeks ago and they were average ... but it's a fair line up," he said.

The celebrity race will be streamed live on the Supercars Facebook page from 7pm.

THE BATHURST CELEBRITY DRIVERS: Angus Ta'avao, Barry Ryan, Blake Williams, Brad Hodge, Brad Jones, Dan Reardon, Daniel Bowles, Jack Riewoldt, Jarman Impay, Luke Egan, Mick Doohan, Nathan Hindmarsh, Neil Crompton, Peter Siddle, Ryan Story, Scott Pedder, Toby Price, Zak Brown.

https://www.westernadvocate.com.au/story/6753719/king-of-tigerland-riewoldt-hopes-to-rule-at-the-mount/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3446 on: June 09, 2020, 07:19:07 PM »
An honest Jack Riewoldt admits he struggled to train after initially losing motivation during the footy shutdown. The Tigers goal kicker reached out to an AFL great to recapture his best and has returned leaner and lighter to help extend his career. @SeanSowerby7 #7AFL #7NEWS

Watch here: https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1270277802323963904

* Cousin Nick who is still fit as anything helped Jack get back into a routine during the lockdown.

* Jack is now lighter and feels better than ever. He hopes he hasn't stuff things up by becoming lighter. This season is going to be won by those who stand up both physically and mentally over the course of the whole season.

* Despite having won a number leading goalkicking awards, he knows with Lynch now in our forward line that that has changed.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3447 on: June 10, 2020, 09:56:40 PM »
A lighter jack in his age is a good thing.i think hodge said once he passed 28 he went in 1 kg lighter each year as it was easier on his joints?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3448 on: June 11, 2020, 03:34:46 AM »
A lighter jack in his age is a good thing.i think hodge said once he passed 28 he went in 1 kg lighter each year as it was easier on his joints?
Richo lightened off later in his career. From memory in 2004 they tried to bulk him up and play him as a stay at home forward but that didn't work for him or the team. So he lost the bulk and ended up almost winning a Brownlow playing on a wing in 2008.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Buddysucks

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3449 on: June 11, 2020, 10:08:13 PM »
Might need to start focussing on more footy and less media / Bathurst after tonight’s showing.