Author Topic: The Charlie Cameron phenomenon....  (Read 1461 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
The Charlie Cameron phenomenon....
« on: May 16, 2014, 11:12:08 AM »
Like many here, I watched the Crows vs Pies match last night.
I watched a young indigenous kid in his first game called Charlie Cameron win some incredibly important possessions and put incredible pressure on the Pies backmen with running and chasing.  I would say he was a vital cog in turning the game.  The guy can seriously play even though he is only 72kg.

I suggested that a guy called Richard Bourne should have been selected by us as a late draft choice or rookie last year.  Similar profile to Charlie - lightning fast with great skills but the club didn't pick him.

Why won't our club take risks with late picks or rookies on these types of players. They are game changers and add flair and X factor to a side. Surely late picks or rookies are perfect for these types.

Thoughts?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

tony_montana

Re: The Charlie Cameron phenomenon....
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 11:24:15 AM »
 :clapping :clapping 

Its extremely frustrating. Yes I understand its good to have some experienced depth in the squad but at the same time surely there is room to give one or two similarly skillsetted young guys a chance. Got to keep churning through prospects to have a chance of unearthing a game! its a numbers game

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 11:29:16 AM »
Should've got him instead of Banfield or even Gordon
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 11:37:08 AM »
But quite often the X-Factor in these types is you never know which player will turn up on the day. The one with the mercurial genius or the one that goes completely missing with two touches to their name. They generally also have less to offer in a forward defensive role. All cream and no cake.
Sure its great to have a surprise package but you can't build a reliance on them to do a job for 4 quarters and more often than not they just end up as another flash in the plan. If you run the stats I think you will find that more of these types fail than succeed. In today's game, if you run a weak link for more than a quarter, opposition teams will expose you big time.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 11:53:23 AM »
But quite often the X-Factor in these types is you never know which player will turn up on the day. The one with the mercurial genius or the one that goes completely missing with two touches to their name. They generally also have less to offer in a forward defensive role. All cream and no cake.
Sure its great to have a surprise package but you can't build a reliance on them to do a job for 4 quarters and more often than not they just end up as another flash in the plan. If you run the stats I think you will find that more of these types fail than succeed. In today's game, if you run a weak link for more than a quarter, opposition teams will expose you big time.
So you pick guys like Banfield that have already failed.  Where is the sense in that?????? At least this way you have a chance of picking up a guy that's slipped through the cracks.  Cameron had an average of 17 pressure acts per game through the carnival last year - 7th overall.  He has translated that into the big time in front of 50,000 people.  The Crows took a risk and it looks to have paid off.
Our recruiting has reflected the way we have played our footy.  Trying to play safe, no risk taking.  That style never leads to the ultimate success.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 12:39:16 PM »
Charlie Cameron was one of my favourites last year. We don't draft indigenous kids though so I refused to get my hopes up.

dwaino

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 12:43:18 PM »
Where is Pickett expected to go? I'm not a fan of drafting these sorts too early because they're too inconsistent,  but if we could get one for an early second round it would be a great return to turn 2 or 3 games around a season even if they go missing for the rest.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 12:58:48 PM »
Where is Pickett expected to go? I'm not a fan of drafting these sorts too early because they're too inconsistent,  but if we could get one for an early second round it would be a great return to turn 2 or 3 games around a season even if they go missing for the rest.
Pickett should go top 10. Or close to it.

Nakia Cockatoo will be a later pick and is now injured and will miss Champs.

Jarrod Garlett should be 3rd round onwards.

Even a Vic kid like Cunico or McGrath would add some pace and class.

dwaino

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 01:00:58 PM »
Get it done, tigs2011  :clapping

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 01:08:18 PM »
Get it done, tigs2011  :clapping
Cunico is white. Get it done Tiges.  :clapping

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 01:11:42 PM »
Shannon Taylor was the one I was trying to think of but forgot. 20yo at Franga but originally from WA.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 01:54:00 PM »
i dont care what anyone says, a 20yo franga is past its used by date
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 02:00:52 PM »
i dont care what anyone says, a 20yo franga is past its used by date
:lol :clapping

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 02:23:53 PM »
Pickett should go top 10. Or close to it.

Nakia Cockatoo will be a later pick and is now injured and will miss Champs.

Jarrod Garlett should be 3rd round onwards.

Even a Vic kid like Cunico or McGrath would add some pace and class.
maybe we should just pick all of them on the basis that just one of them must make it.... ;D

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 02:33:20 PM »
So you pick guys like Banfield that have already failed.  Where is the sense in that?????? At least this way you have a chance of picking up a guy that's slipped through the cracks.  Cameron had an average of 17 pressure acts per game through the carnival last year - 7th overall.  He has translated that into the big time in front of 50,000 people.  The Crows took a risk and it looks to have paid off.
Our recruiting has reflected the way we have played our footy.  Trying to play safe, no risk taking.  That style never leads to the ultimate success.
Discards have their own set of challenges. I didn't want them to take Banfield either but in the same breath did Miles fail also because he was delisted? Look what happened with Garlett.
The reality is Charlie Cameron has only played one game of footy. A good one as you have pointed out but only one game. I'd like to see him play a few more games at the top level before saying anything about him.