Author Topic: 2006 Potential Draftees thread  (Read 25563 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2006 Potential Draftees thread - Calib Mourish article (The Australian)
« Reply #150 on: November 25, 2006, 03:03:17 AM »
Memory of dad drives teen
By Courtney Walsh
THe Australian
November 25, 2006

AFL draft bolter Calib Mourish is likely to be more emotional than most of his peers if selected today among the next crop of potential AFL stars.

The significance of today's draft means a great deal to Mourish because, if picked among the 91 spots available, it will allow him to better his dad, Gus.

It is not that Mourish, 18, wants bragging rights over his father, a bush star who also played in the WAFL, rather that he wants to make him proud.

The Geraldton boy's father, whose career was cut short when he required a kidney transplant, died two years ago, but his passing has given Mourish the drive to chase a career at the top level.

"It was pretty hard at first, but I was thinking to myself a few times, as I was sitting by myself, just thinking, 'I've just got to do it for dad. I've got to push through and get to the next level'," Mourish said.

"Dad played for Perth in the WAFL, but he lost a kidney and just stopped there, so to make that next level, pass my dad, would hopefully make him proud."

Mourish's path to possible selection differs from most of today's 1700 candidates, who are either trying to re-start a stuttering career or have played in the elite state junior competitions.

Mourish, whose bleached blond locks made him a standout at Clontarf's Midwest Academy in Geraldton this year, played only a couple of Colts games in the WAFL this season, preferring instead to play senior football in his home town, about four hours' drive north of Perth.

While his selection would surprise some, Clontarf Football Academy football operations manager Ashley Prescott, who is also Claremont's senior coach, believes Mourish, who at 189cm is taller than the AFL average, has serious talent.

"I reckon he is a real dark horse for the draft. A few of the AFL clubs said, 'You have got to get him down here for a couple of games, just to qualify him'," Prescott said.

"He's a bit of a Lance Whitnall type with fantastic hands, great skills, really good awareness.

"He's pretty raw, and he might need to lose a little bit of puppy fat, but he can play."

Mourish, who said he would dye his hair blue if picked up by Carlton, dreams of playing senior football at the MCG.

"This year's granny (grand final) I was actually there. One point. What a wicked game," he said.

"The roar, you think you're playing, and you just get cold shivers. It is such a wicked feeling.

"Playing, it would be whole different feeling. It would be totally different to what I'm used to playing on in Geraldton."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20816536-23211,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2006 Potential Draftees thread - Carl Peterson article (The Australian)
« Reply #151 on: November 25, 2006, 03:06:14 AM »
By Courtney Walsh
The Australian
November 25, 2006

Mourish's Clontarf stablemate Carl Peterson also looms as an unusual draft story, having worked as a grave-digger in Perth this year after graduating.

Peterson, 19, from Kununurra in the Kimberley, broke into Claremont's senior side late last season and is an exciting prospect, according to AFL national talent manager Kevin Sheehan.

"He is another interesting one. His vertical leap is incredible," Sheehan said.

"He takes off on Monday and lands on Thursday. He is a wonderful athlete."

The softly spoken Peterson, who weighs 70kg, described his stint in the WAFL as an eye-opener that would force him into the gym over summer.

"There are a lot of mature bodies," he said. "They are pretty big people, so I think I'm going to have to lift a few weights."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20816536-23211,00.html