Author Topic: Ben Miller [merged]  (Read 42109 times)

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ben Miller [merged]
« Reply #135 on: July 10, 2022, 10:23:34 AM »
I thought he was ok. Should have played on Chol from the first bounce.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #136 on: July 22, 2022, 11:14:22 PM »
AFL website saying Miller has a groin injury? I heard second hand that he was take off due to cramping?

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #137 on: July 22, 2022, 11:30:31 PM »
Probably just to get MR on. Will be fine haha.

Nice tackle

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #138 on: July 22, 2022, 11:32:31 PM »
AFL website saying Miller has a groin injury? I heard second hand that he was take off due to cramping?

On Twitter they are saying RFc bench said groin, Dimma in his presser said cramping and calf

Don't need to be Einstein to know what happened
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2022, 04:04:14 AM »
‘He couldn’t move’: Tigers explain sub call as contentious rule sparks debate amid thrilling finish

David Zita
Fox Sports
July 22nd, 2022 11:57 pm

Richmond defender Nathan Broad says Ben Miller was subbed out with “full body cramps” in the final quarter of Friday night’s draw with Fremantle at Marvel Stadium.

Miller - a key defender - was subbed off for small forward Maurice Rioli Jr midway through the final term but Miller’s ailment wasn’t immediately clear to viewers, with some sceptical of the move.

Speaking to foxfooty.com.au post-game, Broad provided insight on the youngster’s issue.

“Benny Miller had the full body cramps. He just couldn’t move,” he said.

“He could not move. He genuinely could not move. His whole body had shut down.

“He went off and then I thought Grimesy (Dylan Grimes) had pinged his hammy but he said it was just his glute, a little knock, so he’ll be right.”

Broad said young teammate Thomson Dow also suffered from the same issue “a couple of years ago”.

In his post-match press conference, Richmond coach Damien Hardwick said: “I think he had calf ... and was cramping quite significantly towards the end, but I think he tightened up in his calf as well.”

“Might be OK, I’m not too sure, I haven’t gotten a response yet.”

Herald Sun reporter Jon Ralph told Fox Footy that Miller was subbed off with a “groin injury”, while Matthew Richardson told channel seven Miller “was having his groins worked on earlier”.

“There’s always going to be suspicion around these changes because they seem so tactical in terms of the timing of it ... it’s why you’d love the AFL to make a decision cut and dried, they either miss the next week or they can be subbed whenever they want because there’s always suspicion about it.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/he-couldnt-move-tigers-explain-sub-call-as-contentious-rule-sparks-debate-amid-thrilling-finish/news-story/90a2a2fe5681e85e2a6aa191b6c03730

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2022, 08:55:27 AM »
Why was he subbed Soldo should have come off.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2022, 09:04:38 AM »
Theyre saying he was cramping or had an ankle. Truth is it was a strategic mistake. Nank or soldo shoukd of come off. Hardwicks not coaching well at the moment.

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2022, 09:52:51 AM »
Theyre saying he was cramping or had an ankle. Truth is it was a strategic mistake. Nank or soldo shoukd of come off. Hardwicks not coaching well at the moment.

Midway through the last you could see him struggling to move and keep defending. Played well nevertheless. Strange move to play Nank as a key forward, and you could tell he was a fish out of water.

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2022, 11:33:26 AM »
With the medical sub you don't get to choose which player to take off.  Its not a tactical opportunity, its a necessity.  Miller had to come off & what choice was there? 

Suggesting that we cheat the sub rule is ... well ... you reap what you sow ...

Ch7 were trying to raise suspicion that we pulled a tactical move by subbing Miller, so watch this space.  Now that trial by media is in progress expect the AFL to weigh up the case & then go with the Ch7 'evidence' of Miller sitting on the bench with no ice packs on.   

I really feel that Maurice should be in the 22 every week & never be the medical sub.   
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2022, 11:58:05 AM »
Think he has been more than servicable and for me its an indictment that we have been so loath to play him.
The more games he gets the better for them he will become.

Dunno about others but going by comments here some think Soldo was poor. I thought he was good especially first half and given there still is no Lynch i thought they actually got the structure right by playing Nankervis mostly fwd.
At the very least Nank was always going to drag a key defender away from Noah and Jack.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2022, 12:50:05 PM »
Should never have got Tarrant and fixtured Miller into best 22.

Tarrant has been great last month mind you, but crap list decision with where our needs are at with our depth.
Go Tigers!

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2022, 06:25:54 PM »
I actually think the numbers for key defenders are spot on. I also think getting Tarrant a smart and astute move. I just wish we did a similar thing with a key fwd and took a kid in the draft mirroring what we did with Tarrant and Gibcus.

People need to remember Astbury had just retired  Garthwaite was delisted and neither Tarrant or Gibcus were at the club.
We took Tarrant in trade period before the nd and did not know if a kpd would be available to us.
On top of this neither Miller or Nyuon had shown much and people were talking of delisting and Grimes was 30 and now 31 and imo is not really a kpd..

Tarrant will retire at the end of next year and so could grimes id like us to look at another kpd before that happens.

Kpd on the list

Tarrant 33yo 196/96
Balta  22yo 194/100. With  a dearth of key forwards and i realise people don't like the idea but he may be a longer term fwd.
Miller 22yo 198/96. Only really this has he shown he should be persevered with.
Nyuon 21yo 197/93 Not sure if he will make it personally have my doubts.
Gibcus 19yo 196/87. Have to remember while drafted as a KPD he is not a kpd atm. It will take a couple of more seasons to get the size and Strength to properly play the role.That is a young group and take Tarrant out it is inexperienced.

In a years time the numbers will be spot on when Tarrant retires. Because of question marks over Nyuon thats why id like us to target another kpd.

Tall defenders
Grimes 31yo 193/91. While capable of playing kp he is really the third tall or utility capable of playing smaller.
Broad 29yo 192/87 if there is no one else we could throw him in as a kp not ideal. Like grimes is more suited to play on like sized and smaller fwds.
Would not mind having a similar type and size as these two developing in the system.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2022, 08:31:05 PM »
Miller been solid. Ahead of biggie and an absolute keeper IMO

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2022, 08:41:17 PM »
Tarrant is now settled, knows our game and is teaching the kids in the backline . He is a good pick up and is earning his money.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #149 on: July 24, 2022, 09:07:25 AM »
I actually think the numbers for key defenders are spot on. I also think getting Tarrant a smart and astute move. I just wish we did a similar thing with a key fwd and took a kid in the draft mirroring what we did with Tarrant and Gibcus.

People need to remember Astbury had just retired  Garthwaite was delisted and neither Tarrant or Gibcus were at the club.
We took Tarrant in trade period before the nd and did not know if a kpd would be available to us.
On top of this neither Miller or Nyuon had shown much and people were talking of delisting and Grimes was 30 and now 31 and imo is not really a kpd..

Tarrant will retire at the end of next year and so could grimes id like us to look at another kpd before that happens.

Kpd on the list

Tarrant 33yo 196/96
Balta  22yo 194/100. With  a dearth of key forwards and i realise people don't like the idea but he may be a longer term fwd.
Miller 22yo 198/96. Only really this has he shown he should be persevered with.
Nyuon 21yo 197/93 Not sure if he will make it personally have my doubts.
Gibcus 19yo 196/87. Have to remember while drafted as a KPD he is not a kpd atm. It will take a couple of more seasons to get the size and Strength to properly play the role.That is a young group and take Tarrant out it is inexperienced.

In a years time the numbers will be spot on when Tarrant retires. Because of question marks over Nyuon thats why id like us to target another kpd.

Tall defenders
Grimes 31yo 193/91. While capable of playing kp he is really the third tall or utility capable of playing smaller.
Broad 29yo 192/87 if there is no one else we could throw him in as a kp not ideal. Like grimes is more suited to play on like sized and smaller fwds.
Would not mind having a similar type and size as these two developing in the system.

Absolutely agree in theory however when saying up how full our cap was and looking at KPF vs KPD stocks we are way down on KPF vs KPD. We really only could have afforded one FA top up players and IMO our greater need was a KPF like a Ben Brown type to support Lynch and Jack. Ideally we did both as you said but I'm sure our cap played a part in it, and the fact they saw Balta as a swing type. I understand it but would have preferred the latter.
Go Tigers!