Author Topic: The Rookie draft  (Read 15598 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: The Rookie draft
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2016, 05:35:12 PM »
Watched Atley & Scharenberg closely and could hardly tell the difference between them with regards to playing style, build and abilty - maybe Atley was half a yard quicker but neither were quick - yet Atley went at 32 while Scharenberg remained undrafted...go figure...

this is probably why you are not employed as a recruiter,

just saying....

Yeah well I admit I'm no Francis Jackson....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2016, 05:46:28 PM »
Watched Atley & Scharenberg closely and could hardly tell the difference between them with regards to playing style, build and abilty - maybe Atley was half a yard quicker but neither were quick - yet Atley went at 32 while Scharenberg remained undrafted...go figure...

just saying....

Care to elaborate on where he got it wrong?

FlashGordon

« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2016, 05:51:37 PM »

just saying....

Yeah well I admit I'm no Francis Jackson....

you might be onto a new career move for yourself. When you go to your first interview just repeat the above line and you will get hired on the spot :)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2016, 05:56:20 PM »
I'd imagine every aspiring AFL recruiter already opens with that line...

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2016, 06:48:39 PM »
No Brown or Richards. Surprised.

Richards I thought was worth a shot in any side.

Brown at least as a rookie for KPD depth.

Online Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2016, 07:06:29 PM »
Why would we keep drafting small fwds when our kpp depth is so poor?

From all accounts next year's draft is strong on KPPs, so we have loaded up picks to target them then. No point picking up KPP players just for the sake of having another on the list. You need to assess them as being up to it first.
you make a good point there, i am inclined to judge this Draft after next yrs & combine them & see how we have done.
clearly we'll be going talls next yr.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2016, 09:22:56 PM »
No Brown or Richards. Surprised.

Richards I thought was worth a shot in any side.

Brown at least as a rookie for KPD depth.
When you are in our position as a side and list you don't draft for depth. In fact IMO you should always draft players that have the potential to improve to be better than others already in our best 22.
We went wrong for years being conservative.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2016, 09:29:52 PM »
Brown and Richards would've both been upgrades on the likes of Astbury....hell..Richards can play both ends and would've been a upgrade on Griffiths as well...not to mention Elton..

- Thomas Sowell

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2016, 09:40:24 PM »
Brown and Richards would've both been upgrades on the likes of Astbury....hell..Richards can play both ends and would've been a upgrade on Griffiths as well...not to mention Elton..
It was more directed at the last comment on Brown who I don't rate. We definitely don't need another slow, injury prone defender. I think we have that coverered in Astbury like you say.
Richards is better than half our list and I would have taken in a heartbeat

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2016, 09:43:04 PM »
I wonder if Richards has other issues that have kept clubs away. It does seem strange no team picked him and he trained with Essendon.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2016, 12:18:53 AM »
I wonder if Richards has other issues that have kept clubs away. It does seem strange no team picked him and he trained with Essendon.

Yeah he does and as I know why, I could tell you. But it's easier for me to wait for them to come out and just tell you I knew about them then

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2016, 09:23:34 AM »

Yeah he does and as I know why, I could tell you. But it's easier for me to wait for them to come out and just tell you I knew about them then
Where is Oxana then? ;D

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2016, 09:25:20 AM »

:lol

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2016, 02:39:59 PM »
hmm it seems to me that just as many talls and ruckmen were taken this year as there have been in any other yr.
FMD JUST ABOUT EVERY CLUB TOOK A JUNIOR RUCK OR RUCK/FWD IN THE ND OR ROOKIE DRAFTS.
What   a rabble to have just 3 nd picks and 1 rookie pick it is mind boggling stuff.

There is no excuse either we had 20 blokes up for contract renewal what 2 3 months ago and we kept almost the lot of them.
The only conclusion is they in their madness truly think we can challenge for a flag the lack of change after such an abysmal yr is also mind boggling.

Its flag or bust time fellas.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2016, 02:47:00 PM »
hmm it seems to me that just as many talls and ruckmen were taken this year as there have been in any other yr.
FMD JUST ABOUT EVERY CLUB TOOK A JUNIOR RUCK OR RUCK/FWD IN THE ND OR ROOKIE DRAFTS.
What   a rabble to have just 3 nd picks and 1 rookie pick it is mind boggling stuff.

There is no excuse either we had 20 blokes up for contract renewal what 2 3 months ago and we kept almost the lot of them.
The only conclusion is they in their madness truly think we can challenge for a flag the lack of change after such an abysmal yr is also mind boggling.

Its flag or bust time fellas.
Stability. :shh