Author Topic: Sheedy to coach West Sydney  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
Re: Sheedy to coach West Sydney
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 08:01:18 PM »
They could put JC himself in to coach the team and they will fail to make an impression -peer pressure will ensure that IMO - without the kids there will be no mums and dads - sorry AD

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 08:46:11 PM »
Francis Leech on SEN asked if Richmond will end up with egg on their face over this  ::). Thankfully Schwarz replied no as Sheeds wasn't the right fit for Richmond.

Not in a million years will Richmond end up with egg on their faces over this appointment

What this proves though is what most of us always knew and that was Sheeds wanted a coaching gig after he left Essendon.

Also shows the nostalgic fondness towards Sheeds by some at Richmond wasn't reciprocated by Sheeds. Sheeds would go to any club that would have him as coach. He couldn't have cared less if it was Richmond or not. We need people at the Club who are committed to Richmond.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 09:33:22 PM »
They could put JC himself in to coach the team and they will fail to make an impression -peer pressure will ensure that IMO - without the kids there will be no mums and dads - sorry AD

You'd be surprised Mops. I live in Western Sydney and I can tell you that since the time when I first started as an Auskick coach some 8 years ago, AFL has exploded in popularity amongst the youth of Western Sydney. One big factor was the introduction of a selection of Swans games being played at Hombush. Even people who are not AFL fans up here know who Sheedy is. The Swans boosted their profile with Barassi, and although GWS is a new team, I believe his appointment will have a major impact. League is in limbo up here and the clowns running the show have no idea. Even with the recent success of Parramatta making the GF, the NRL are streets behind when it comes to marketing their sport.

Without giving too much away, I work at a private school in Western Sydney with a strong tradition in Rugby League and we already have 5 AFL teams competing in the schools comp. We even have a current AFL player that is an Old Boy of our school. So I think you may find that before too long GWS will have more of an impact than what you might think.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 10:22:39 PM »

You'd be surprised Mops. I live in Western Sydney and I can tell you that since the time when I first started as an Auskick coach some 8 years ago, AFL has exploded in popularity amongst the youth of Western Sydney. One big factor was the introduction of a selection of Swans games being played at Hombush. Even people who are not AFL fans up here know who Sheedy is. The Swans boosted their profile with Barassi, and although GWS is a new team, I believe his appointment will have a major impact. League is in limbo up here and the clowns running the show have no idea. Even with the recent success of Parramatta making the GF, the NRL are streets behind when it comes to marketing their sport.

Without giving too much away, I work at a private school in Western Sydney with a strong tradition in Rugby League and we already have 5 AFL teams competing in the schools comp. We even have a current AFL player that is an Old Boy of our school. So I think you may find that before too long GWS will have more of an impact than what you might think.

I hope you are right tiga.  The long term survival and growth of our code depends largely on take-up and assimilation in all states of Australia.........as a starting point.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Sheedy: A tough Tiger fights back (Age)
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 04:55:43 AM »
A tough Tiger fights back
Caroline Wilson | November 10, 2009

THE campaign to resurrect Kevin Sheedy's coaching career in the AFL's new frontier began in earnest the day the 61-year-old withdrew from the running to take over at Richmond, Sheedy's old home with whom he had rekindled a new but ultimately shallow flirtation.

Sheedy was in Sydney on the day he said that he had been ''embarrassed'' upon realising he was not really wanted at Tigerland. Privately, he later told Richmond he was going to concentrate his efforts on winning the position at Greater Western Sydney.

But on the day he walked away from one fight, the successful and experienced warrior was already being primed for another. It was July 11 and the Swans were playing Essendon at the SCG and the NSW Premier Nathan Rees sat in a private box with the four-time Bombers premiership coach. He encouraged him to think about the GWS job.

''The Sydney job was on the table long before the Richmond job came up,'' he said yesterday after meeting Rees again to celebrate the deal.

At Richmond, Sheedy said, he helped bring Ben Cousins and 7000 new members to the club but was not wanted for the top job. And yet the truth is Sheedy was never going to work at a club where the coach was struggling. The equation was all wrong.

Full article at:
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/a-tough-tiger-fights-back/2009/11/09/1257615001614.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Mike Sheahan in the Herald-Sun

Sheedy stayed too long at Essendon. Should have gone to Richmond five years ago, but he is a man of extraordinary talents.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/kevin-sheedys-move-24-years-in-the-making/story-e6frf9ox-1225795935291

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Sheedy: A tough Tiger fights back (Age)
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 06:51:23 AM »
At Richmond, Sheedy said, he helped bring Ben Cousins and 7000 new members to the club but was not wanted for the top job. And yet the truth is Sheedy was never going to work at a club where the coach was struggling. The equation was all wrong.

Full article at:
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/a-tough-tiger-fights-back/2009/11/09/1257615001614.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Now that is funny  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

TigerTimeII

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 08:13:55 AM »
whats funny is how sheedy is using the opera house to try and sell this new bs club, we will build this club like the opera house....
this man has really lost it, he is in his own fantasy world, now i thank the footy gods that we didnt take him on

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 10:35:47 AM »
whats funny is how sheedy is using the opera house to try and sell this new bs club, we will build this club like the opera house....

Have to agree, that quote was pretty funny.

Sheeds also said we were a chance to win the flag at the start of last season. :lol

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 10:56:44 AM »
this man has really lost it, he is in his own fantasy world, now i thank the footy gods that we didnt take him on

I also thought that was a strange analogy to make. It just reeked of a desperate attempt to make a link between AFL and one of Sydney's famous landmarks. Its like saying that Richmond will become like Flinder Street Station...no link at all.

Hope he does a better job marketing the team that that in future.

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2009, 03:45:40 AM »

I also thought that was a strange analogy to make. It just reeked of a desperate attempt to make a link between AFL and one of Sydney's famous landmarks. Its like saying that Richmond will become like Flinder Street Station...no link at all.
Especially as he's promoting a Western Sydney team while the Opera House is right next to the CBD in the East. He'd have been better off linking it to the Blue Mountains, zig-zag railway or some attraction towards the West at least.

The NRL forum has 13 pages about Sheedy and GWS with every childish insult they can call AFL  :stupid. Yep they don't care yet they are so paranoid they can't stop talking about it :wallywink

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=348225

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2009, 07:44:28 AM »

The NRL forum has 13 pages about Sheedy and GWS with every childish insult they can call AFL  :stupid. Yep they don't care yet they are so paranoid they can't stop talking about it :wallywink

I love conceited ignorance in the other party.  It is your best weapon in any conflict.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2009, 12:26:03 PM »
I love the comment from the bloke who said....

"Sheedy is so old he could die before the team plays a game".

Now thats funny.
Unleash the tornado

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 02:45:56 PM »

That is a truly great story for AFL and I hope it continues.  I hope they play a bunch of this new teams games at Homebush too.  Imagine packing out homebush in a local Derby :)

Hopefully we bite off a chunk of the soccer crowd in the area too.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 10:26:10 PM »

That is a truly great story for AFL and I hope it continues.  I hope they play a bunch of this new teams games at Homebush too.  Imagine packing out homebush in a local Derby :)

Hopefully we bite off a chunk of the soccer crowd in the area too.
Not sure how much Western Sydney is projected to grow by over the next 25 or so years but if it's around 2 million people then even if the AFL can grab 2% of that it's 40,000. It's going to struggle big time initially and will probably break lowest crowd records in the first 10 years at least. A potential white elephant but the AFL is going for it to mainly secure a $1 billion tv rights deal in 2012.

The other issue is the fixture with 18 teams. If the season is kept at 22 rounds then we'll only get to play four sides twice and given the way the AFL has treated us we'll end up playing interstate something like 7 times  :P.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2009, 11:58:25 AM »
Did anyone happen to see in the Age yesterday the media coverage indicator that the AFL uses to value the amount of media worth stories such as the Carlmichael Hunt and Sheedy stories generated in the Northern Markets? Apparently, while the interest in Hunt was higher, it only just piped the story of Sheedy's arrival. So all this fear and outcry is in fact helping the AFL in terms of exposure and publicity.

Not only are all these media outlets (who own 50% of the NRL) playing right into the AFL's hands so are the bleating supporters by voicing their dismay and continuing the interest in the story. If they just realized that unless they begin to attend RL games to generate the revenue needed through ticket sales, sponsorship, corporate funding etc rather than sitting at home watching all this go to the media outlets, and particularly Foxtel, then they would have a hope of competing and saving their clubs.

RL will die and slow painful death in first Queensland then Sydney over the next 20 years to AFL and Soccer and become little more than a second tier sport. I think everyone in Australia can see that which is why the load death throes have already begun in NSW..

Stripes