Author Topic: Chris Newman returns to Richmond as an assistant coach (RFC site)  (Read 2637 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Chris Newman returns to Richmond as an assistant coach (RFC site)
« on: September 26, 2023, 04:12:20 PM »
Newman returns to Richmond

By Richmond Media
26 September 2023 4pm

Richmond is delighted to announce that former captain Chris Newman will return to the Club as an assistant coach for the 2024 season.

Newman played 268 matches for Richmond across 15 years in a stellar career that included four seasons as skipper between 2009-12. He was inducted into the Club’s Hall of Fame last year.

The 41-year-old began his coaching career just months after bowing out as a player in the 2015 Elimination Final loss to North Melbourne, joining Hawthorn in a development role.

Newman took on the reins as Box Hill’s senior coach for the 2017 VFL season, continuing to help Hawthorn’s young players develop while also leading the proud state league club and their lofty win/loss expectations.

Box Hill finished second in Newman’s first season, which saw him rewarded as being named the coach of the VFL’s team of the year.

The former defender became a VFL premiership coach in 2018 after a remarkable finals series where Box Hill won four consecutive finals after finishing 6th.

Four-time AFL premiership coach Alastair Clarkson then entrusted Newman to take charge of Hawthorn’s AFL stoppage strategy in a role that included opposition analysis in 2019.

Newman was elevated to backs line coach for the 2020 season, a role he held for two years before switching to the forward line in 2023.

Richmond General Manager Football Performance- Tim Livingstone, said it was exciting to have Newman return to the Club.

“Chris has forged an excellent reputation as a terrific coach across the past eight years working at Hawthorn in various roles,” he said.

“He is highly motivated with an excellent ability to communicate and form relations with players and staff, and a proven track record of developing individuals and helping to deliver growth and positive outcomes for a team.

“With Adem (Yze) coming in as senior coach last week, he was particularly strong about getting Chris across after working closely with him at the Hawks.

“They have a terrific relationship, and we feel Chris will be an excellent fit for our playing group and coaching staff.”

Newman said he was looking forward to returning to Punt Road and working with a new group of players.

“I cannot wait to get started back at Richmond, working closely with the players and football staff,” he said.

“It will be nice to be back in familiar colours and working with Adem and the coaches to help the team return to finals action.”

Newman will commence with the Club for the upcoming pre-season.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1440813

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Chris Newman returns to Richmond as an assistant coach (RFC site)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 05:16:56 PM »
Rapt with that and Yze knows him well.

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2023, 05:24:56 PM »
Oxx will be rapt. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 07:37:37 PM »
FANTASTIC NEWS. Next coach in the making . WELCOME HOME NEWY

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 07:46:03 PM »

Where's Mini? Thought he was a lock? :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2023, 09:01:50 PM »
Exciting, the pressure will be on Chris tho with such a young family.
Best wishes to him

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2023, 11:23:50 PM »

Where's Mini? Thought he was a lock? :shh

Yep
Was a certainty

Appears not so

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2023, 02:48:25 AM »
Hawthorn released a statement on Tuesday thanking Newman, his wife Lauren and their four children for their time at the club.

Hawks football boss Rob McCartney said Newman had been “upfront” with the club about his desire to expand his skill set by moving to a new environment.

“There’s no doubting the positive impact Chris has made here at Hawthorn,” McCartney said.

“Right from the beginning of his coaching journey, Chris demonstrated a great ability to build strong connections and relationships with his players and staff.

“After going through the process for the senior coach role at Richmond, Chris felt that gaining more experience in another coaching environment would help his development and further his senior coaching aspirations.”

New Richmond coach Adem Yze (left) and incoming assistant Chris Newman (right) worked together under Alastair Clarkson at Hawthorn. Picture: Michael Klein. Source: News Corp Australia

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/passedover-tigers-senior-coach-contender-joins-new-staff-clarko-adds-to-kangaroos-team/news-story/8663ebbcf0a71f8f60981052aaaabc6a

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2023, 07:53:59 PM »
Newman's happy homecoming

After eight years away from the Club, Chris Newman is thrilled to be back at Tigerland.

By Richmond Media - 1 day ago

After eight years away from Richmond, there's no place like home for assistant coach Chris Newman.

Speaking on this week's episode of the 'Talking Tigers' podcast, the former Club captain said it was important for him to gain experience in a new environment, but is thrilled to be progressing his coaching career back at Tigerland.

"Spending so much time here as a player, I really needed a different environment and to get that at Hawthorn... everything I know now as a coach I've learnt and developed through really good people, I loved my time at the Hawks," Newman said.

"As things progressed, the itch was there and I started to re-connect with a few people around the Club. Trying to evolve myself as a coach to a different environment, different philosophies.

"When the opportunity came up, I jumped at the chance... It was good for me."

The 41-year-old, who played 268 matches for Richmond across 15 years, said walking back into the four walls of Tigerland was "the same but different".

"There are some things that rekindle some memories and other things that are completely different," he said.

"A good combination of people that I know, have worked with, loved and admired for a long period of time, but also lot of people that I don't know.

"I need to invest some time in that now. As my role as a midfield coach, that's my preference now, I've got to know the players.

"They don't care about how much you know until they know how much you care, and that's my focus right now."

Having worked closely with new senior coach Adem Yze previously at Hawthorn, Newman said he was "really looking forward" to being in the coaches' box together in 2024.

"He was at the Hawks when I first got there, and his game knowledge, his football IQ is outstanding. He keeps the game quite simple but will pick up trends in the game really quickly," Newman said

"And not only that, but try and identify what's going on in the game and what levers do we need to pull... it developed in him really quickly."

"But his other strength is his family values and the attitude and environment that he can create.

"He's quite laid back... you gravitate towards him... he's got a beautiful family and that's the environment he wants to create here, a real family, inclusive environment."

Newman will be sharing an office with fellow new assistant coach Jack Ziebell.

"(Jack's) a great get for us, he's a great person and his football knowledge is really strong," Newman said.

"He'll spend a lot of the time in stoppage and do some crossover with me in the midfield, so we'll work really closely together."

Newman said the new-look Tigers were "in a good place" as they head towards season 2024.

"It's exciting, and I think the players are really looking forward to that," he said.

"Some fresh faces and some fresh ideas can re-energize any sort of group.

"I think that's the exciting part, we get the opportunity now to see what sort of style we want to play going forward and we want a certain style that's going to be not only conducive for playing finals footy for now but for ongoing.

"There's a good crop of younger players coming through. There's also some experienced players that have been around and experienced a lot of different things.

"Our role is connecting those two age groups and demographics, we really encourage our younger players to ask questions of the older players...(and) we still want our older players here to not just play a role in helping, we want them to get better."

Newman also provided an update on several members of the Tigers' playing group.

"It was exciting (to have Dustin Martin back early). He's been a presence around the group.... It's good to have him up and about," Newman said.

"Thomson Dow's another one... He's been really impressive... And Tyler Sonsie, he's got a lot of ability, he's a beautiful user of the footy.

"I loved working with (Jacob Koschitzke at Hawthorn). He's an honest worker and a real power athlete, a lot of the boys were commenting on just the size of him... He'll provide a really strong contest for us.

"(Josh Gibcus) is looking really good... He's progressing pretty well... I'm pretty excited to see him out on the track and the flexibility that he provides wherever he plays."

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1472156/newmans-happy-homecoming
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)