Author Topic: Mabior Chol joins Gold Coast / Tigers get End of Round 2 compo pick [official]  (Read 97512 times)

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Mabior Chol [merged]
« Reply #210 on: July 02, 2019, 09:36:48 PM »
Really pleased for him. Good kick. Hope he continues to play like this.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #211 on: July 02, 2019, 10:40:40 PM »
“After the game, I’ve definitely set a standard for myself,” Chol told ABC AFL Grandstand.

“I’ve just got to keep working from here. I can’t look back at anything now.

“It’s been a long journey for me, especially not playing AFL footy for about three years.

“I’m just stoked to be playing at AFL level now.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

“The thing with ‘Marbs’ is that as long as he’s engaged and showing up, he’ll give himself every opportunity,” Cotchin told K rock Football.

“He’s got an amazing athletic ability, he can take a ‘clunk’, but I think what I loved most was when he chase-down tackled, then had the composure to go back and slot it through (for a goal).

“His ruckwork’s really improved as well.

“He’s got the spring to get his hand on the ball. That’s very hard to stop for opposition ruckmen.

“But he also snuck forward a couple of times out of the centre bounce and got involved that way.

“So his reading of the game is obviously improving every week . . .

“It’s a credit to him the way he’s continually adjusting and working on his game.”

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-07-02/chol-on-the-charge

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Sudan escape to Marvel Stadium: How Daw inspired Tiger Chol (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #212 on: July 02, 2019, 11:34:54 PM »
Sudan escape to Marvel Stadium: How Daw inspired Tiger Chol

Jon Ralph,
Herald Sun
July 3, 2019

New Richmond revelation Mabior Chol says Majak Daw’s inspiring story has helped him become an AFL footballer after escaping Sudan just like the North Melbourne star.

Chol made a spectacular impact in only his third AFL game on Sunday, kicking three goals as well as taking nine marks in a performance that won AFL coaches votes.

He said he was proud to represent the Sudanese community in every game he played.

Both Chol and Daw’s families left war-torn South Sudan through Egyptian refugee camps before eventually settling in Australia.

Chol regularly keeps in contact with Daw, who will return through North Melbourne’s reserves against Sandringham on Sunday.

Richmond young gun Mabior Chol sasy fellow Sudanese AFL footballer Majak Daw has helped him on his path.

“I am rapt to be playing at the highest level and representing my people and family as well,” Chol said.

“It’s great to have that belief that you can go anywhere in life. You can work hard and that will beat talent so for me after a lot of hard work I am here today.

“We know Aliir Aliir from the Swans and Majak is working hard on his rehab as well.

“All of us are proud to play at the highest level and represent our culture.

“We do stay in touch. He’s doing really well. I am just happy to see him training and running around and doing the thing he loves. He is doing really well.”

Mabior Chol kicked three goals as well as taking nine marks in a performance that won AFL coaches votes.

Chol was a late call-up against Adelaide before the bye but held his spot and made a huge impact despite Rowan Marshall’s impressive form.

With Marshall off the ground late in the contest he took the ball from the ruck and kicked the sealer, dining out on St Kilda’s communication breakdown.

“It was a funny one, the umpire said there was no ruckman for St Kilda so the first thing that came through my mind was grab it out of the ruck and take off.

“I know Marshy would be a tough battle all day so it was a good battle. I shared it with Ivan (Soldo) so both of us would be very happy with the way we played.”

The streak of peroxide in his hair is also attracting attention, with Chol revealing his teammates had pushed him to add a dash of wow factor.

“Everyone is saying Richmond or Collingwood (colours inspired it) but I don’t know. The boys were asking me, “When are you going to dye your hair and I said maybe one day” and pre-season came and I did it.

“My mum was happy with it and the boys were too so I think I will keep rocking with it for the rest of the year. There was no inspiration, I am just loving dyeing my hair and having a bit of swagger with it so that’s about it.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmonds-mabior-chol-on-majak-daw-inspiring-his-career-and-what-about-the-peroxide/news-story/29cc97270418614535efa405864be9fc

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #213 on: July 06, 2019, 06:56:36 PM »
How things have clicked for 'Two Phones' Tiger

AFL.com.au
Sarah Black
Jul 6, 2019

FOR ALMOST four years now, Richmond fans have eagerly been tracking the progress of Mabior Chol.

Known simply as "Marbs" – or, as the club's podcast Talking Tigers calls him, "Two Phones" (self-explanatory) – something has clicked for the versatile big man this season.

Signed as a rookie at the end of 2015, the Sudanese-born Chol played his first AFL game in round 23, 2016, a thumping loss to Sydney at the end of a disappointing year for the club.

Mabior Chol celebrates his first win for the Tigers against St Kilda last weekend. Picture: AFL Photos

Athletically gifted, Chol then teased in the VFL, his high-flying feats and pace catching the eye but struggling to perform with enough consistency to break through for a second senior game.

That opportunity came nearly three years later against Adelaide in round 13, when after a career-best month in the twos, Chol was brought in to play as first ruck Steven Bradbury-style, as Toby Nankervis (adductor) and Ivan Soldo (illness) were unavailable.

With Soldo returning after the bye, Chol held his spot and forced the exciting Noah Balta to the VFL, kicking a career-high three goals against the Saints and impressing with his footy smarts.

Richmond VFL coach Craig McRae has worked closely with Chol over the past few years and can see how the 22-year-old has changed, particularly this year.

"Watching his growth from a skinny boy to what he is today, we're really proud of him and it's been quite a journey so far," McRae told AFL.com.au.

"I think there's been some significant shifts in Mabior's game. Watching him and coding his games as his coach, I've seen his growth particularly around his consistency of effort.

"His contest stuff has always been strong, but the ability to do it for long periods has been a bit of a growth opportunity for him.

"He's had some standout games at VFL level, that Dreamtime game we had against the Bombers at Punt Road (for which he won the best on ground medal), his performance in the ruck was quite exceptional."

McRae said Chol is now fully understanding what is involved in being a professional athlete.

"I was a bit of a broken record sometimes in the early days, saying 'Marbs, you have to prepare to play and train how you want to perform and train at a really high standard.'

"He did that, but could he do it for long periods? You have to argue this year, he's really got that part of his game right.

"What you see on a Saturday, he's been training that consistently, so it's just there for him, rather than stretching for that real dynamic effort."

While McRae says Chol is a "modern prototype" of a ruckman due to his ability to cover the ground, he believes the Tiger is best suited to a dual role, as seen last weekend.

"I honestly think he's got that uniqueness to play that forward-ruck role, there's not many that can do that. You look through the competition, and they're either a forward or a ruck, but he's got that capability and he's shown that.

"At VFL level, he was our leading goalkicker before he went into the AFL, so he was able to impact the scoreboard through his marking capability, but then the opportunity through the injury to Nankervis, he's been able to play in the ruck."

And the bleached strip through his hair?

"He loves the bling earrings and the colour. To be honest, I remember when he first got it done, I thought it was better than the grey tinge I've got going at the moment," McRae said with a laugh.

"I just thought to myself, it's an example of 'Marbs' being comfortable in his own self. There's nothing better than when an athlete, or anyone, feels really comfortable in themselves.

"He's a pretty easy read, the players like to be around him, he's just a happy, smiley guy. If he's not smiling, it's 'come on 'Marbs', what's wrong, talk to me, what's going on.'

"But he's been smiling a lot more lately, which is a great thing."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-06/how-things-have-clicked-for-two-phones-tiger

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #214 on: July 07, 2019, 06:56:36 PM »
Living in WA , I don't see any VFL so I just rely on you blokes .Obviously there's been a few negative comments made about Chol.

He just looks like a natural talent to me with real x factor. Could become this year's Townsend.

I would keep him in the side and drop Soldo when Nank is ready..
Unleash the tornado

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #215 on: July 07, 2019, 06:58:23 PM »
Living in WA , I don't see any VFL so I just rely on you blokes .Obviously there's been a few negative comments made about Chol.

He just looks like a natural talent to me with real x factor. Could become this year's Townsend.

I would keep him in the side and drop Soldo when Nank is ready..
Talent is there; could be something special.

You probably worry about his ability to read the play/decision making in the clinches.

Personally I don't think he can make it as a ruck. If he gets a clean leap at it he's likely to win the tap, but around the grounds gets bullied.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #216 on: July 14, 2019, 10:35:38 AM »
Chol mastering the art of giving back

Chris Cavanagh,
Sunday Herald Sun
14 July 2019

Given opportunities in Australia that his parents could only dream of, Mabior Chol is determined to give back.

Each week, the 22-year-old spends an evening in Collingwood with up to 15 teenagers of South Sudanese backgrounds to help support them and set their lives on the right path.

Sick of seeing headlines about African gangs causing trouble around Melbourne, Chol decided earlier this year that he wanted to step in and help a community close to his heart.

And as a Richmond-listed footballer with a story to tell, the youth Chol has been working with as an ambassador for ‘The Growth Project’ have hung on his every word.

“Something I’m really passionate about is giving back to my community and working with my community people,” Chol said.

“What’s been happening in the media lately with all the South Sudanese kids doing the bad stuff, I’m just trying to be a great role model to them and someone they can look up to and trying to help set them up on the right pathway.

“They’re all wonderful kids, very humble and respectful. But I think sometimes when people see them on the street they think, ‘Oh, they might be trouble because of their skin colour’. I don’t think anyone should get discriminated because of the skin colour or where they come from. Everyone can think differently but at the end of the day we’re all the same.”

Chol can relate to the youth he is working with.

He was born in South Sudan before his parents made the difficult decision to flee the war-torn nation when he was just two years’ old.

What followed was a stint in Egypt as a new life in Australia was sought, the family eventually granted visas and moving to Brisbane in 2005 when Chol was an eight-year-old.

“Mum and dad decided to move to get a better life because what was happening back home wasn’t really stable for my family and I,” Chol said.

“There were a few tough moments. We probably copped a bit of racism as well, growing up in Egypt. But I don’t think mum and dad worried too much about it. We knew we were going to get out of there as soon as we got out visas.

“I’m just glad to be here and having my family very stable and very healthy.”

Chol’s family is not small.

He is one of seven children, with four brothers and two sisters.

Family time is “pretty crazy”, but Chol relishes every opportunity he gets to head home to Brisbane.

“Being the oldest, I’ve got a lot of responsibility for my younger siblings and every time I go back home there’s a lot of joy spending time with them,” Chol said.

It was his first year of high school in Brisbane that Chol fell into footy.

The school football team was short on numbers and Chol fit the bill for the vacant ruck spot.

Before the call-up, Chol “didn’t even know the AFL existed”.

“They just saw the tallest bloke at school and picked me to play as a ruckman,” Chol said.

“I was lucky enough to play in the grand final at the Gabba and I thought, ‘This is pretty cool’. I think that’s what attracted me to play the game.”

Chol’s AFL career could have been short-lived.

A broken foot last year came just when he was on the verge of playing senior football with the Tigers on the back of some strong VFL form.

At the end of the year, the 200cm ruckman-forward was delisted, only to be thrown a lifeline when he was picked up again by Richmond in the rookie draft.

Having played just one AFL game before this year — in Round 23, 2016 — Chol will run out for his fourth game on the trot against Greater Western Sydney today.

Since returning for his first AFL outing in 1020 days against Adelaide in Round 13 he has grabbed his opportunity with both hands.

“He’s got some incredible traits that can make everyday AFL players look silly,” Tigers coach Damien Hardwick said of Chol.

“It’s managing to keep the consistency of his performance to the level he’d like that has probably been his downfall. But he’s worked incredibly hard, had a great off-season. He had an injury-interrupted year last year so that was probably cause for the delisting. But the reality is when he plays at his very best he’s a very, very handy AFL player.”

Chol lived with Hardwick for his first four months in Melbourne after first being drafted in the 2016 rookie draft.

He has since settled in with a host family and taken on an unusual nickname — ‘Two Phones’ — courtesy of former teammate Shaun Grigg and Richmond legend Matthew Richardson.

However, Chol says the nickname makes little sense.

He only owns one phone.

“They were saying I had this phone for the ladies and this one for the business,” Chol said.

“It was all a made-up story but it’s been interesting having that name.”

So does he go all right with the ladies?

“Nah, nah, definitely not,” Chol says with a laugh.

Chol does not like to think about where his life would be had his parents not made the decision to leave South Sudan when they did.

“I haven’t really thought of that too much,” Chol said.

“But I think personally and for my family as well, if mum and dad didn’t make that move I don’t think we’d have the opportunities we have now.

“My siblings and I got the opportunity to get education. Mum and dad never had that so they’ve really encouraged us to study. At the same time we’re trying to give back and make our parents proud.”

Giving back is the constant theme in Chol’s life and will again be on show today when members of his youth group form a guard of honour on the MCG as the Tigers run out for their ‘Many Cultures Festival’ match against the Giants.

“I’m just glad I have something that can clear my mind off footy and bring me a lot of joy, working with kids that I enjoy seeing all the time,” Chol said.

“I can’t wait to see the smiles on their faces when we run out this weekend.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmonds-mabior-chol-on-south-sudan-giving-back-to-his-community-and-his-two-phones-nickname/news-story/88e1e0d7febe58b514f2e2e73e881a27

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #217 on: July 21, 2019, 11:37:27 AM »
How did we rate Chols game on Saturday?

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #218 on: July 21, 2019, 01:29:00 PM »
Given his age and size etc I really like what I see. Guy will be very competitive and physical when he's more developed and you can see he has real athleticism and footy smarts.

He looks knackered though. I wouldn't mind bringing in Nank for him if fit, or Balta also if fit. He needs a rest. Next year could be big for him...

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #219 on: July 21, 2019, 01:51:18 PM »

Looked completely cooked. Struggled at times to get to contests

Needs a break
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #220 on: July 21, 2019, 02:05:57 PM »
What rot - if Chol's biuggered then Slomo's ready for the knackery - half the reason he only averages seven touches a game is because he struggles to get from contest to contest... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #221 on: July 21, 2019, 04:04:30 PM »

Looked completely cooked. Struggled at times to get to contests

Needs a break
I thought he was good and far from looking tired.
I thought his chasing and pressure was as good as it’s been.

I really like what I’m seeing from big Chol as I really didn’t think he had much to offer after seeing him the previous years.

I think he and Nank will make a decent ruck team.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #222 on: July 21, 2019, 05:02:04 PM »
 I like what I am seeing as well but having just watched the replay my thoughts haven't changed.

Take a look at the 3rd (mid onwards) and that's what I am talking about. Got to the stage he wasn't jumping at ruck contests

The reason Choi looks spent and Soldo doesn't is in part because Choi is covering more metres. Would rather manage a kid with so much upside than a bloke who is a back up
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 10:15:59 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #223 on: July 21, 2019, 05:37:08 PM »
Slomo looks spent after running through the banner.....:shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #224 on: July 21, 2019, 09:52:14 PM »
I like went I am seeing as well but having just watched the replay my thoughts haven't changed.

Take a look at the 3rd (mid onwards) and that's what I am talking about. Got to the stage he wasn't jumping at ruck contests

The reason Choi looks spent and Soldo doesn't is in part because Choi is covering more metres. Would rather manage a kid with so much upside than a bloke who is a back up
So would you play Soldo and Nank in the same side going forward?