Author Topic: VFL Practice Game -v- Footscray (Fri. 21/03/2014)  (Read 4432 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: VFL Practice Game -v- Footscray (Fri. 21/03/2014)
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2014, 03:50:01 PM »

Development should mean game time WP. Not 5000 rotations.

In Praccy games the fitness people limit players game time

All I am saying is that people better get used to our VFL side not wining all the time because wins aren't the focus, development is.
hmm if development is key how many juniors will we have each week at vfl mate that  side has an abundance of big bodied experienced players. if they cant win and develop players with that sort of setup they have the wrong people in charge.
you want a winning culture and breed confidence win games of footy it aint rocket science.
i for one am sick to death of the excuses we find all sorts of reasons for not winning weather that be afl or vfl.

And it ain't rocket science to know that AFL sides that have fielded their own VFL sides have had as their main focus development over results.

They have stated it. Remember sitting at luncheon where Neil Balme spoke and that is how he explained it. Now considering that the RFC has also stated that they have been following the Geelong model in setting up our VFL side I would think it is a reasonable assumption to think that for now development has a far greater priority than wins. And before you raise the fact Geelong has won VFL premierships you need to look at when and where their list was at those times. Just like you need to look at their injury lists in the years they haven't had good VFL seasons

Would think part of development is at least putting in some effort

Absolutely, but that is totally different area to results and that was my point. Development and results are not inclusive of one another. You can have a good development program but it doesn't necessarily equate to VFL premierships especially if light of a teams list age and size wise

Will say it again if people are going into 2014 expecting our VFL side to win every week, finish top 4 etc they are likely going to be disappointed. Wins will be welcome but they aren't the main focus
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2014, 04:07:20 PM »
You are kidding, he's doing what he supposed to be doing. It's all about development, wins aren't the focus.

We seem to be getting them to play the same way as the seniors at the moment. ;D ;)
:lol

the claw

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2014, 09:46:36 PM »
as a isaid with the squad and experience they have if they cant win and develop at the same time there is something really wrong. i agree its not entirely about winning but its a damn big part of it.

id like a dollar for every time ive heard richmond people complain about our players getting a kick at coburg. complain about and ask how do you improve players in such unstructured unskilled sides.
how can players prove themselves when your getting belted all over the field.

i think in the last 3 yrs we have won 4 or 5 games in each yr at coburg. i dont care how good our development is if you are getting belted most weeks you wont develop a thing unless you have an outstanding talent on your hands. good structure plenty of experience good game plan should equate to plenty of wins weather development is the main focus or not.

we dont have a lot of 1st and 2nd yr players in our vfl team. it  is more about putting in place structures and plans that mirror our seniors. if those things cant win vfl games they sure wont win afl games. if our kids are getting their arses kicked every week they wont play seniors.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2014, 01:02:01 AM »
Jackson returns but VFL Tigers beaten
John Lindon 
richmond.com.au
March 22, 2014

Richmond struggled to utilise a strong breeze and fell to a fast-finishing Footscray by 62 points in a VFL practice match at Whitten Oval this afternoon.

In what was a scrappy game dictated by wind, the Tigers welcomed back star midfielder Daniel Jackson from a hamstring injury. 

He consistently threw his body at the ball, winning contested possessions at stoppages.

Despite his impact and collecting 13 touches, Jackson was eased back slightly, playing three-quarters of the match.

Ben Lennon also made a successful and impressive return from injury, playing his scheduled half a match, and leading Richmond’s possessions with 16 at the main break.

Another Tiger cub, Nathan Gordon kicked two goals for the game, one a long goal from outside 50.

Richmond was aided by the breeze in the first term and used it well, moving the ball quickly and with purpose. A long kick-in from Ed Barlow to the open side of the ground ignited an end-to-end move that was capped off by a goal from Liam McBean.

Jake Batchelor was a standout for the Tigers in defence. He spoiled well, won the ball at ground level and knocked it to safety.

Matt Arnot (14 possessions) and Nathan Foley (12) worked hard and provided run and carry.

A wonderful centering pass from Nathan Batsanis set up Nathan Gordon’s second goal while McBean’s second came on the siren to end a tight first half.

Chris Knights gathered his 24 possessions all over the ground but was particularly effective when filling holes in defence and intercepting Footscray’s forward entries.

Orren Stephenson had 32 hit-outs and also featured in Richmond’s defence. He took two crucial intercept marks but the Tigers struggled to contain the Bulldogs’ run through the centre of the ground.

Anthony Miles lifted in the second half and his terrific contested work saw him finish the game with 20 disposals and a team-high six clearances.

His dribble goal from deep in the pocket was the highlight of a tough third term for the Tigers, who found it difficult to score despite having the advantage of the breeze.

Richmond was held goalless while Footscray piled on seven goals in a one-sided final term.

RICHMOND:                       2.4   5.4     7.5      7.5      (47)
FOOTSCRAY:                   2.1   5.10   8.11   16.13  (109)

GOALS: McBean 2, Gordon 2, Arnot, Miles, McCartney

BEST: Miles, Knights, Gordon, Stephenson, Arnot, Jackson

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014-03-22/jackson-returns-but-vfl-tigers-beaten

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2014, 11:02:29 AM »
Question is has Grimes had further complications or has he been earmarked for a return to the seniors?

Offline RFC_Official

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2014, 09:36:09 AM »
Question is has Grimes had further complications or has he been earmarked for a return to the seniors?

He was training with the seniors on Friday here at ME Bank Centre.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2014, 10:06:21 AM »

Cheers. 8)

tony_montana

« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2014, 01:40:16 PM »

Cheers. 8)

Dont put too much stock in that, he also told us Maric was training with the seniors in response to a rumour about his ankle - a week later he was having surgery  :whistle

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2014, 02:28:16 PM »
So people actually care about the results of a VFL practice match these days. Jeepers.

Bulldogs players all played 4 quarters whilst a few of ours were limited to 2 or 3.  :shh

dwaino

« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2014, 06:59:09 PM »
So people actually care about the results of a VFL practice match these days. Jeepers.

Bulldogs players all played 4 quarters whilst a few of ours were limited to 2 or 3.  :shh

VFL practice matches are for cattle stations and r srs.

Offline harry bosch

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2014, 09:56:49 PM »
Pic 16 , good to see the bulldogs new high tech lighting system in operation.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2014, 06:31:36 AM »
That's a disgraceful last qtr against that two bit mob, Clarke will be on notice I would have thought,  :shh

You are kidding, he's doing what he supposed to be doing. It's all about development, wins aren't the focus.

Suggest folks get used to that concept or they are going to get very stressed in 2014  ;D

You have been defending his sorry arse for years (Clarke)

This years it's okay cause his coaching to instruction, what about previous

He is not a very good  developer of our kids, I mean when was our last rookie or late draft pick selected regularly to play seniors. We can't even find anyone to replace hacks like Newman hence why we keep topping up.

If Dimms had any brains he would've sacked him his provided nothing since he was hired.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2014, 09:25:59 AM »
his biin in he's poseteon too long?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

gerkin greg

« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2014, 10:52:55 AM »
Good looking jumper