Author Topic: VFL Practice Game -v- Footscray (Fri. 21/03/2014)  (Read 4412 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: VFL Practice Game -v- Footscray (Fri. 21/03/2014)
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2014, 12:48:55 PM »
Could have used vlad vs gold coast

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2014, 02:10:36 PM »

Would think part of development is at least putting in some effort

Absolutely, but that is totally different area to results and that was my point. Development and results are not inclusive of one another. You can have a good development program but it doesn't necessarily equate to VFL premierships especially if light of a teams list age and size wise

No I was more talking about this point you made

You are kidding, he's doing what he supposed to be doing. It's all about development, wins aren't the focus.

Efforts like that suggest he isn't doing what he's supposed to be doing. But it was only one praccy game just hope there is more improvement over the course of the year.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2014, 04:05:37 PM »
No I was more talking about this point you made

You are kidding, he's doing what he supposed to be doing. It's all about development, wins aren't the focus.

Efforts like that suggest he isn't doing what he's supposed to be doing. But it was only one praccy game just hope there is more improvement over the course of the year.

Fair enough and I agree you want a better effort and that is part of their development. But effort isn't going to necessarily result in wins. And like you said it was only a praccy game, and in the overall scheme of things praccy game reuslts mean very little when the season starts - look at the AFL tigers -v- GC  :P

I just think part of his job and the other development coaches for that matter right now is to (1) get all the players in the VFL whether that be our listed players or the VFL listed players up to speed with the RFC style of play (whatever that is this week  ;D). And (2) teach/develop our younger players to improve in the areas that club believes they're deficient in.

IMHO if it comes down to a choice between winning games with someone like McBean kicking 5 goals a game or McBean playing more minutes around the ground to improve say his endurance and sacrificing the goals and then by extension a win then the development of McBean or any other player will be the priority not winning

That's why I keep going on about if people are expecting wins to be the aim of our VFL side then they are most likely going to be very disppointed
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

the claw

« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2014, 08:51:06 PM »
So people actually care about the results of a VFL practice match these days. Jeepers.

Bulldogs players all played 4 quarters whilst a few of ours were limited to 2 or 3.  :shh
when its a continuation of complete and utter crap and massive hidings yes its a problem. for yrs on end now our seconds just keep on copping it where the sun dont shine.  playing to a plan or playing for development what ever there is no place for mediocrity.
would have thought even in a praccie game there is the opportunity to play well and build some confidence. if your getting torn a new one nearly every week good luck trying to develop a thing.

ffs development game plan and winning are not mutually exclusive. they should go hand in hand.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 09:08:14 PM by the claw »

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2014, 09:34:32 PM »
So people actually care about the results of a VFL practice match these days. Jeepers.

Bulldogs players all played 4 quarters whilst a few of ours were limited to 2 or 3.  :shh

with the rotations our players only played 1 quarter. Jackson refused to come off at one stage because he needs game time for flip sake. The Bulldogs like Collingwood VFL a week or so before are rotating much less. I'm sure our team is in good hands but for God sake leave them on the ground for more then 2 minutes!

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2014, 09:45:12 PM »

when its a continuation of complete and utter crap and massive hidings yes its a problem. for yrs on end now our seconds just keep on copping it where the sun dont shine.  playing to a plan or playing for development what ever there is no place for mediocrity.
would have thought even in a praccie game there is the opportunity to play well and build some confidence. if your getting torn a new one nearly every week good luck trying to develop a thing.

ffs development game plan and winning are not mutually exclusive. they should go hand in hand.
i went to one of the praccy games and we won't win playing our game plan with vfl guys who just butcher it. It just won't happen.