Author Topic: Mav Weller is officially a Tiger [update]  (Read 15800 times)

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
Re: Mav Weller is officially a Tiger [update]
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2019, 02:22:14 PM »
Ellis is considered to be one of the toughest footballers of his generation from those in the know. Highly rated inside the 4 walls of the RFC, rested him for the finals to save him for 2019.......:shh

haaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2019, 03:00:25 PM »
Have it on very good authority that the only reason he wasn't shipped off to the Gold Coast for peanuts was because we stuffed up and wrote the wrong christian name on the form.... :shh :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2019, 06:07:46 PM »
Claw write it did he...:shh :shh :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2019, 07:36:12 PM »
No - if it was him then half our list would've been "accidentally" traded...... :shh :shh :shh :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2019, 08:04:36 PM »
Hopefully that soft prick Grimes too......:shh :shh :shh :shh :shh

harrrghhhh harrrrghhhhhhhhhhh i still remember when he said he'd stop posting if we won the flag....:shh

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2019, 09:23:33 PM »

harrrghhhh harrrrghhhhhhhhhhh i still remember when he said he'd stop posting if we won the flag....:shh

I’m glad he does still post here. I don’t agree with everything that Clawski posts but I’d say he brings a different view that is sometimes worth absorbing
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2019, 06:48:58 AM »
If Weller gets a game we are in trouble

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2019, 11:44:53 AM »

I’m glad he does still post here. I don’t agree with everything that Clawski posts but I’d say he brings a different view that is sometimes worth absorbing

it's good to get a reminder that life isn't that bad, that's for sure

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2019, 10:33:02 PM »
Thoughts on Weller's first game in Y&B?

14 disposals (8k, 6h, 3cp, 11up, 78% eff.)
9 marks (1 con., 2 F50)
3 Inside 50s
5 tackles
1 goal

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2019, 10:56:47 PM »
Thoughts on Weller's first game in Y&B?

14 disposals (8k, 6h, 3cp, 11up, 78% eff.)
9 marks (1 con., 2 F50)
3 Inside 50s
5 tackles
1 goal

His 2nd half was a helluva lot better than his first
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2019, 08:22:27 PM »
Home time for Maverick Weller ahead of Richmond's JLT Series game in Launceston

Alex Fair
The Examiner
March 7 2019 - 7:35PM

One game into his new life as a Tiger, Maverick Weller feels he is playing as well as ever.

The 27-year-old former Burnie Docker made his debut for Richmond in last week's JLT encounter with Melbourne, collecting 14 disposals, taking nine marks, laying five tackles and kicking 1.0 playing in the front half in his new side's win.

He credited part of the reason behind that performance to the environment at his new football home, one he has embraced since he signed as a pre-season supplemental selection in December.

"It has been great and they are such a great club and have been so welcoming,'' said Weller, who played 121 games for Gold Coast and St Kilda before the Tigers gave him a lifeline.

"I've been able to see first hand that all the rumours about their culture are true, and it is just a great culture with great leadership with Trent (Cotchin), Alex (Rance) and Jack (Riewoldt), so it has been a seamless transition.

"I feel very much part of it all ready and Sunday was a lot of fun and I felt instantly comfortable out there.

"(Last week) I was running on top of the ground either though it was 40 degrees and it was good to get involved and I felt more confident as the game went on.

"It is pretty easy to play your role in that side as when you look around there are some seriously talented players, and that just makes it easier to go about your role."

After "giving it all" over the pre-season, which included constantly reviewing each training session to ensure he could adapt to the Richmond way, Weller said he was ready for the next step in his journey at Punt Road.

This will include Saturday night's JLT Series clash against Hawthorn at UTAS Stadium, and then hopefully round 1 selection against Carlton.

Weller said he couldn't wait to once again play in his home state.

The match will come at the ground where he made his senior debut for the Burnie Dockers.

He also kicked his first AFL goal there as a Sun.

"I love it as when it is all over and done with over here I am planning on going back to Tassie, and I just feel so comfortable when I am down there,'' he said.

"You walk out onto the ground and instantly there is a familiar smell and a familiar feel, and you are instantly comfortable, and I do love it."

He said the Tigers would be taking Saturday's outing very seriously.

"In the game just gone we did try a few things with a few blokes out of position and we tried a few different structural things, and this will be a full dress rehearsal for round 1, and I don't think we will be taking it easy, we will be going pretty hard,'' he said.

"We watched a bit of the Hawks today and they looked pretty similar to last year and they look to switch the ball a lot with short kicking to open up the ground and they are just a well drilled outfit, as they have been for 10 years, and we will need to be accountable, but we are looking forward to it."

https://www.examiner.com.au/story/5943243/home-time-for-richmonds-maverick-weller/?cs=96

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2019, 02:22:24 AM »
Thoughts on Weller's game yesterday?

Does he play round 1?

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2019, 02:38:45 AM »
Yes. :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2019, 01:22:32 PM »
Richmond recruit Weller didn’t let himself “rot on the vine”: Lyon

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
21 March 2019

Garry Lyon has praised Maverick Weller for climbing off the AFL scrapheap and resurrecting his career.

The 27-year-old will debut for Richmond in their season opener against Carlton at the MCG tonight.

Just five months ago, Weller was delisted by St Kilda - who had finished 16th on the AFL ladder - but now finds himself set to run out for one of 2019’s premiership fancies.

It is a story that has delighted former Melbourne captain Lyon.

“You know what this is? This is the greatest advocacy for change,” he said on SEN Breakfast.

“If you’re a player at an AFL club, and you are not getting opportunity, it might be down towards the bottom of the ladder, then put yourself out there.

“See if you can get to a new environment, don’t just stay there and wallow.”

Lyon added: “A bloke couldn’t get a game for St Kilda and he’s going to play with the premiership favourites.

“Don’t stay there and rot on the vine.”

Tim Watson is also a fan of the one-time Gold Coast Sun, who will operate as a small pressure forward for the Tigers.

“They like that type of player. He’s got some power, he’s got some speed,” he said.

“I would love to know what the story was because a couple of seasons ago, when St Kilda had their best season under Alan Richardson, he was one of their better players at half-forward.

“They did this successfully, the Tigers, in their premiership year with Jacob Townsend.

“This bloke (Weller) would be a more powerful, more robust, quicker version of Jacob Townsend.”

Weller has played 121 games during his injury-interrupted eight-season AFL career with both the Suns and the Saints.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/03/20/richmond-recruit-weller-didn't-let-himself-rot-on-the-vine-lyon/

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2019, 03:48:17 PM »
Isn’t he taking Georgie’s spot?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.