Author Topic: Pick 40: Kane McAuliffe  (Read 14764 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Pick 40: Kane McAuliffe
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2024, 06:11:19 PM »
As I said, found our Cotchin replacement - but faster and better by foot....  :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2024, 06:21:54 PM »
As I said, found our Cotchin replacement - but faster and better by foot.... 

I agree. (FMD what have I done)

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2024, 06:42:13 PM »
As I said, found our Cotchin replacement - but faster and better by foot....  :shh

Does he have a bit of pace?

Would be great if so.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2024, 08:04:57 PM »
What it does show is how stupid we have been in our drafting. we have generally ignored taking bigger mids with mid to late picks.

Picking guys who haven't been big ball winners, and trying to turn them into ball winners.

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Dont Argue

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2024, 09:06:58 PM »
What it does show is how stupid we have been in our drafting. we have generally ignored taking bigger mids with mid to late picks.
God knows ive banged on about it for long enough.
If we had done so on a regular basis from year to year it is highly unlikely we would have had to trade for either Taranto or Hopper.

You must have been cheering when we drafted RCD.
Isn’t hindsight lovely?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 10:59:55 PM by Dont Argue »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2024, 10:47:14 PM »

Would be great if so.

5th overall in the 20m sprint at the AFL draft combine ( 2.930) also top 5 in the standing & running vertical jumps..... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2024, 02:17:16 PM »

Would be great if so.

5th overall in the 20m sprint at the AFL draft combine ( 2.930) also top 5 in the standing & running vertical jumps..... :shh

Nice! Cheers.

Pumped to see him in the seniors.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2024, 09:07:17 PM »
If we had done so on a regular basis from year to year it is highly unlikely we would have had to trade for either Taranto or Hopper.

Isn’t hindsight lovely?

What hindsight. Every draft im always saying who i would have liked us to take at what pick ON THE DAY. If we don't TAKE  many big mids or none at all we can only comment on what they have done after the fact.!!!!!!! .

But to answer your question. Yes i was happy we took a big mid for once when we took RCD, after all id been harping about us not taking them. Was there other choices yes.

But just for you my knock and concern on us taking him was while he showed good signs in the role he had not shown an ability to consistently win enough ball it remained a problem and was probably the main reason he was delisted.

Including the 2017 draft  and all rookie drafts  we have taken just 5 what you would say are big bodied mids. THATS SEVEN WHOLE DRAFTS. and the list is not great.

2017 ZERO.
2018 RCD, Ross who as it turns out is not an inside mid but a winger apparently lol.
2019 Will Martyn who as it turned out was not a big mid but a hbf lol.
2020 ZERO.
2021 ZERO
2022 We traded for Taranto and Hopper lets be honest  we had to when you look at the commitment we had made to getting big mids.
2023 McAuliffe. Hallalujah we actually drafted the type no wonder people are happy.

Can you sit there and honestly say your happy with that? thats not a commitment its negligence

What is a worry is we have been just as remiss with genuine talls fwds and backs.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 09:28:17 PM by the claw »

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2024, 09:54:59 PM »

Isn’t hindsight lovely?

What hindsight. Every draft im always saying who i would have liked us to take at what pick ON THE DAY. If we don't TAKE  many big mids or none at all we can only comment on what they have done after the fact.!!!!!!! .

But to answer your question. Yes i was happy we took a big mid for once when we took RCD, after all id been harping about us not taking them. Was there other choices yes.

But just for you my knock and concern on us taking him was while he showed good signs in the role he had not shown an ability to consistently win enough ball it remained a problem and was probably the main reason he was delisted.

Including the 2017 draft  and all rookie drafts  we have taken just 5 what you would say are big bodied mids. THATS SEVEN WHOLE DRAFTS. and the list is not great.

2017 ZERO.
2018 RCD, Ross who as it turns out is not an inside mid but a winger apparently lol.
2019 Will Martyn who as it turned out was not a big mid but a hbf lol.
2020 ZERO.
2021 ZERO
2022 We traded for Taranto and Hopper lets be honest  we had to when you look at the commitment we had made to getting big mids.
2023 McAuliffe. Hallalujah we actually drafted the type no wonder people are happy.

Can you sit there and honestly say your happy with that? thats not a commitment its negligence

What is a worry is we have been just as remiss with genuine talls fwds and backs.
We continually pick skinny tall left footers

If they don’t weigh 82 + lhs and can’t run don’t pick ‘em, the maths is simple

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2024, 11:31:14 PM »
Tall, short, skinny, bulky who gives a toss. A dud is a dud and a gun is a gun. Draft the most talented player available at our pick simple as that.

Our dynasty side was hardly filled with this much sought after big bodied type, you could probably argue is was closer to the opposite. We drafted guns with our first round picks got lucky with some of our later/rookie picks then sprinkled in some trades/free agents and boot magic was made.

We’ve just come off 3 flags, something most of us didn’t even dream of. With that comes a bereft of top end picks, so naturally as our champs have set off into the sunset, what remains isn’t the most talented bunch. Bring on the rebuild and let’s hope it doesn’t take another 37 years this time.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2024, 11:39:28 PM »
Yeah but then claw wouldn't have a reason to list every player's height & weight..... :shh

- Thomas Sowell

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2024, 10:14:43 PM »
Tall, short, skinny, bulky who gives a toss. A dud is a dud and a gun is a gun. Draft the most talented player available at our pick simple as that.

Our dynasty side was hardly filled with this much sought after big bodied type, you could probably argue is was closer to the opposite. We drafted guns with our first round picks got lucky with some of our later/rookie picks then sprinkled in some trades/free agents and boot magic was made.

We’ve just come off 3 flags, something most of us didn’t even dream of. With that comes a bereft of top end picks, so naturally as our champs have set off into the sunset, what remains isn’t the most talented bunch. Bring on the rebuild and let’s hope it doesn’t take another 37 years this time.

If you went down that line then your list would probably be made up of 30 smalls with a small spattering of others.

WE field TWO teams every week and those teams are made up of ?? yes you got it Smalls Mediums and talls. Its pretty simple all clubs HAVE to pick all types  to be able to compete. The rest is pretty obvious so i won't go on but i reckon even youcan see its not remotely viable to pick best available at each pick and  even you can see why that why is.

Not long ago this debate was all about with your first rounders you take best available That still rings true. Trouble is there are not a lot ways we can Address list needs ignore list needs and whwer do you end up???

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2024, 10:28:26 PM »
Hmm Dusty Martin just a runt eh. How about Prestia small in stature but built like well you get the drift.

Lets do the exercise. Name each teams best mids and what they bring. Name the premiership teams over this century thats a good body of work.
Then look at teams who manage to stay up for long periods. I bet unlike us they draft or trade in somehow enough big bodied mids so there is a decent succession.

Same question if any one has the guts to answer it straight down the line.
Is taking JUST 5 questionable BIG MIDS GOOD ENOUGH OVER 7 YEARS when we had so few to start with.
 The only answer if people can be honest and stop stroking themselves is no. It really borders on negligence. What the stuff is list management mostly about ask yourselves that.

The bottom line is if we invested in enough Ball winning mids it really is likely we would not have had to sell the farm to get Taranto or Hopper.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2024, 10:51:18 PM »
 another year of  ONLY MY OPINION MATTERS, if you don’t agree with me , you will be receiving  capitals in response , LOL