Author Topic: Cricket thread  (Read 68509 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Cricket thread
« Reply #735 on: July 01, 2023, 10:37:55 PM »
Aussies 5/222 at Lunch.

Khawaja 77
Smith   34
Head     7
Green  15*
Carey   10*

A lead of 313 runs.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #736 on: July 02, 2023, 12:45:13 AM »
Doing our best to lose this.

8/261 and a lead of 352 but no Lyon and there's still about 145 overs to go for the match so the poms can take their sweet time.

Will have to bowl damned well.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #737 on: July 02, 2023, 01:23:11 AM »
Aussies 279 all out. And that will be Tea.

Green  15
Carey   21
Cummins 11
Hazlewood 1
Lyon  4 .... yep, he hit a boundary on one leg.
Starc    15*

A lead of 370 runs.

So, four sessions to bowl the Poms out.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #738 on: July 02, 2023, 01:23:39 AM »
Well that was some of the most amazing test cricket you'll see, watching Lyon go out to bat on one leg and help put on another 15 runs for the last wicket. What a hero.

And England for all their 'bazball' circle jerking were dead set gutless, every single fielder on the rope, not even bowling at the stumps of a guy who can't move. pee weak pathetic. I hope they lose by 1 stuffing run.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #739 on: July 02, 2023, 01:25:27 AM »
Don’t really understand the strategy once the tail came in. We were just content to duck or get out of the way of all the short deliveries. We wernt really gaining anything, may as well have thrown the bat at it a couple times an over atleast to try to get some runs. Only really started doing so once Lyon hobbled to the crease.

Even so a 370 run lead should do it you’d think but a really poor batting performance from us today.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #740 on: July 02, 2023, 01:35:37 AM »
Brave as hell by Lyon. He could hardly walk and definitely not run. Really weird cricket to watch though. It was either score a boundary or nothing. We missed about 15-20 runs from the lack of running between the wickets. On the hand, if Lyon hadn't gone out there, we would have 15 less runs to defend. So, I'd guess it was worth it from a team perspective. 

Sadly for Lyon, that innings will most likely be his last time ever playing in England.

Will have to bowl damned well.
Presumably, we will give them the same non-stop short stuff on this pitch they gave us. It worked against the Poms in the first innings. 

As much as it's tactical, you'd hope though this isn't a sign of the what's to come for the rest of the series. It's the cricket version of trench warfare.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #741 on: July 02, 2023, 06:03:03 AM »
Cheats!  :thumbsdown

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #742 on: July 02, 2023, 09:19:40 AM »
Was Erasmus an AFL umpire in a previous life? Most nonsensical decision I've ever seen in any sport -period. >:(
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #743 on: July 02, 2023, 10:12:41 AM »
A catch that actually is clearly a catch is deemed not to be a catch

While catches that you could argue aren't catches because they clearly touch the grass are given out.

This is where the TV umpire is a joke.

And to make it worse, the rule as it is currently written is a joke. As the "control of the body" is subjective. So every umpire can interpret it differently

Meanwhile every batsmen in the world would walk because they'd deem it a fair catch  :banghead

Farcical

And BTW a very poor batting effort by the Aussies. Yes the English tactics were pathetic but our batsmen got sucked in. And just on the short ball tactics employed by both sides, let's see if the umpires have the guts to enforce the rules of the game around "intimidating bowling". They can stop it if they've got the guts but I doubt they have.  >:(

« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 02:08:20 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #744 on: July 02, 2023, 10:18:54 AM »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #745 on: July 02, 2023, 10:42:46 AM »
If that wasn't a catch then there's no such thing as a catch anymore. Smith's allowed catch of Root in the first innings was far less of a catch under that interpretation (and it was still a catch too).   :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #746 on: July 02, 2023, 04:54:59 PM »
Cheats!  :thumbsdown

Wasn’t a catch
Starc caught it cleanly virtually a metre above the ground and the ball was always controlled tightly in his hand afterwards. As Dio said, if that's not a catch then there's no such thing as a catch.

What next? Every time a fielder has cleanly caught & controlled the ball but thrown it in the air to celebrate before regaining control of their body movement is not out? Erasmus' interpretation of the control of body clause in Law 33.3 is a remarkable break from precedent. Over the past 150 years of test cricket, Duckett would be given out.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #747 on: July 02, 2023, 05:10:02 PM »
Just arrived at Lords.

Despite some nerves the ticket wouldn't work im in.

Incredible this place if you love your cricket.

Now for the win.

What stand are you in Frankie?

It's 30 years since I was there. I sat in the Mound Stand

It was day 1 and Australia piled on the runs. Taylor, Slater and Boon

Agree if you love cricket it is a must do

Grand stand lower. Row 4. Basically deep backward square leg. Face value was 160p and I paid 250p through my mate over there who got them via a reseller.

If I knew how to post  pictures, audio and things on here I would. It is just an incredible stadium to watch cricket as you know WP.

I think it was one of the best sporting days I've  ever had outside AFL, in fact possibly the best. The crowd was great, though very subdued after we took those early 4.. Lyon I mean that was again amazing.. it had the lot.

BYO beers, champers into the stadium and they dress up over there. No thongs to be seen hahaha.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #748 on: July 02, 2023, 07:53:40 PM »
Just arrived at Lords.

Despite some nerves the ticket wouldn't work im in.

Incredible this place if you love your cricket.

Now for the win.

What stand are you in Frankie?

It's 30 years since I was there. I sat in the Mound Stand

It was day 1 and Australia piled on the runs. Taylor, Slater and Boon

Agree if you love cricket it is a must do

Grand stand lower. Row 4. Basically deep backward square leg. Face value was 160p and I paid 250p through my mate over there who got them via a reseller.

If I knew how to post  pictures, audio and things on here I would. It is just an incredible stadium to watch cricket as you know WP.

I think it was one of the best sporting days I've  ever had outside AFL, in fact possibly the best. The crowd was great, though very subdued after we took those early 4.. Lyon I mean that was again amazing.. it had the lot.

BYO beers, champers into the stadium and they dress up over there. No thongs to be seen hahaha.

You will remember being there for Lyon’s innings forever .. iconic cricket moment

I’ll never forget being at the G for Warnie’s hat trick

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #749 on: July 02, 2023, 09:16:20 PM »
140 quid?  :gobdrop

My ticket was 30p and I bought it at Tulla Airport. Bloke had tickets for all 5 days and that week his work had cancelled his holidays. So he was at Tulla trying to offload them. He charged me face value of the ticket. I still have the ticket. Gold embossed printing, amazing

Did feel for the bloke having his leave cancelled at the last minute for his trip a lifetime

Back in 1993 you had to write to the MCC and request tickets,  you then went in a draw and if your got drawn out you were lucky
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)