Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 919162 times)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #1005 on: January 25, 2008, 01:12:13 PM »
Thanks MT great stuff. :clapping
look forward to an in depth report. 8)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1006 on: January 25, 2008, 01:13:50 PM »
Lids and Simmo were boundary umps.
I didn't see newy or Joel out there.
Howat, Gus, Connors, Cotch were doing the stats.
No Thursty, NcGuane or Meyer either.

Tambo was the only casualty from today (see other thread).

Hydey and Rainesy said it was bloody hot out there which isn't surprising as it was hot just standing in the sun watching.

Individuals

Rainsey - liked what he did today. Ran hard and got a heap of it but more importantly he "gived and goed" instead of holding onto the ball for too long.

Polak - Quite in the first quarter but took a couple of good marks in the second presenting from CHF. Made a goal saving tackle in the back pocket too which resulted in a coast-to-coast goal to his blacks.

Browny - A typical browny game getting a fair bit of footy and kicked one (maybe two himself) and set up a couple of others.

Riewoldt - Kicked a couple of goals but one was a gift from Richo who should have gone back and kicked it himself.

Edwards - I didn't notice him too much today. Kicked a nice goal.

Richo - A typical Richo performance. The good with the "what are you doing Richo!". Missed a couple of set shots himself but gave off two goals to teammates. Also played on when he shouldn't have and stuffed one up. 

McMahon - Got better as the game went along and was more influential in the second quarter rebounding of HB and setting up attacks.

Polo - Excellent first quarter. Started in the midfield and had 2.1 to his name and a fair bit of the pill. Was less noticable in the second.

Petts - Good game from Kayne. Presented hard on the lead and was getting the footy not only in the forward line but also pushed up to the wing. Another forward who had a short spurt in the midfield. Ended up with 2 goals.

Sugar - Solid game from the captain. Got his share of footy.

Rance - Started on Jack at CHB. Promising display. Did some nice work setting up teammates to run through the lines via handball and did a great difficult spoil on Richo near the end.

Putt - Was soundly beaten in the tapwork by Cartledge which isn't too surprising. Still raw.

Morton - I didn't notice him too much today. Did a nice couple of passes to the forwards.

Tuck - Not a real influence on the game. Looked like he started forward today and kicked the Yellows first goal.

Jacko - Solid. Nice goal.

Cogs - Got through the game which was great news. Got a few possessions and was running well but no real influence.

Schulz - Thought he did alright today. Started in defence once again and produced a courageous mark running back with the flight in front of Richo. Pushed forward in the second quarter to kick a goal.

Patto - Typical Patto game. Works hards, got his fair share of footy but his kicking can be hit and miss. Played CHF and as a follower around the ground. Had a short spell in the ruck.

Collard - up there with the bests today. Kicked 3 goals and had about 8 possessions if I head correctly. Skill level and finishing very good. Played mostly forward for the Yellows with a spell in the midfield. We were saying shame he's only a rookie.

JON - My God! He may be a footballer after all  ;D. One of the bests today. Was everywhere and I overheard he had 10 possessions. Most of all his kicking was pretty good albeit he was in space and he actually ran to the right spots and just did things right 95% of the time. Played on Gourdis on a HBF as well as spells in the midfield.

Tambo - Solid in the midfield. Worked hard inside. Sadly copped what looked like an ankle injury.

Hyde - Another much maligned player in the bests today. Ran the lines well setting up inside 50s and collected 10 possessions. Only criticism is the usual one - no right foot. Stalled a centre clearance because he couldn't keep running out on his right and had to stop and cut back on his left.

Tivs - Solid game. Kicked one of his trademark goals on the run.

Collins - Not bad. Played on a wing and midfield. Probably more noticeable in the second quarter.

Hughes - I didn't notice Cleve too much today. Passed off a goal to Browny.

White - Was against Hyde on a wing.

Cass - Solid. Got a fair bit of it running through the lines and kicking long into the forward line.

Moore - Was on Browny who probably won the 1-on-1 duel today. Moore still had a few rebounds and runs out of defence.

Foley - Solid in the midfield as we've come to expect from Axel.

Gourdis - Had a couple of possessions and one snap at goal which missed quite badly. Still very raw.

Kingy - Started like a house on fire. Less noticable in the 2nd quarter. He started in defence but also spent a fair bit of time in the midfield and didn't look out of place. Love the little mongrel in him lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1007 on: January 25, 2008, 01:33:35 PM »
Forgot Silvester - Played mainly on Richo for most of the game. I only saw him have one kick but I guess when you forward opponent doesn't kick a goal you've done your job.

Match-ups (I didn't write these down so apologies if I don't remember them all)

Yellow forwards:   Richo         Riewoldt     Gourdis     Patto     Collard 
Black  defenders:  Silvester      Rance       JON         Schulz     King

Blacks forwards:  Browny/Petts   Hughes and Polak were the tall timber
Yellow defenders: Moore/Rainesy           Putt spent some time in defence   McMahon

The mids were heavily rotated and there were some surprises - Rainesy, Kingy, Collard had time in the centre. Hyde and Whitey on one wing spent the game on each other. Cartledge and Putt did most of the respective centre bounce ruckwork.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1008 on: January 25, 2008, 01:46:26 PM »
As far as the overall game went the teams were fairly evenly matched so credit there to the coaching staff. A much better idea than the probables vs possibles intra-club games of the past which were mostly one-sided. The Blacks got off to a flyer thanks mainly to Kingy, JON and Polo and kicked the first 3 goals. The game then evened out and the Yellows were actually finishing the stronger in the first quarter but missed a number of gettable shots. The Yellows had the better of the second quarter initially as Collard, Foley, Sugar and Tambo started to win some footy out of the centre and they got out to a 8 point lead. However the Blacks were able to get back the momentum through lifting their workrate summed up by Polak's tackle and Rance's spoil and the Blacks finished with the last 4 goals.

In terms of gamestyle it was pretty much direct and similar to the way we played the last 4 games of last year. Lots of rebounding from defence, running the lines and then a long kick forward. We still make a number of mistakes especially when entering our forward 50s but I thought the standard improved as the game went along. Initially a few marks were dropped so hopefully that's just a sign that they are rusty. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1009 on: January 25, 2008, 01:48:54 PM »
Cheers for the report blaisee. I'll merge the reports so they are all in the one thread and keep this one just for news on Tambo's ankle  :).

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1010 on: January 25, 2008, 02:07:09 PM »

Polo - Excellent first quarter. Started in the midfield and had 2.1 to his name and a fair bit of the pill. Was less noticable in the second.

Schulz - Thought he did alright today. Started in defence once again and produced a courageous mark running back with the flight in front of Richo. Pushed forward in the second quarter to kick a goal.

Collard - up there with the bests today. Kicked 3 goals and had about 8 possessions if I head correctly. Skill level and finishing very good. Played mostly forward for the Yellows with a spell in the midfield. We were saying shame he's only a rookie.

JON - My God! He may be a footballer after all  ;D. One of the bests today. Was everywhere and I overheard he had 10 possessions. Most of all his kicking was pretty good albeit he was in space and he actually ran to the right spots and just did things right 95% of the time. Played on Gourdis on a HBF as well as spells in the midfield.

These reports are most pleasing. Schulz, Polo and JON particularly.
A little more on these guys would be appreciated. 8)

Cogs - Got through the game which was great news. Got a few possessions and was running well but no real influence.

Patto - Typical Patto game. Works hards, got his fair share of footy but his kicking can be hit and miss. Played CHF and as a follower around the ground. Had a short spell in the ruck.

Hughes - I didn't notice Cleve too much today. Passed off a goal to Browny.

A little more concerned about the guys above.

Patto's disposal seemingly hasn't got any better. :-\

Cogs is unlikley to have much early influence.

Cleve? Meh.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1011 on: January 25, 2008, 02:55:53 PM »
These reports are most pleasing. Schulz, Polo and JON particularly.
A little more on these guys would be appreciated. 8)
I've been one of JON's biggest critics but you wouldn't have thought it was same player seeing him live today. He was in control whenever he had the footy and looked more natural in his movements. He wasn't all gangly and looking like he had no idea like he did last year at Coburg. His run off the ball to support teammates and handball receive was excellent. He was hitting targets by hand and foot and using his height and pace to advantage. He actually looked dangerous out there. Like I said he finally looked and played like a footballer. JON would've been in the top 3 of the bests today.

Polo - think his debut game. Running through the lines and into space to get on the end of passes and finishing with a couple of goals on the run from 45m.

Collard was most impressive. Just a very classy display and most importantly finished off his work. Even Cotch, Gus, Connors and Cam who were watching right near us and taking down all the stats were saying "Collard again". If he's in range the opposition better not give him a couple of metres as he'll make them pay. Just a dead-eye dick.

Sarge - I noticed him more in the first quarter as we were closer to where he was playing. Picked off a couple of incoming passes (one was running back with the flight) and had a couple of rebounds. Would've had the better of Patto when Patto was inside 50.  Mind you there wasn't a situation where Patto and Schulz were 1-on-1 going for the ball. Patto got more of it up the ground. Schulz had one minor fumble on the ground but most of his groundwork was clean. He was getting lots of encouragement from Gus, Connors, Howat and Cotch watching on the sidelines.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1012 on: January 25, 2008, 03:10:42 PM »
is it just me or has Deledio put on more muscle around his arms ???

same as Coughlan ... obviously he has had more time in the gym ???
Yep Lids is definitely bigger in the arms and shoulders. A friend of mine asked Lids if he was benchpressing a ute lol.

when Jay was in defence was he matched-up ??? also Polak ???
Yep on last Friday and Wednesday Schulz was right on Polak's shoulder.

how was the talk volume ??? on the ground ???
Nothing more than usual.

did you say before that Johnson, Tivendale and Hyde played similar roles ??? if so ... was Jackson playing that tagging role ???
No, Jacko last Friday wasn't tagging anyone. He was allowed to be a ballwinner.

i have read many times that we get someone from The Melbourne Storm to come and help us tackle ...

i guess take note when they play in today's 2 quarter match the tackling ...
Tackling was good today. Our sheperding at times though can still improve.

who matched-up on Gourdis ??? and did Gourdis beat that player ???
Gourdis was playing defence at the Yarra Falls end last Friday so it was hard to see who was on who from where we were. He may have been on Jordy but I'm not sure. Today he was on JON and JON was allowed to do almost as he pleased.

Richardson looks a bit thinner in the body and bigger in the shoulders ??? maybe it is just me ...

how was his running and "strech-out marking" ??? is he still marking on his chest out on the lead ???

Riewoldt ??? played up forward i guess ... how did he go and who took him ...
I don't think Richo is any smaller than last year up close. He's still able to outlead his direct opponent and yep marking on his chest. That will never change.

Jack did well last Friday in combo with Hughes and Lids and looked dangerous but he was a bit quiet today. The 2 goals were basically his only contribution and one of those was fed on a platter in the goalsquare by Richo who should have kicked it himself.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1013 on: January 25, 2008, 03:19:10 PM »
I forgot to add that old habits die hard for Richo. Pushed his opponent in the back about 4 times  :shh but only had one free paid against him 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1014 on: January 26, 2008, 03:14:36 AM »
Looking back at the photos from Wednesday's training, Lids may have been rested yesterday due to a knock to his left hip.

http://oneeyed-richmond.com/images/team/training_230108/pic9.jpg

Offline Rex

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #1015 on: January 26, 2008, 08:16:19 AM »
I forgot to add that old habits die hard for Richo. Pushed his opponent in the back about 4 times  :shh but only had one free paid against him 

please learn Mr. Richardson ;)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1016 on: January 26, 2008, 09:53:37 AM »

I think he has Rex - it's all about if you get caught :rollin just ask Fev, Lloyd and Hall ;)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Rex

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #1017 on: January 26, 2008, 10:09:43 AM »

I think he has Rex - it's all about if you get caught :rollin just ask Fev, Lloyd and Hall ;)

"Take a dive Lloydy" yes well we all know about the worlds most protected FF don't we?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1018 on: January 26, 2008, 02:30:50 PM »

"Take a dive Lloydy" yes well we all know about the worlds most protected FF don't we?
Don't forget Saint Nick "you can't touch me" Riewoldt  ::)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1019 on: January 28, 2008, 06:14:04 PM »
I couldn't find them today  ;D

They weren't at Victoria Park, they weren't at Goesch's paddock, ditto out on Punt Road Oval butr the car park was full around 10.15am

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)