Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 923849 times)

Tigermonk

Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #1320 on: July 22, 2008, 06:10:45 PM »
what about Cogs MT must tell us every week hows cCogs pulling up  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1321 on: July 22, 2008, 06:59:22 PM »
what about Cogs MT must tell us every week hows cCogs pulling up  ;D
I didn't see Cogs but like I said I was distracted talking to friends so I may have just missed him on the far side of the ground. I didn't see Jacko, Tivs, Hughes or Collins either. Of course no Polly or Petts. I didn't realise Foley was training until 5 minutes from the end  :wallywink.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

richmondrules

« Reply #1322 on: July 23, 2008, 10:18:19 AM »
It's all just one big social event for you isn't is MT. Where's the dedication?!

I'm joking, just in case you are one of those people without a sense of humour who will take may statement seriously. (Which I am sure you are not). Any training info is always gratefully receive and much appreciated.  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1323 on: July 23, 2008, 07:35:57 PM »
It's all just one big social event for you isn't is MT. Where's the dedication?!
Of course it is  ;D. I hadn't been for a couple weeks so I was catching up on the footy goss.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1324 on: July 30, 2008, 03:51:19 AM »
I didn't have time yesterday to type this up so here it is now. Better late than never.

Training was at a sunny Punt Rd. Only a shortish session that went for about an hour. Virtually all the list was present except for Polly and Petts of course plus Cleve.

A fair few who were at training didn't train and spent the session with the rehab group. Richo, Thursty and Moore did some kick-to-kick. Newy, Cotch, Browny, Foley, Jordie, Patto, Gourdis and Cass did reflex ball stuff with Gordon Casey. Connors looked also to be switching between the main squad and the rehab group. Cartledge, Graham and Putt worked on the ruck techniques with Monkhurst for the whole session.

As far as training itself, the first half of the session was the usual stuff they did each week. The second half of the session they worked on a couple of specific things. One of these was forming 4 groups on the corners of a square about 30-40m apart and the idea was to pass to any of the other corners avoiding an assistant coach standing the mark and 2-3 players roaming the middle the square trying to cut off the passes. Basically it looked like they were simulating footpassing through a mini-zone. Perhaps working on our kick-ins and clearing the defensive 50 which we stuffed up in the 3rd quarter against Brisbane turning the ball over. The coaches gave the squad praise after they did the drill. I roughly saw about 4-5 passes miss the target in the whole 10 minutes or so they were doing this drill and most of those errant passes had nothing to do with the zone. Just passes going over the receiving player's head. The other specific drill was just working on setting up outside forward 50 and hitting a teammate on the lead with an opponent on his tail.

They finished off with a brief spell of set shot goalkicking. After most of the squad had gone in, David King kept our defensive group (both Richmond and Coburg-based RFC guys) out there for a further 10 minutes talking to them in a huddle.

As for the guys making their comeback from injury: Cogs trained fully and got through another session as did Rainesy and Jake King.

Offline Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1325 on: July 30, 2008, 07:53:23 AM »
MT, thanks for your training reports. We don't hear much in Sydney and I always look forward to reading them. Cheers

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1326 on: July 30, 2008, 08:15:51 PM »
I didn't have time yesterday to type this up so here it is now. Better late than never.

Training was at a sunny Punt Rd. Only a shortish session that went for about an hour. Virtually all the list was present except for Polly and Petts of course plus Cleve.

A fair few who were at training didn't train and spent the session with the rehab group. Richo, Thursty and Moore did some kick-to-kick. Newy, Cotch, Browny, Foley, Jordie, Patto, Gourdis and Cass did reflex ball stuff with Gordon Casey. Connors looked also to be switching between the main squad and the rehab group. Cartledge, Graham and Putt worked on the ruck techniques with Monkhurst for the whole session.

As far as training itself, the first half of the session was the usual stuff they did each week. The second half of the session they worked on a couple of specific things. One of these was forming 4 groups on the corners of a square about 30-40m apart and the idea was to pass to any of the other corners avoiding an assistant coach standing the mark and 2-3 players roaming the middle the square trying to cut off the passes. Basically it looked like they were simulating footpassing through a mini-zone. Perhaps working on our kick-ins and clearing the defensive 50 which we stuffed up in the 3rd quarter against Brisbane turning the ball over. The coaches gave the squad praise after they did the drill. I roughly saw about 4-5 passes miss the target in the whole 10 minutes or so they were doing this drill and most of those errant passes had nothing to do with the zone. Just passes going over the receiving player's head. The other specific drill was just working on setting up outside forward 50 and hitting a teammate on the lead with an opponent on his tail.

They finished off with a brief spell of set shot goalkicking. After most of the squad had gone in, David King kept our defensive group (both Richmond and Coburg-based RFC guys) out there for a further 10 minutes talking to them in a huddle.

As for the guys making their comeback from injury: Cogs trained fully and got through another session as did Rainesy and Jake King.

If they plan to do this on Sat night, we may as well put up the white flag now. In the cut and thrust of a game against the reigning premier in ominous form, this strategy will cause enormous pressure on our kicking skills and then our defense.  We will turn it over.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1327 on: July 30, 2008, 08:38:28 PM »
The second half of the session they worked on a couple of specific things. One of these was forming 4 groups on the corners of a square about 30-40m apart and the idea was to pass to any of the other corners avoiding an assistant coach standing the mark and 2-3 players roaming the middle the square trying to cut off the passes. Basically it looked like they were simulating footpassing through a mini-zone.

If they plan to do this on Sat night, we may as well put up the white flag now. In the cut and thrust of a game against the reigning premier in ominous form, this strategy will cause enormous pressure on our kicking skills and then our defense.  We will turn it over.
I think we'll stick to what we've been doing but I guess the above drill was for two reasons. Firstly we at times get in a rut with our kick-ins after a point trying to find an open man and clearing our defensive 50 (remember Jordie doing the kick-ins against Brisbane and going long only for the Lion talls to pick them off :-\ ). This especially happens when the opposition have the momemtum of the game (our dreaded 3rd quarter sleeps). Secondly Geelong are the best defensive team at applying pressure when they don't have the ball and force turnovers by the opposition. 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1328 on: August 07, 2008, 08:28:03 PM »
Training today was at a sunny Punt Rd Oval. Quite a long session for midweek. Nearly 2 hours long. A nice day to be outside too. The club had also organised for some visiting NT kids to watch training and talk to Blingers and JON afterwards. Hopefully we can convert some of the non-believers over to the Tiger faith.

Most of the squad was in attendance. Only Polak (for obvious reasons), Putt, Petts and Rainesy I didn't see train. Not sure what's wrong with Rainesy although I missed the first 30 mins. Hopefully he hasn't done his hammy again. Petts was on crutches in the race watching training and I was told Putt was inside in the gym. 

As for training itself, there was a heavy emphasis on 1-on-1 work. The squad was split into two teams and paired up over the ground. One side would be the attackers/defenders going one way down the ground spotting up players leading into space and then they would swap heading back. Blingers was the standout in the drill as he was able to use his pace to get goal side of his opponent inside 50 and mark. They kept the forward 50 open so players ran from the midfield inside 50.

The drill that followed was still 1-on-1 but involved more run and carry from the team attacking and breaking the lines. Cotch lapped this up. Some brilliant one-twos with teammates as he keeps on running. He's looked like the lack of a preseason was catching up with him the last couple of weeks but he was flying today. They did some running goalkicking towards the end of training and he was slotting the middle of the big sticks without miss. Cotch was pretty happy with himself too high-fiving the assistant coaches. 

As far as the rehab group there wasn't a permanent one today. Browny and Cass stood out of the run and carry stuff. Richo did some running on his own to start with before joining the main squad about halfway through the session. I mentioned in the other thread that Simmo stopped to chat about his left knee with the fitness coordinator midway through training doing one leg bends to test it out before joining in main training. The rucks Simmo, Patto, Cartledge and Gus training separately with Monkhurst for most of the session.

Just before the end of training the coaches pulled the side from last week plus Browny aside and into a huddle for a lengthy chat.     

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1329 on: August 19, 2008, 05:46:23 PM »
Training today was as usual at Punt Rd Oval. A sunny winter's day to watch training which went for about 45 minutes. It wasn't a heavy training session either given it was just 2 days after they played and they're still a bit sore. Mostly it just running and a bit of a light kick and handball. Morton showed his goal along the ground on Sunday wasn't a fluke as he was practising it today.

There were a few guys in the rehab group:
Moore had the left ankle he hurt on Sunday tapped up.
Browny just did handball and no running or kicking. We all thought he won't play again this week.
Foley looked much freer in his movements. He was jogging and kicking. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back in this week.
Putt has a brace on his right leg supporting the knee he injured. 
Meyer was also in rehab presumably with his ankle.
Howat was there too.

Absent from what I saw were Petts, Polly, Silvester and Cass. I didn't see Tivs either but I may have just not seen him.

The rest appeared to train fully with the main squad before going inside. Richo and Collins went in first. Tucky, Collard and Polo stayed out longer to do some bananas from the boundary line. Tuck then did some marking on the lead and handball with Gordon Casey.

Cotchin and Riewoldt were showing off their soccer skills. Bouncing the ball from foot to foot to thigh and on their head. Both talented sportsmen as well as AFL footballers. Even the photographers were impressed and snapped up a zillion photos of the both of them doing their party tricks.

Rawlings then took the Coburg RFC guys for another 15-20mins of marking on the lead. Cartledge, Edwards (compression  bandage around his right elbow) and Polo stayed out with Cogs, JON, Gourdis, Rance, Graham, Patto, Collard, Hyde and Hughes (left wrist was tapped up).

Patto told us as he was walking up the race that he should play this week. Not sure if he meant for Richmond or Coburg though.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1330 on: August 20, 2008, 03:56:45 PM »
Very insightful as always MT.

Interesting that Patto suggested he would play. I would thin they would give Cartledge another chance in the first given his circumstances so maybe he meant the 2nds?

Doesn't sould like OP for Foley as rumoured. Hope they don't bring him back too quickly unless he is 100%.

Will be interesting this week to see who is named. I would guess that we will remain unchanged.

Stripes

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1331 on: August 20, 2008, 04:19:29 PM »
Very insightful as always MT.

Interesting that Patto suggested he would play. I would thin they would give Cartledge another chance in the first given his circumstances so maybe he meant the 2nds?

Doesn't sould like OP for Foley as rumoured. Hope they don't bring him back too quickly unless he is 100%.

Will be interesting this week to see who is named. I would guess that we will remain unchanged.

Stripes

I would think we'll at least name Foley as an IN to give him every shot at being right for Saturday.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1332 on: August 21, 2008, 04:43:41 AM »
Yep TA I think they'll put Axel in the 25 too with whoever they drop in the emergencies ready to come back in if Foley doesn't come up.

I hope they give Cartledge another go too Stripes. In fact I'd give him the remaining 2 games to prove himself at AFL level. He can't be re-rookied as he is too old so it's either the senior list in 2009 or delist him come the end of October.

Offline F0551L

• One Eyed Richmond Gold member "eat em alive" Marching on to Victory in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Strong and Bold
« Reply #1333 on: August 21, 2008, 03:29:27 PM »
Yep TA I think they'll put Axel in the 25 too with whoever they drop in the emergencies ready to come back in if Foley doesn't come up.

I hope they give Cartledge another go too Stripes. In fact I'd give him the remaining 2 games to prove himself at AFL level. He can't be re-rookied as he is too old so it's either the senior list in 2009 or delist him come the end of October.

MT  is there a posibility we would keep Cartledge and offer up Patto as a trade ?

EAT EM ALIVE 2016 TIGERS

Retired to the Bench

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1334 on: August 21, 2008, 08:34:22 PM »
MT  is there a posibility we would keep Cartledge and offer up Patto as a trade ?
There always the possibility if a deal is too good to pass off but Patto is only 21 and the big guys usually take longer to develop unless they are freaks so IMO the club will hold onto him.

Cartledge's future could come down to trade week as it occurs in early October while the first delistings don't have to be finalised until the end of October. If we pick up Warnock in a trade then I doubt Cartledge will survive. If we fail to pick up an experienced ruckman then who knows.