Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 923901 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #1665 on: March 05, 2009, 03:14:59 PM »
It's a cunning plan that cannot fail.

:lol
:rollin

29 years in the making!  ;D
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1666 on: March 11, 2009, 06:12:01 PM »
Training today was at Vic Park. Quite a warm day once the sun came out. It was officially a closed session with a board by the locked gates saying so but OER reporters were allowed to sit in and watch the roughly 2 hour session  :thumbsup.

In the rehab group today were:
Cotch - still not running and just watched why kicking the footy to himself.
Sugar - likewise just watched the session from the boundary.
Petts, Cogs, Cleve and Patto joined in with the main group for the usual handball and kicking drills but once the game-based drills started they stepped out. Cogs and Cleve did some jogging kick-to-kick with a trainer. Cogs then joined Patto and they plenty of hard running around the boundary line for the rest of the session.
I didn't notice Silvester out there but I may have missed seeing him.
Connors was absent with his broken finger as mentioned in the other thread.

Apart from the scratch match the rucks - Simmo, Gus, Putty, Vickers, Browne - and Gourdis worked on contested marking and leaping marking from behind and across the front of the pack with Monkhurst. Without Gourdis they also did the usual ruck practice.

After the main squad had done their usual handball and kicking drills, the main purpose of the session was to work on and fine-tune game-based scenarios - rebounding, work at stoppages, and zoning (both implementing it defensively and attacking against it). A scratch match was also played although it wasn't a proper game as such as it seemed to be more about getting the yellows (team most likely for round 1) ready. The coaching staff would intervene during it to work on different aspects of the gameplan. For example the yellows would kick a goal yet the other side (blue-singlets) got to kick it in as if a point was scored so the yellows could work on their kick-in zoning. Another time they restarted with a throw-in in the forward 50. The blue-tops did plenty of zone set-ups. Plenty of yelling orchestring where teammates needed to stand and fill space. Cambo was instructing both sides how to free up a teammate once they got forward of centre.

From memory the teams and match-ups were:

F:   Morton         Schulz                (Yellows)
B:   Polo                               King

HF:  Browny      Riewoldt        Bowden
HB:                   Rance

R:   Simmo
      Gus/Browne

C:  Tuck, Lids, Cuz, Jacko, White
     Foley, Thomson, Edwards, Post, Gilligan

Wing: Richo
          Putt

HB:   McMahon      McGaune      Newman
HF:   Tambling       Polak           Hislop

B:     Raines        Moore         Thursty
F:      Nahas       Gourdis       Vickery  

JON?, Collins?

Tuck - BOG today. Got a heap of it at the stoppages and through the midfield.

Cuz - Just makes it look so easy and was running all over the place without probs. He played both in the guts and on a HFF. Edwards was his match-up in the forward line. You've got to love Cuz's blind turns to spin out of a tight situation and out into space. The look on Putty's face was priceless at one stage  :lol.

Lids - got plenty of it also. At one stage got a clearance and then pushed forward into the goalsquare to mark and goal.

Richo was Richo. Started on the wing, took a mark in defence and then pushed forward to nail a great pack mark against 3-4 opponents  :clapping.

Browny also got his hands on the footy. I notice I'm mentioning our main guns but they were very good today.

Looking at the team if seems Wallace and the match committee have settled on their back six with Raines making up that "6th" spot. Newy was the general off half-back. Got a heap of it and pushed to wing and half-forward line at times as he usually does.

Post appears to be being groomed for Richo midfield role. Basically played as a midfielder. Didn't get a lot of it but did some nice change of directions with his decision making that impressed the coaching staff. Hislop had something mentioned to him about switching the play and the next time he got ball and followed the instruction Cambo gave him a wrap. David King's voice is hard to miss btw lol. Jade Rawlings turned up on crutches. Not sure what was wrong.

After the scratch match, the blue-singlets headed off and the yellow side plus Foley, Tambling, Rance, Browne and Gus (side for Carrara) stayed on and did the more rebounding drills with the assistant coaches acting as nuisances to pick off any errant kicks which were good to see few and far between today. Interestingly the side was flip-flopped at times with the rebounding sometimes starting with the forwards and going both ways so everyone was linking up with run and carry.

I try to be as balanced as I can for a Tigers supporter and not look through rose coloured glasses at training but overall I have to say this was one of the most positive training sessions I've watched and walked away afterwards from. Very hard to find fault with them today as they trained hard and more importantly their intensity, skills and decision making were all very good. They were switched on today. I'll feel quietly confident about round 1 if today's training is the standard we set and deliver on March 26.

Any questions just fire away  :cheers.

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1667 on: March 11, 2009, 06:20:33 PM »
I got in today also MT and I was again impressed by young collins playing midfield in the scratch match. He is being groomed as a long term ruck rover.

Silvester did train today.

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1668 on: March 11, 2009, 06:23:16 PM »
Another thing I will mention is how delighted I am over our young Rucks. Browne and Vickery in particular. 

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1669 on: March 11, 2009, 07:16:49 PM »
Another thing I will mention is how delighted I am over our young Rucks. Browne and Vickery in particular. 
Agree CT. Short-term our ruck stocks are still an issue (too reliant on Simmo) but long-term I'm feeling more confident our ruck division will be a strength once the cubs develop and bulk up in their 20s. We knew Vickery has talent but Browne is the surprise packet for mine. Interesting to see how he goes up at Carrara. A good game in the ruck won't do his rookie promotion prospects any harm.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1670 on: March 11, 2009, 11:37:24 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'm at half mast already after reading that and the game is still two weeks away.   ;D

Can't wait for the 26th of March.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1671 on: March 11, 2009, 11:52:17 PM »
Good to hear the guns are hitting their stride.
Damn shame about Cotch & Connors though.. :(

We're a few down but it's been a damn sight worse.

Agree CT. Short-term our ruck stocks are still an issue (too reliant on Simmo) but long-term I'm feeling more confident our ruck division will be a strength once the cubs develop and bulk up in their 20s. We knew Vickery has talent but Browne is the surprise packet for mine. Interesting to see how he goes up at Carrara. A good game in the ruck won't do his rookie promotion prospects any harm.

How old is Browne MT?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1672 on: March 12, 2009, 12:37:57 AM »
How old is Browne MT?
18. Turns 19 in July.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #1673 on: March 12, 2009, 09:11:26 AM »
We knew Vickery has talent but Browne is the surprise packet for mine. Interesting to see how he goes up at Carrara. A good game in the ruck won't do his rookie promotion prospects any harm.

I picked up the AFL prospectus yesterday and they wrote some very positive stuff on Browne.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1674 on: March 12, 2009, 05:00:07 PM »
How old is Browne MT?
18. Turns 19 in July.

Wow he's just a baby.
Goes to show you never can tell with ruckmen. Their development follows a very unpredictable path.
At least we're finally utilising the rookie list to unearth these big guys.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1675 on: March 12, 2009, 06:48:07 PM »
I picked up the AFL prospectus yesterday and they wrote some very positive stuff on Browne.
If it isn't too much to type out what does it say wayne?

At least we're finally utilising the rookie list to unearth these big guys.
Agree Magic. What the rookie list should be for as big guys take longer to develop. When you think about it 2 of our 3 key defenders are from our rookie list. In fact McMahon is our only top 35 pick in our starting back 6. All the rest were either late picks or rookies - McGaune 36, Newy 53, Raines 76?, Moore (r) and Thursty (r). Rance of course will change that in time being pick 18.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #1676 on: March 12, 2009, 08:55:36 PM »
If it isn't too much to type out what does it say wayne?

Browne was one of the TAC Cup's leading ruckmen in 2008, performing well not only in the ruck contest but also around the ground. He averaged 13 hitouts per game and maintained an elite hitout-to-advantage rate, and also won his fair share of the ball with an average of 14 disposals per game. He took more contested marks than any TAC Cup ruckman, pushed forward to boot 17 goals and also read the play well when dropping back in defence to average two marks from opposition kicks.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1677 on: March 12, 2009, 09:30:23 PM »
Browne was one of the TAC Cup's leading ruckmen in 2008, performing well not only in the ruck contest but also around the ground. He averaged 13 hitouts per game and maintained an elite hitout-to-advantage rate, and also won his fair share of the ball with an average of 14 disposals per game. He took more contested marks than any TAC Cup ruckman, pushed forward to boot 17 goals and also read the play well when dropping back in defence to average two marks from opposition kicks.
Cheers wayne  :cheers.

A pretty impressive wrap. Basically everything a recruiter would want from a ruckman.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1678 on: March 12, 2009, 11:35:59 PM »
Sounds like a premiership ruckman after that write up.
Move over Dean Cox. ;D

Ta Wayne!

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1679 on: March 13, 2009, 06:42:10 PM »
Well done again MT and thank you. I noticed you said it looks like the back six are settled, did you mean: Moore, Thursty, Sanchez, Newman, McGuane & Rance?? If so I hope so it looks pretty good down there now.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"