Author Topic: Tiger Training  (Read 923853 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Tiger Training
« Reply #2430 on: February 24, 2010, 08:44:31 PM »
I went down to watch training this morning. You've got to love the media for contorting what happens at training into what they want to report. More on that later.

Rehab group:
Griffiths - ran a number of laps. He didn't appear to have any noticeable injury so maybe they are just trying to get his fitness up after missing a fair bit of footy last year.

Nason - jogged a lap and then walked a couple more. He's got a compression bandage around the knee. He kicked the ball with the opposite leg so he can put his bodyweight on the crook leg.

Jacko and Kingy - did the same program together. Jogged a few laps, did some 30-50m sprinting and then did some kick to kick after the main squad had finished training.

As for those who had been in the rehab group - McGaune and Thursty trained fully so I'm presuming they'll play in our next practice match in Yea.

Onto training itself. The first drill had the squad split into groups of 3-4 players around various points of the ground where you had to kick to the advantage side of a teammate from another group. I was behind the Northern end goal so you passed from near the goal-line to someone else who was leading to the forward pocket. This player would then hit a lead to the HFF and that player would then pass inside back to the corridor and so on with a ball being kicked back to the someone in the first group by the goal to start again. Yeah the footpassing was average from the same old same olds who we know can't kick but any journo could have said the same thing over past years as well. Hardly a revelation. The media acting as though this was the first Richmond training session they had ever turned up to  :sleep.  

Most of the rest of the session had the squad split in defence (Southern end of the ground), midfield/rucks (far wing), and forwards (Northern end) groups. The forward group near me consisted off Jack (vocal as ever instructing the others), Morton, Nahas, Roberts, Hislop. I think Thomson was out there too but I could be wrong.

For the next drill each group did the same thing which was the retaining of possession with 20-30m chip passes while opponents applied defensive pressure that the media were talking about. Basically it was keepings off as there were no marks paid. It was always plan on. Each group had 3 guys trying to spoil or force a bad kick. Once a mistake was made those players involved became the chasers.

Next up the defence, midfield/ruck and forwards group performed drills specific to their position. So the forwards worked on defensive pressure and a rolling zone from an opponents kick-in. Jack was constantly talking and pointing fingers instructing the zone. Basically a kick-in would go to one pocket and the zone would push over and then the next kick would go back across to the other side and the zone would follow. The midfielders concentrated on stoppage work at ball-ups and tackling. Simmo, Vickery, Gus and Browne were all involved. Even Lade joined in. At one stage we had the coaches up against the mids at stoppages which was kind of funny. I'm not sure exactly sure what the backline group was doing. It looked like they were trying to loop long kicks over a teammate's head so they could mark without stopping.

And that was about it for most of the squad who went inside. The rucks stayed out along with Collins and a couple of other small mids to do more tap and stoppage work with Brendon Lade. Contin did about 10 minutes worth of reflex handballs with a trainer. Jacko and Kingy stayed out longer to do some sprinting work as I mentioned.

Photos to come later on. Any questions fire away  :cheers.

MT, there lies the problem.
Why do they practice kicking the ball 20-30 metres at training for ?????
Tell you what happens on match day, they try and kick the ball 20-30 metres.
You know my past history and I have watched all clubs for years, except Richmond, Can tell you that Geelong and others are successfull for a reason.

Jack we cant practise kicking long until we start hitting targets under pressure over 20-30 metres. Can't build the world in the day.

No, what they are trying to acheive is near impossible,
The game plan is based on kicking through congestion, and kicking the ball 20 metres through congestion and moving the ball through the "'cluster/zones "'It dont work and it certainly didnt work sat night, hasnt work for 5 years .
Watch Geelong or any of the good sides kick into space to the advantage of team mates.
We kick into congestion only to have the ball turnovered.
The room for error when kicking into space and not in congested play isnt as critcial.
Can tell you this, every AFL can hit up a players from 20 metres, place 3 obstacles in his path and they fail.

I think you'll find that against Hawthorn there is simply no space to kick to adavantage, that's what the zone counteracts.

Wallace's gameplay against the zone was to try and go around it by quickly switching play to opposite sides of the ground kicking sidewards and backwards until the zone was pressed to one side of teh ground enough to then counter on the opposite side. It never worked just made us kick sidewards and backwards alot and waste energy leading in the middle of the ground and turn the ball over in defence.

Hardwick knows the weaknesses of the zone and is working with the plan to find the small 20m gaps to weave through it. Sydney to it perfectly and Hawthorn do it well when an oppostion zone against them.

If you go long against a zone press you'll kick to a 2on3 contest every time even if there is a space 40m ahead its impossible to create play that way against a zone.

We start to improve our 20-30m passing and start hitting targets in that range at a high percentage under pressure we get out hands on the ball more often and keep it for longer. Any team can run and carry the ball whilst counter attacking on a break, its how you do under pressure in congestion that we need work on and thus we're doing so.

For that reason I'm wrapped.
Go Tigers!

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2431 on: February 24, 2010, 10:33:24 PM »
I went down to watch training this morning. You've got to love the media for contorting what happens at training into what they want to report. More on that later.

Rehab group:
Griffiths - ran a number of laps. He didn't appear to have any noticeable injury so maybe they are just trying to get his fitness up after missing a fair bit of footy last year.

Nason - jogged a lap and then walked a couple more. He's got a compression bandage around the knee. He kicked the ball with the opposite leg so he can put his bodyweight on the crook leg.

Jacko and Kingy - did the same program together. Jogged a few laps, did some 30-50m sprinting and then did some kick to kick after the main squad had finished training.

As for those who had been in the rehab group - McGaune and Thursty trained fully so I'm presuming they'll play in our next practice match in Yea.

Onto training itself. The first drill had the squad split into groups of 3-4 players around various points of the ground where you had to kick to the advantage side of a teammate from another group. I was behind the Northern end goal so you passed from near the goal-line to someone else who was leading to the forward pocket. This player would then hit a lead to the HFF and that player would then pass inside back to the corridor and so on with a ball being kicked back to the someone in the first group by the goal to start again. Yeah the footpassing was average from the same old same olds who we know can't kick but any journo could have said the same thing over past years as well. Hardly a revelation. The media acting as though this was the first Richmond training session they had ever turned up to  :sleep.  

Most of the rest of the session had the squad split in defence (Southern end of the ground), midfield/rucks (far wing), and forwards (Northern end) groups. The forward group near me consisted off Jack (vocal as ever instructing the others), Morton, Nahas, Roberts, Hislop. I think Thomson was out there too but I could be wrong.

For the next drill each group did the same thing which was the retaining of possession with 20-30m chip passes while opponents applied defensive pressure that the media were talking about. Basically it was keepings off as there were no marks paid. It was always plan on. Each group had 3 guys trying to spoil or force a bad kick. Once a mistake was made those players involved became the chasers.

Next up the defence, midfield/ruck and forwards group performed drills specific to their position. So the forwards worked on defensive pressure and a rolling zone from an opponents kick-in. Jack was constantly talking and pointing fingers instructing the zone. Basically a kick-in would go to one pocket and the zone would push over and then the next kick would go back across to the other side and the zone would follow. The midfielders concentrated on stoppage work at ball-ups and tackling. Simmo, Vickery, Gus and Browne were all involved. Even Lade joined in. At one stage we had the coaches up against the mids at stoppages which was kind of funny. I'm not sure exactly sure what the backline group was doing. It looked like they were trying to loop long kicks over a teammate's head so they could mark without stopping.

And that was about it for most of the squad who went inside. The rucks stayed out along with Collins and a couple of other small mids to do more tap and stoppage work with Brendon Lade. Contin did about 10 minutes worth of reflex handballs with a trainer. Jacko and Kingy stayed out longer to do some sprinting work as I mentioned.

Photos to come later on. Any questions fire away  :cheers.

MT, there lies the problem.
Why do they practice kicking the ball 20-30 metres at training for ?????
Tell you what happens on match day, they try and kick the ball 20-30 metres.
You know my past history and I have watched all clubs for years, except Richmond, Can tell you that Geelong and others are successfull for a reason.

Jack we cant practise kicking long until we start hitting targets under pressure over 20-30 metres. Can't build the world in the day.

No, what they are trying to acheive is near impossible,
The game plan is based on kicking through congestion, and kicking the ball 20 metres through congestion and moving the ball through the "'cluster/zones "'It dont work and it certainly didnt work sat night, hasnt work for 5 years .
Watch Geelong or any of the good sides kick into space to the advantage of team mates.
We kick into congestion only to have the ball turnovered.
The room for error when kicking into space and not in congested play isnt as critcial.
Can tell you this, every AFL can hit up a players from 20 metres, place 3 obstacles in his path and they fail.

I think you'll find that against Hawthorn there is simply no space to kick to adavantage, that's what the zone counteracts.

Wallace's gameplay against the zone was to try and go around it by quickly switching play to opposite sides of the ground kicking sidewards and backwards until the zone was pressed to one side of teh ground enough to then counter on the opposite side. It never worked just made us kick sidewards and backwards alot and waste energy leading in the middle of the ground and turn the ball over in defence.

Hardwick knows the weaknesses of the zone and is working with the plan to find the small 20m gaps to weave through it. Sydney to it perfectly and Hawthorn do it well when an oppostion zone against them.

If you go long against a zone press you'll kick to a 2on3 contest every time even if there is a space 40m ahead its impossible to create play that way against a zone.

We start to improve our 20-30m passing and start hitting targets in that range at a high percentage under pressure we get out hands on the ball more often and keep it for longer. Any team can run and carry the ball whilst counter attacking on a break, its how you do under pressure in congestion that we need work on and thus we're doing so.

For that reason I'm wrapped.
To be fair Wallace coached a win against the Hawks in their Premiership winning season by kicking long over the zone and relying on our players to win the contested ball

tony_montana

« Reply #2432 on: February 24, 2010, 11:05:34 PM »
that is actually the most important factor in beating the zone, win the contested ball. If they're winning the ball and attacking first, they just setup behind the ball carrier so that when you do win back the ball they are ready. Adelaide perfected play against the zone last season and after geelong prob played it the best. Has to be a mixture of very quick sharp transitional play and PLENTY of overlap/options to confuse those in the zone downfield. Hence solid footskills over 20-30 metres will be required no compromises!
Unfortunately as a rule, our defensive unit as a whole has never really been known as a running/overlap type unit which is why we look so lost against zones. No linebreakers! hello newman/mcguane/moore/thursfield. We need the likes of tambling/connors/edwards/webberley/dea, even mcmahon! (clutcing at straws?) and other hard runners to have the balls to stand up defensively bc offensively these are the guys that have the game to take n and break the zone up. Newman needs to get out of the defensive zone, doesnt run hard enough. Players like mcmahon, edwards and webberley show they have the run but do they have the defensive qualities, must be able to shutdown, otherwise will get exposed like both mcmahon/King and edwards were last season

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2433 on: February 25, 2010, 08:26:02 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2434 on: March 01, 2010, 09:44:03 PM »
The Tigers will train at the following times this week:

- Tuesday 2 March, Punt Road Oval, 10am.

Con65

« Reply #2435 on: March 02, 2010, 02:40:20 PM »
any training reports for today?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2436 on: March 03, 2010, 12:59:02 AM »
any training reports for today?
I would've gone yesterday if I didn't still have the sniffles slightly. I'm hoping to go Friday fingers crossed.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline MikeetIGER

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2437 on: March 08, 2010, 08:31:11 PM »
@mightytiges; if you go to training this week could you look out for Astbury and see if he is training or in the rehab group?  Has missed the last 2 praccy matches and obviously the info was correct on him being injured.  Does anyone know if it is definately his heel?  Have heard somewhere else that it might be his calf.  Thanks in advance MT.

GO TIGES!!!

jackstar is back again

« Reply #2438 on: March 08, 2010, 09:27:13 PM »
@mightytiges; if you go to training this week could you look out for Astbury and see if he is training or in the rehab group?  Has missed the last 2 praccy matches and obviously the info was correct on him being injured.  Does anyone know if it is definately his heel?  Have heard somewhere else that it might be his calf.  Thanks in advance MT.

GO TIGES!!!

Heal, was injected last week, they will see where he is at this week,

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #2439 on: March 08, 2010, 09:53:55 PM »
Would anyone know when and where training is this coming Wednesday?

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #2440 on: March 08, 2010, 09:58:54 PM »

GO TIGES!!!

Heal, was injected last week, they will see where he is at this week,
Bit different to the old days Jack -when you cut an orange in half and put it in your boot-then went out to play

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2441 on: March 08, 2010, 11:54:44 PM »
The open training session is on Friday.

- Friday 12 March, Punt Road Oval, 11am.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #2442 on: March 09, 2010, 11:43:46 PM »
The open training session is on Friday.

- Friday 12 March, Punt Road Oval, 11am.

Thanks OE I may try to get to this session. :thumbsup

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #2443 on: March 11, 2010, 03:33:44 PM »
Some pics from Richmonds Facebook page

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator