Author Topic: Riley Collier-Dawkins [merged]  (Read 64331 times)

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Riley Collier-Dawkins [merged]
« Reply #285 on: April 04, 2022, 05:59:10 PM »
Some of our supporters are going after him for no good reason. He hasnt had a chance with a decent run of games and the sad part is when we should have given him games when the likes of cotchin edwards lambert were guring on all cylinders he didnt get a go. Now theyll bring him in, when alk the senior guys are basically done for and our supporters will can him for not being a saviour. We have killed some of our kids so the likes of Castagna and co. Can have their games. Its been disgraceful imho the management of our kids in development.

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #286 on: April 04, 2022, 06:05:36 PM »
If he got the same opportunities as Dimma has given his pets like Ross, Aarts, McIntosh, Castagna and Graham he'd be a lock in the senior team

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #287 on: April 04, 2022, 06:39:05 PM »
Sometimes there are players that don’t have a massive impact at VFL level but at the higher level do well.

I got a feeling RCD is one of them, we have nothing to lose giving him a 4-6 week crack at it

Agree
Very Interesting. Any examples anyone can think of this very strange rare phenomenon?
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #288 on: April 04, 2022, 06:55:13 PM »
Some of our supporters are going after him for no good reason. He hasnt had a chance with a decent run of games and the sad part is when we should have given him games when the likes of cotchin edwards lambert were guring on all cylinders he didnt get a go. Now theyll bring him in, when all the senior guys are basically done for and our supporters will can him for not being a saviour. We have killed some of our kids so the likes of Castagna and co. Can have their games. Its been disgraceful imho the management of our kids in development.
he clearly is not banging the door down or doing enough at VFL level to be given games ahead of Dow or Ross. If the coaches think he has done what’s asked of him and proven himself they will promote him. Dimma has never not given youngsters opportunities when warranted as we’ve seen in the past with Graham, D.Rioli, Townsend, Naish, Menedue, Markov, Gibcus. Stack etc.
And players that weren’t so young but deserved a gig ie. Lambert Caddy etc.

I agree though that since Covid the club has tightened the purse strings so much that development looks as though it’s gone backwards and resembling the Terry Wallace era.
The club needs to reinvest in the footy department especially recruiting and development
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #289 on: April 04, 2022, 08:11:51 PM »
He has class and poise but to be honest he's not the hardest worker going about and lacks intensity at times. I like his good attributes but I liked Ben Lennon's too
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #290 on: April 04, 2022, 08:57:14 PM »
My understanding is he has struggled after Covid and had a bad rib injury. He will be fine.. However, I do feel it's time to play these kids regardless as many of our seniors have simply checked out. We love them but a few of them should have just retired instead of taking the money while their efforts are off the AFL mark. I find it unfair when people question this kids work rate when serious questions need to be asked of many of our senior players on Sunday as it was in the last quarter against Carlton. The signs were clear last year but the interrupted preseason became the excuse...

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #291 on: April 04, 2022, 09:18:11 PM »
i think we give them an out as they delivered us 3 flags and a lot of joy. Well thats my view anyway.

Your point is sound.

Everyone talks about dusty's injury this that, but check out the games prior to that. He was average in plenty of them. If im being serious i knew after we got smashed in round 3 against the swans we were shot.

The biggest mistake the club made was not target ready made mids. I strongly believe had they of done that we may have come close this year or last.

we have nothing in that middle age bracket and we needed to find some to have any chance. RCD is no worse than playing half a dozen players who dont want to be there. Fact.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #292 on: April 04, 2022, 09:25:16 PM »
Not sure what Jack Ross has done to deserve all the defending.We don't want him on the outside kicking the ball we want him to get inside, hit opponents with tackles win some bloody clearances and win plenty of contested ball, things  he just has not delivered in and the excuses for him are wearing thin.

We need a big inside player and 31 games in Ross does not appear to be the answer. RCD may not be either but give him the opportunity to show what he can do as a mid with good game time, not the paltry 50 - 60 percent game time  he constantly gets.

Show some faith in the kids who are yet to be given a proper opportunity its time to find out one way or the other.

Not sure if people are serious when they say we have to be better inside and then defend Ross and Graham and insist we should not even have a look at RCD.Laughably they are alright with these two on the outside.
WE ARE BEING BELTED INSIDE AND WE JUST CANNOT KEEP ON DOING THE SAME THINGS WITH THE SAME PEOPLE IN THE SAME ROLES WEEK IN WEEK OUT. Ross and Graham are giving us very little here and the onus falls back onto the old ones to keep the side competetive and they clearly cannot carry the load anymore especially week in week out.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #293 on: April 04, 2022, 10:45:10 PM »
Who defends Jack Ross? Stop talking crap Claw.

He is the worst player I have seen since Jarrad Oakleigh-Nichols.

He should be delisted tomorrow, but he won’t be. What I find laughable is the club ran veterans into the ground as they expected Ross to deliver the goods on the inside or outside. Dow has shown more in a few games in his inside game than Ross.

Online crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #294 on: April 04, 2022, 11:16:44 PM »
Perhaps we have ran our senior mids into the ground that's a fair point.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #295 on: April 04, 2022, 11:40:20 PM »
I really believe we have. I can’t remember who it was but someone had mentioned this and they were 100% right.

We needed cotch to be number 4 by now not number 1 as he was last week against the gws.

Who fills the gaps between 1-4. This is our issue both in age and in quality. We blew our chance for another tilt with this group so now let’s play the kids.

How can we expect to win flags when our vfl is so bad. Successful
Teams have a successful vfl team. Blues Casey currently on top. When we won our flags so were we. Ditto box hill hawks.

Our era is over let’s work on the next one.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #296 on: April 05, 2022, 06:34:09 AM »
To be fair injuries and circumstance to the likes of dusty Prestia and lambert are playing a huge role in our demise. Should we be so reliant on dusty Prestia and lambert ? Probably not but that’s another discussion. I would think this year we start to see how our future midfield is going to look. RCD, sonsie, Bolton, Dow maybe ross if he can turn it around.
Gotta be in the market for a big fish midfielder this off season. Tom green come on down !

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #297 on: April 05, 2022, 06:38:36 AM »
Totally agree. I fear losses like the one to St Kilda are going to become the norm unless we start the rebuilding process. We need to give the younger players on the list opportunities now and the chance to develop. If we don't we are going to face dark times pretty soon.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #298 on: April 05, 2022, 10:15:52 AM »
Who defends Jack Ross? Stop talking crap Claw.

He is the worst player I have seen since Jarrad Oakleigh-Nichols.

He should be delisted tomorrow, but he won’t be. What I find laughable is the club ran veterans into the ground as they expected Ross to deliver the goods on the inside or outside. Dow has shown more in a few games in his inside game than Ross.

Sorry FJ was not really targeting posters here was having a go more at people on B/F many of whom think he is going great guns and go to extraoridinary lengths to defend badly under performing players.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #299 on: April 05, 2022, 01:09:58 PM »
To be fair injuries and circumstance to the likes of dusty Prestia and lambert are playing a huge role in our demise. Should we be so reliant on dusty Prestia and lambert ? Probably not but that’s another discussion. I would think this year we start to see how our future midfield is going to look. RCD, sonsie, Bolton, Dow maybe ross if he can turn it around.
Gotta be in the market for a big fish midfielder this off season. Tom green come on down !
I agree injuries dont help especially to our two best  clearance and contested ball players. Agree again  the reliance on the two has been huge.

The gaps in the list are easy to see they are easy to see in all clubs lists.  imo we have ignored them to a large degree.
Key fwds big ball winning mids  quality inside out mids,  to a lesser degree of urgency key defenders and goal kicking small/med/tall fwds.

For me the last draft was the back breaker in these areas. We did very little to address the most glaring ones.
How fortunate that Sonsie actually slipped all the way to us clearly he was not on their radar until he fell into their lap.

One big problem we have, ignoring this years crop which just makes the problem bigger anyway, is the disconnect between games played from  the 21  and unders juniors, flowing thru to the 22 to 24  age group development players,  to the mature players 24 to 28yrs and the vets 29plus.Failing to get games into the blokes who have been there now for 2 to 5 years just exacerbates this.
RCD falls into this area of concern.

Also the quality and small number of players in the 25 to 28 group  mature players in their prime is a huge worry.
We have just 9 players in this group amongst them Aarts, Parker, Castagna, McIntosh  who lets be honest you could take or leave em imo they are players we need to upgrade on even if its a small upgrade on each of them.

It only leaves broady at 28yrs, Nankervis, Vlastuin ,Soldo who imo is servicable but wanting in areas. And Short who is servicable but purely outside and i would lump him with the other 4 in the fact that we could look for an upgrade find  someone a bit more rounded.

Now that the older heads are struggling this is really the group that should be stepping up and leading the way. Imo only Broad and nank have come to the party and Vlastuin has been injured. Imo this  group is  small in number and with too many ordinary players is not going to lead us to another flag. here lies one of the real problems.

While winning games made it difficult to play the younger group  i dont think we did it well enough. We persevered with players who were obvious candidates for upgrade and it is biting us.
Now that we are sure we won't win the flag and are indeed in decline  there are no more excuses to not start playing younger  options. It has become super important to start the changing of the guard. Its become super important to close that games played gap from the juniors development players to the rest

We were always a very good team at winning the ball back getting it fwd and locking it in. Have long held the belief of how much better would we have been if we didnt have to win it back so much  and how much easier for us it would  have been. Lots of things have transpired now that makes hands on ball first paramount and we have never been right up there in this. Losing Prestia is a blow but we really should of had players available to cover the inside role other than Ross who imo may not make it and Collier-Dawkins.That is one shallow basket.

The other criticism is even well before 2017 our succession planning has not been great in key areas. this is really coming home to roost after a successful period.

I actually believe the thinking has been rather than  take the bigger punt on bigger players that take longer to develop anyway, we take the safer punt on  small player who will develop a hell of a lot quicker and is more likely to offer something especially early. Imo this is what we have done with RCD and continue to do, we have found reasons not to play him which has allowed Hardwick to stick with a pile of ordinary players. Its now laughable that we continue to play Aarts in particular rather than give RCD a decent block of games with decent game time to try and address inside issues.

Why play a bigger bloke who offers little when you can play a small who will give something and compete. Nothing wrong with that at all especially if the bigger blokes have shown they are not up to it.
 Thats what we did in 2017 none of the tall fwds we had were ready or good enough not that we had many so went with players like Townsend Caddy Rioli Castagna and Butler with just Jack.
 It was never going to be sustainable hence we got Lynch but from 2017 did we even look at a GENUINE tall fwd only Balta and even then we hedged our bets imo. Before Balta you had to go all the way back to 2014 to find a key forward we actually took in the nd that was McKenzie with pick 77 thats some investment in key forwards not.

Imo  we failed to a large degree to develop or even take bigger players across all parts of the ground with decent picks imo. Putting too few eggs in too few baskets. I think RCD and Ross are evidence of this they took the two in 2018 the only two big mids we have drafted for yrs and said to themselves we now have it covered and put the que in the rack.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 01:28:57 PM by the claw »