Author Topic: Amazing stat sums up Tigers’ season (H-Sun) / 41 Tigers used (most in AFL)  (Read 707 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Amazing stat sums up Tigers’ season
Al Paton, Herald Sun

RICHMOND has had a terrible year but it can claim to be No. 1 in the AFL in one category.

By naming promoted rookie Mabior Chol for his AFL debut against Sydney in Round 23, the Tigers are set to play 41 different players this season — the most in the AFL.

Richmond, Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast have all used a league-high 40 players entering the final round, but neither of the Queensland clubs has selected a debutant this weekend.

It’s a remarkable figure for a team that was thought to be in top-four contention and 12 more than the Adelaide Crows.

The Tigers have played every player on their list apart from Chris Yarran (out indefinitely), Ivan Soldo (a category B rookie who played his first ever game of football in 2014) and young forward Dan Butler.

TEAM    PLAYERS USED
Richmond    40
Brisbane     40
Gold Coast    40
Collingwood    39
Essendon    39
W.Bulldogs    39
Fremantle    38
Melbourne    37
West Coast    35
GWS Giants    35
Hawthorn    35
Carlton    35
Port Adelaide    35
St Kilda    34
Sydney    34
North Melb.    34
Geelong    33
Adelaide    29

* numbers before Round 23

Butler, who was recruited with pick 67 in the 2014 draft but lost most of his first season to knee injuries, has been an emergency several times this season.

He is again this weekend, raising the prospect of a late change to add another number to the “players used” column. But that won’t happen barring extreme circumstances, with the Tigers flying only Connor Menadue to Sydney as a back-up.
Dan Butler (right) can consider himself unlucky not to play AFL footy this year. Picture: Carmelo Bazzano

The 41 players used is the most by Richmond since 2010, Damien Hardwick’s first year in charge, when Troy Taylor, David Gourdis and Relton Roberts all saw senior action.

From 2011-15 Hardwick used between 36-38 players as the Tigers reached three consecutive elimination finals.

This year he has heeded the call to “play the kids”, delivering numbers not previously seen since the early 1990s; the last time Richmond used more than 41 players before 2010 was 1986.

Four Tigers — Jack Riewoldt, Dustin Martin, Brandon Ellis and Sam Lloyd — have played every game.

Among the players tried at senior level are Liam McBean (three games), Andrew Moore (four), Callum Moore (one), Todd Elton (one) and Nathan Broad (two).

Chol is Richmond’s eighth debutant in 2016, the second-highest figure in the AFL behind Brisbane (nine).

Geelong, North Melbourne, St Kilda and West Coast have blooded just two first-gamers this year, the fewest in the comp.

The league-leading stat gives Hardwick some defence over the team’s performance this year, and some intel to make what are expected to be sweeping list changes at season’s end.

RICHMOND PLAYERS USED    
2016    40
2015    38
2014    36
2013    36
2012    37
2011    37
2010    42
1986    43

— stats supplied by Champion Data

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-has-used-more-players-this-season-than-any-other-club/news-story/809fe26fb7a41718a7f4431643a4fb28
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 04:28:29 AM by one-eyed »

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Will make for a perfect excuse over the pre-season :clapping

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame

Yep. And this is exactly the problem, fabricated change by a disengenous leadership team who are supporting each other at Tugerland.
The actual list - with a few glaring exceptions - isn't the main problem at Richmond.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Out:
Hardwick
Lade
Mark Willimas x 2
Mellor

Move On:
Marcon
McBean
McKenzie
Chaplin
Maric
A. Moore

Trade:
Vickery
B. Ellis
Batchelor
Conca
Lennon
Edwards

Lucky they are contracted:
Hampson
Hunt
Morris
Houli
Grigg

The above is just a start - we are in a world of pain because none of it will happen :banghead

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
I think bar McBean and Lennon (actually don't really care for McBean) no one could argue with that. Oh and the cream and co. who advocate for Marcon but that doesn't count

tony_montana

Yep. And this is exactly the problem, fabricated change by a disengenous leadership team who are supporting each other at Tugerland.
The actual list - with a few glaring exceptions - isn't the main problem at Richmond.

spot on both of you  :clapping