Author Topic: Should the AFL bring back Form 4s  (Read 2125 times)

PuntRdRoar

Should the AFL bring back Form 4s
« on: July 07, 2005, 05:48:02 PM »
Just remembering how at one stage Richmond had Rioli and Aish signed up on form 4s. Do you guys  reckon we'll ever get back to having every club being able to have atleast 1 form 4 player. I say it coz i just reckon that the draft one day will get busted on restraint of trade and allowing each club 1 form 4 may mean the draft doesnt get challenged. Basically it would mean the first round of each national draft would become non existant as the top 16 players would be signed via free agency!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Should the AFL bring back Form 4s
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2005, 05:52:20 PM »
I can't see it happening RT.

It would defeat the purpose of trying to keep the competition even because you would be back to the days of the big powerful teams buying the best kids available while the the smaller less financial teams wouldn't be able to compete.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 06:22:08 PM »
Deledio and Tambling wouldn't be at Richmond if that was the case. We were/are in no position financially to bid for the top youngsters. As WP mentioned it would return the comp to the days of chequebook recruiting :help.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Piping Shrike

• Premiership Captain
  • Nothing today
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 09:07:19 AM »
Personally I preferred Form 5 to Form 4, that extra year made it easier to get into pubs. Not sure that the Aish experience is a good example here - showed the risk of that approach.