Author Topic: Should Newman have gotten another year on his contract?  (Read 823 times)

Online tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Should Newman have gotten another year on his contract?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 07:37:22 PM »
Maybe internally they see the need for a good bloke to be around the club with veteran stature and respect.  Maybe all our other aged players are not good enough blokes.  I dont know but from the outside he seems average and old. You would hope he gets overtaken by a kid for basically the whole year next year.  I would rather find a new kid but maybe its personality dynamics that keep him on the list. 

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 07:59:05 PM »
Maybe internally they see the need for a good bloke to be around the club with veteran stature and respect.  Maybe all our other aged players are not good enough blokes.  I dont know but from the outside he seems average and old. You would hope he gets overtaken by a kid for basically the whole year next year.  I would rather find a new kid but maybe its personality dynamics that keep him on the list.

He was average and old about three years ago

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 08:09:30 PM »
no

hardwick has no idea

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 08:11:24 PM »
 Very surprised. Clearly washed up.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 08:12:57 PM »
Absolutely, his influence has been telling in the last 8 weeks with grimesy benefitting big time from his experience  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Gigantor

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 08:13:33 PM »
to be honest I dont  really mind chris getting another year.you can never have enough leadership at the club

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 08:20:50 PM »

Lol. Maybe.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 08:25:10 PM »
Newy is revered in football circles, believe  you me  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Online tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014, 08:54:51 PM »
When you look at the older blokes on the list you go down agewise to Maric Chapman Jackson Riewoldt and Lids. Im ignoring a couple who dont make seniors regularly.   Maybe they thought they needed the social grease that these guys might not be able to provide.  Im just chucking it out there, holding 44 professional footballers egos in check isnt an easy task.
And if he plays 6 games and is cheap because hes on the veterans list then....like I said before I thought he was done as a footballer but maybe more came into the equation than kicking skills. 

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2014, 08:59:23 PM »
But how dies that stack up against the negatives?
Caracella and Balmey.

tony_montana

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 09:43:48 PM »
to be honest I dont  really mind chris getting another year.you can never have enough leadership at the club

What leadership would that be G? biggest passenger of a senior player going around, never ever stands up when the game is at its hottest.

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 09:52:25 PM »
I don't mean to disrespect Newman, he is a 4 year captain of the club and should receive his due accolades.
But it has to be said, the game has passed him by. An incorrect decision by both parties. History says he will retire early because:
-Newman will realise it will be very difficult to get himself up mentally and physically for VFL games with 2 men and dog and a coating of icy cold dew
-He will crack it for a game in the seniors the moment the first defender goes down so the club doesn't look silly for re-signing him.
-He will go down with a soft tissue injury himself 2nd or 3rd game back
-Then he will come back through the reserves for 2 games, and will either;

a) go down with another injury in the reserves or
b) play a couple in the reserves and realise he is nowhere near senior selection except for a charity game or
c) realise that none of the kids coming through the reserves listen to cool bands like Pearl Jam or Muse or
d) all of the above
Either way his career will be over by Round 11. It's in the script. I know how it ends. Have seen this movie before.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 11:42:19 PM »
I don't mean to disrespect Newman, he is a 4 year captain of the club and should receive his due accolades.
But it has to be said, the game has passed him by. An incorrect decision by both parties. History says he will retire early because:
-Newman will realise it will be very difficult to get himself up mentally and physically for VFL games with 2 men and dog and a coating of icy cold dew
-He will crack it for a game in the seniors the moment the first defender goes down so the club doesn't look silly for re-signing him.
-He will go down with a soft tissue injury himself 2nd or 3rd game back
-Then he will come back through the reserves for 2 games, and will either;

a) go down with another injury in the reserves or
b) play a couple in the reserves and realise he is nowhere near senior selection except for a charity game or
c) realise that none of the kids coming through the reserves listen to cool bands like Pearl Jam or Muse or
d) all of the above
Either way his career will be over by Round 11. It's in the script. I know how it ends. Have seen this movie before.

I don't believe this scenario because he already has come back injured and he went straight into the team, didn't have to play reserves and it didn't take him 2 games to do another injury. If he does another injury I bet the club will let him be a walk up start as soon as he's ready

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2014, 09:22:23 AM »
Absolutely, his influence has been telling in the last 8 weeks with grimesy benefitting big time from his experience  :shh

Plus mcdonuts said he enjoys playing twos and Lennon thinks the sub is quite nice

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2014, 12:52:34 PM »
This news is harder to take today...

stuffn dud
Caracella and Balmey.