Author Topic: ten year, ten million dollar lance deal  (Read 14615 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: ten year, ten million dollar lance deal
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2015, 02:19:32 PM »
Yeah, on that front you pretty well qualified
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2015, 02:49:34 PM »

just got to love it when someone makes a claim but expects you to do the research to back up their claims

Welcome to the world of Academia.  :thumbsup
But its pretty commonly accepted knowledge. If I were to claim climate change exists or smoking causes cancer, would you expect me to site a particular article???

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2015, 05:21:12 PM »
welcome to the world of academia?
what a pretentious self indulgent thing to say, but then again that is pretty much the world of academia, or those that see such a world.

and no it is not common accepted knowledge, nor is common accepted knowledge necessarily the truth. remember once common accepted knowledge was that the world was flat?

Michael chrichton summed it up perfectly

Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled. Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you're being had.

As for if climate change exists, well only the most ignorant argue if it exists. Fossil record show us that the earths climate has changed over time, the debate is how much man influences the rate. If you have conclusive proof on that I'd love to see it, as all ive seen so far is evidence suggesting it likely.

smoking and cancer, well i have seen studies as well as understand why it is so. Luckily for us these studies were made before big business took control of scientific studies that can influence their bottom line.

your claim is one i have never seen or heard, and if there is as much evidence proving such why are you so recalcitrant in producing it?

That is how things work ( or should) in the world of science, if you make a claim you produce the evidence to back up your claim. Im assuming that is different to world of academia, where it seems you make a claim and then try to make out you are better than any one that questions what you say?

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2015, 08:42:33 PM »
Yeah, on that front you pretty well qualified

:clapping
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2015, 01:34:11 AM »

care to point out some of these articles .
in my experience the fall back to blame gentics often means "I havent a clue and blaming genetics is a good cop out"

Want me to see if I can dig up some info I should have on alcohol abuse and genetics?

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2015, 07:15:15 AM »
It's Friday and I'm gearing up to abuse some alcohol

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2015, 08:22:52 AM »

in my experience the fall back to blame gentics often means "I havent a clue and blaming genetics is a good cop out"

Want me to see if I can dig up some info I should have on alcohol abuse and genetics?
yeah if you want, i have heard that before though, but as far as i know there has been no identification of the genome responsible. some people even claim that obesity is also genetics based due to so many fat parents having fat children, yet they never put forward why environment/diet is discounted.

i did have info on links between low cholesterol levels , as well as  low fat diets and depression/substance abuse which showed a pretty strong correlation.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2015, 01:03:31 PM »
oh the old genetc bs.
where did you dredge that up from?
3 Years of tertiary study on the subject as well as every scholarly article ever written on it ever (with perhaps a touch of hyperbole). Or the direct inverse relationship between happiness and wealth  :P

and since you are so wizened on such things, how do diseases that are due to genetics have and increasing rate ( not just numbers, but rate)
Due to the fact people are living longer because of better hygiene, blood pressure control, Blood glucose control (even if diabetes is on the rise), cholesterol control etc etc, they are more likely to eventually present with diseases that are genetically based. We actually understand that just about all diseases are genetic based although environmental factors can trigger these in many individuals. We may not know which particular genome controls the disease in many of these but there is a wealth of evidence displaying that there is a link. Even things like alcohol addiction has been shown to have a genetic link. Blood relatives that aren't in the same environment have displayed similarities in behavioural addiction patterns. It is actually quite fascinating. Some people are just more likely to be drawn into situations where an unfavourable environment will affect them negatively. Whether this is genetic or environmental or most likely a combination of the two, nobody yet knows. We have good studies on separated identical twins displaying that even intelligence is genetic with twins scoring identical results in tests despite having very different environments.
It really is a very interesting area. :thumbsup
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2015, 03:45:49 PM »
welcome to the world of academia?
what a pretentious self indulgent thing to say, but then again that is pretty much the world of academia, or those that see such a world.

and no it is not common accepted knowledge, nor is common accepted knowledge necessarily the truth. remember once common accepted knowledge was that the world was flat?

Michael chrichton summed it up perfectly

Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled. Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you're being had.

As for if climate change exists, well only the most ignorant argue if it exists. Fossil record show us that the earths climate has changed over time, the debate is how much man influences the rate. If you have conclusive proof on that I'd love to see it, as all ive seen so far is evidence suggesting it likely.

smoking and cancer, well i have seen studies as well as understand why it is so. Luckily for us these studies were made before big business took control of scientific studies that can influence their bottom line.

your claim is one i have never seen or heard, and if there is as much evidence proving such why are you so recalcitrant in producing it?

That is how things work ( or should) in the world of science, if you make a claim you produce the evidence to back up your claim. Im assuming that is different to world of academia, where it seems you make a claim and then try to make out you are better than any one that questions what you say?

You know what, I'll give you the pretentious; it was a smug thing to say, but unfortunately you really made my point for me.

You rationalised questioning a scientific fact by quoting the bloke that wrote Jurassic Park (and the quote VERBATIM has grammatical errors). Admittedly, there is logic to the notion of always questioning the status quo, but scientific fact is the strongest form of evidence you'll find.

Find me any peer reviewed study/journal article that supports your thesis and I'll concede here. THAT was my exact point with regards to academic research and scientific knowledge. Even a case study would stand as sufficient in making your point. But Michael Chrichton??? Champ, you're outta your league here.

:thumbsup :thumbsup

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2015, 03:57:52 PM »
For the record, here are some ripping sources

Conrad, Peter Genetic Optimism: Framing Genes and Mental Illness in the news,pg 225-247; June 2001, Culture Medicine and Psychiatry, Volume 25 (Issue 2)

And you could try

Jamison, Kay Redfield  Genetics and mental illness : evolving issues for research and society (Laura Lee Hall); Chapter 6 Ch. 6. Manic-Depressive Illness, Genes, and Creativity / c1996, Plenum, New York. [Peer Reviewed]

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2015, 04:10:38 PM »
geez that wasnt hard, why didnt you just do that to start with instead of filling the world with more pollution?

WTF is this thesis of mine you mention in that unintellagable ramblings of a madman you posted?

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2015, 04:17:22 PM »
oh the old genetc bs.
where did you dredge that up from?
3 Years of tertiary study on the subject as well as every scholarly article ever written on it ever (with perhaps a touch of hyperbole). Or the direct inverse relationship between happiness and wealth  :P

and since you are so wizened on such things, how do diseases that are due to genetics have and increasing rate ( not just numbers, but rate)
Due to the fact people are living longer because of better hygiene, blood pressure control, Blood glucose control (even if diabetes is on the rise), cholesterol control etc etc, they are more likely to eventually present with diseases that are genetically based. We actually understand that just about all diseases are genetic based although environmental factors can trigger these in many individuals. We may not know which particular genome controls the disease in many of these but there is a wealth of evidence displaying that there is a link. Even things like alcohol addiction has been shown to have a genetic link. Blood relatives that aren't in the same environment have displayed similarities in behavioural addiction patterns. It is actually quite fascinating. Some people are just more likely to be drawn into situations where an unfavourable environment will affect them negatively. Whether this is genetic or environmental or most likely a combination of the two, nobody yet knows. We have good studies on separated identical twins displaying that even intelligence is genetic with twins scoring identical results in tests despite having very different environments.
It really is a very interesting area. :thumbsup

Naturally there some people with have more of a genetic disposition that others to suffer certain ilnesses, just as some people have a genetic disposition to run faster or put on muscle masss than others.

This still doesent count for the increase in certain diseases, nor does your explanations of living longer etc.

It's all too easy to just blame genetics than actually find out why, which then justifies the endless search for cures, which makes money for someone, rather than prevention, which doesnt unless immunisation is involved

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2015, 04:26:53 PM »

Conrad, Peter Genetic Optimism: Framing Genes and Mental Illness in the news,pg 225-247; June 2001, Culture Medicine and Psychiatry, Volume 25 (Issue 2)

And you could try

Jamison, Kay Redfield  Genetics and mental illness : evolving issues for research and society (Laura Lee Hall); Chapter 6 Ch. 6. Manic-Depressive Illness, Genes, and Creativity / c1996, Plenum, New York. [Peer Reviewed]

are you stuffing for real?
the first article is a paper about news coverage on the subject
This paper examines the news coverage of genetics and mental illness

lmao and here i was thinking you would provide peer reviewed articles that would at least discern between causal and association.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2015, 04:38:19 PM »

And you could try

are you stuffing for real?
the first article is a paper about news coverage on the subject
This paper examines the news coverage of genetics and mental illness

lmao and here i was thinking you would provide peer reviewed articles that would at least discern between causal and association.

I would have thought given the subject, media coverage would prove as prime subject matter.

BTW

Thesis; noun; a statement or theory that is put forward as a premise to be maintained or proved.

Shattered you found my post unintelligible rambling. Coherency and conciseness is my aim when posting, whether it be on OER or writing a 15,000 thesis.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2015, 04:42:32 PM »
you keep trying to make out you are some great academic in the world of medicine, but then produce this
I would have thought given the subject, media coverage would prove as prime subject matter.

which now has me concerned for our future...more concerned to be truthful.

i know what a thesis is, but what exactly are you referring to?