Author Topic: 2015 Playing List  (Read 3472 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: 2015 Playing List
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 09:52:55 AM »
Reckon Gordon would have a 2 year contract so he isn't going anywhere
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 10:12:24 AM »
Only one year after this one though.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 10:31:49 AM »

Yep which means he will be on our list in 2015, so isn't going anywhere in 2015

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 11:48:39 AM »

Yep which means he will be on our list in 2015, so isn't going anywhere in 2015
Maybe we can trade him back to Sydney for a third to second round upgrade.. ;D

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 01:22:10 PM »
I dont know why your keeping Gordon and dumping Foley and Knights.  If Knights knee doesn't come good, sure dump him but if it does then I'd keep him.

Gordon did have his chances and got dropped cos he couldn't get the ball, I concede Foley may be past it, he is 29.

I don't rate Gordon, but getting rid of a fit 25 year-old after one season to keep injury prone 29 & 30 year-olds way past their best would be downright idiotic and is exactly that kind of boneheaded list management that holds us back.
if gordon is looked upon as a half fwd id keep 30yo  azza edwards in front of him. why keep less talented worse perfoming players just because they are a bit younger.
if given the opportunity over again to get chapman and it was a choice between him  or gordon id take  32 yr old chapman thanks.
iweather knights works out for us or not, im happy with us taking him and taking a punt that he would get an injury free run. the bloke can play and bloody didnt cost us pick 50 in the nd.

we used pick 50 on 24 yr old gordon when we most likely could have rookied him. that is where he should have been taken.
if you dont rate gordon and hes no good why hang onto him at all. cut the losses and move on.why treat him different to the better performed older players.

I'd rather get rid of them all and I agree we paid overs....but I'll still take the younger dud who can still be turned into servicable depth over the an injury prone near 30 year old on 300 k a year. Gordon also at least has a bit of pace which is another thing we desperately lack.

As for A. Edwards....he had two main assets...his marking and his conversion in front of goal and now he doesn't even have the latter, that he might be a better option than Vickery right now has stuff all to do with Gordon. ...and I wouldn't have taken Chapman either as it's only a matter of time before he breaks down too. Taking blokes with noted injury problems is stupid as is hanging on to them forever. Taking older blokes with injury problems is even stupider.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

the claw

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 04:45:33 PM »
please tell over the yrs what injuries has chapman had that makes him injury prone. that is just a furphy. hes had one long term injury in his career since 2003 and hes injury prone, that is laughable. chris knights has been ijury prone chapman has been remarkably durable.
we went and got lloyd and gordon plus lennon to help fix a mid/fwd deficiency yet chaplin kills em in every single area of the game. why not chapman for two yrs and have lennon learn from him.

you see this is where we differ. while my main aim is to build the list long term with kids thru the nd in the short term im happy to improve the overall standard of the list with any player who can play and improves us regardless of age. i prefer to do it with state league players but solid players from other clubs should not be ignoored just because theyy arent a kid.
.at least with chapman we get a quality player and we get at least two yrs good service out of him,  at 300k with his quality hes cheap.

i dont get it you still prefer to take a young dud who we will cut in two yrs anyway  over a proven quality player who is most likely to give you two yrs of good service and quality football.
mate a young dud is a young dud they arent depth if they cant play. if they cant play what good is their pace. again chapman cost nothing bar a very fair salary.if we gave up pick 32 for him like we did hampson id be hopping mad.

azza edwards is the best performed fwd we have had outside of riewoldt when hes played yep that just my opinion.
 he has heaps to do with gordon, both are considered fwd options gordon was taken on the back of his fwd form.azza edwards poos all over him as a fwd.

i whole heartedly disagree. we had either 195cm -200cm fwds ot runts like king and nahas and only 19 yr old ohanlon as a type remotely like azza edwards. the way i see it edwards gave us a type of player we didnt have bar the the very raw ohanlon  and gave time to ohanlon to develop. isnt that the process we want.

again edwards has been servicable imo, that pick 79 we used to get him at the last minute would never have been used,  if it was it would have gone on a kid who most likely would have taken a spot on the list for two yrs never played a game struggled to bulk up had a shedload of deficiencies that were insurmountable and got cut after two yrs. bud this is the norm for such late nd and rookie picks.
you may think it a poor thing to do but all i can see is a damn good process which cost us virtually nothing. azza edwards and chapman if we had got him filled a list need in the short term.
in fact the processes we have gone thru to get mature players has been good  and that beside the players taken or the number. we have taken poor players and too many no argument.

no disrespect but it seems to me your a little blinkered when it comes to the need for both mature players and kids.  you dont believe in short term fixes where as i think its fine as long as we look after the kids in the nd side of it first and it addresses a need and allows juniors time to develop.

i keep on saying it. taking mature players is not the problem, taking poor mature players is. but that applies equally to kids as well.
you need balance not all of one or all of the other. we ignore mature players to our own detriment.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 06:08:13 PM »
Chapman missed at least 6 weeks (could have been longer) last season with a very serious hamstring injury. Think you'll find he had hammy or calf problems the previous season as well

Was one of the reasons why the Cats didn't offer him a new contract

the claw

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 07:21:08 PM »
Chapman missed at least 6 weeks (could have been longer) last season with a very serious hamstring injury. Think you'll find he had hammy or calf problems the previous season as well

do your homework  .
22, 25, 19,22,19,19,20,24,23,21, 8 last yr,and 8 out of 10 this yr hardly the record of an injury prone player. since 2003 the only yr hes missed a significant amount of games was last yr.
hes been suspended a few times as well which impacts those numbers.
the yr before last he played 21 games. from 03 to the start of last yr he ave 21.4 games a yr. id take that every day of the week.

imo geelong people created this myth to help justify cutting a bloke who was still performing at an elite level.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2014, 07:36:55 PM »
I agree with claw. He really wasn't injury prone. Even if he was, he brings winning culture to the club. Something that we need desperately.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2014, 07:52:01 PM »
Cats probably regret the Chapman decision but they needed to get some games into their younger brigade in fear of bottoming out with a core group. They turned over their list pretty well.

My argument for playing younger players is the basic philosophy of creating a premiership list. We get absolutely no where by having Aaron Edwards on the list. Absolutely no where. Why keep him next year ahead of Gordon? Aaron Edwards can't possibly be playing in 2 years time at AFL level, there is debate whether he is currently good enough now. 2 years on he will be long finished. Gordon who may not reach the mediocre heights of Edwards atleast has a chance to break out / to click into gear with some pre seasons and experience. You never know.

There is a 5% chance that Gordon will turn into an A Grade player that is part of our next premiership team. There is 0% chance Aaron Edwards will be apart of it. Why on earth is he on our list then? To be depth for a mid table club at best. Awful list management.

Same with Petterd, Same with Stephenson, Same with Hampson, Same with Thompson, Same with Banfield, Same with Knights. Why is our depth filled with average players post 25? Surely our depth is meant for the future? Guys like Foley, Newman can mentor the kids in the 2s under a VFL contract if we want some mentoring in the 2nds, not on an AFL list.
Go Tigers!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2014, 08:28:13 PM »

do your homework  .
22, 25, 19,22,19,19,20,24,23,21, 8 last yr,and 8 out of 10 this yr hardly the record of an injury prone player. since 2003 the only yr hes missed a significant amount of games was last yr.
hes been suspended a few times as well which impacts those numbers.
the yr before last he played 21 games. from 03 to the start of last yr he ave 21.4 games a yr. id take that every day of the week.

imo geelong people created this myth to help justify cutting a bloke who was still performing at an elite level.

Did I say he was injury prone, just gave some stats regarding his lady 2 seasons at Geelong and why they didn't give him another contract. Personally couldn't care less.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2014, 11:04:26 PM »
I wouldn't keep anyone who is above 26 years of age unless they are in our top 15 players.

Petterd, Edwards, Banfield etc were drafted for depth, yet our moronic coach says we will stick with our best 22 and wait till they perform.

When other clubs are unearthing players like Hartung, Langford, Langdon, Cameron, Shelton etc, all from deep into the draft or in the rookie drafts. While our rookie list is the AFL's superannuation plan...

I also favour this method

The people in question are

Pettard
Houli
Grigg
Hampson
Thomas
Knights
Jackson
Chaplin
Foley
King
AEdwards
Orren
Newman.

Deledio and Maric would be in the category you would keep and try build around. I would look at retaining Foley and perhaps Knights to add some experience.

Sadly a dozen changes is hard to do over the course of a single off season and be replaced by quality. Over a two year period is more realistic. In the mean time it's important to see which half of that group you can get something out of for 12 months in the seniors or twos

M concern is the current coaching group think we will win a premiership with the players in this lot. 

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2014, 01:47:35 PM »

No. 19 – Matt Thomas
No. 29 – Tyrone Vickery (Trade to upgrade a 2nd rounder to a mid 1st rounder)

I'd be happy to leave Thomas on the rookie list BUT would rather he be used as depth like he was meant to be, not a walk up start like he has been  ::). On Vickery that trade would be a bit disappointing considering we used pick 8 on him, although I don't think we could do much better :-\.
Other than that I agree with your list

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2014, 01:54:18 PM »
The RFC, where every **%# gets 3 year contracts

Except Matt White

the claw

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2014, 03:50:02 PM »
Cats probably regret the Chapman decision but they needed to get some games into their younger brigade in fear of bottoming out with a core group. They turned over their list pretty well.

My argument for playing younger players is the basic philosophy of creating a premiership list. We get absolutely no where by having Aaron Edwards on the list. Absolutely no where. Why keep him next year ahead of Gordon? Aaron Edwards can't possibly be playing in 2 years time at AFL level, there is debate whether he is currently good enough now. 2 years on he will be long finished. Gordon who may not reach the mediocre heights of Edwards atleast has a chance to break out / to click into gear with some pre seasons and experience. You never know.

There is a 5% chance that Gordon will turn into an A Grade player that is part of our next premiership team. There is 0% chance Aaron Edwards will be apart of it. Why on earth is he on our list then? To be depth for a mid table club at best. Awful list management.

Same with Petterd, Same with Stephenson, Same with Hampson, Same with Thompson, Same with Banfield, Same with Knights. Why is our depth filled with average players post 25? Surely our depth is meant for the future? Guys like Foley, Newman can mentor the kids in the 2s under a VFL contract if we want some mentoring in the 2nds, not on an AFL list.
at the end of the day we are not really that far apart. i firmly believe you build for the long term with nd picks you find your long term quality players with these picks . im all for useing plenty of em and have constantly argued this. so we agree.
look at last yr i wanted us to use picks 12 32 50 66 and 78 on kids. i was even prepared to trade 12 for longer a kid himself  and 25.
thing is i wanted us to take laidler and chapman as f/as as well.why because there is always a place for good solid players on your list regardless of age. i wanted us to use a rookie pick on sully and cameron. one mature one a junior. do it right and you can take mature players to add depth and immediately fill holes. ive desperately over recent yrs wanted us to target more of the state league players but not at the expense of juniors.  i argued all od gordon, lloyd and miles should have been rookie listed. i argued petterd should never have been promoted of the rookie list freeing up a nd pick for a kid.
lists are things that evolve and grow. the player who fills a hole and performs a role for you today may not  be needed in two yrs time. taking mature players is a legitimate way of growing your list and should not be ignored. taking mature players is not a long  term solution it is a short to medium term fix.

me ive argued we take our fair share  of mature players 22 plus yr olds  with late nd picks,  psd, or rookie picks.  about  50% mature 50% juniors. ive wanted this done with mainly state league picks.
why here why so late.  mainly because all the stats tell us for nearly all clubs,  very few kids go on to even play a game with these types of picks. clubs have em for two yrs and they dont even get a game out of em.
the other reason is i believe there is a good chance of finding a good player a decent role player  in the state leagues and  stats bear this out, again what you get from these players compared to kids is chalk and cheese. there are a lot of players in state leagues who are better players than those currently on lists and it is remiss of every club to ignore em.

lastly what did edwards bring.
he bought a type of player we did not have bar 19yo brett ohanlon. he was always going to be a short term fix he was always buying ohanlon some time.
he cost us a  small salary and a pick in the nd we were not going to use. there was nothing wong with taking edwards.
 edwards is no slouch he is a decent player imo.hence why i was happy to get him for the short term .

if ohanlon shows enough improvment and with the drafting of lennon for sure cut azza. ive already advocated that,  he was taken as a short term fix to allow  some time and perform a role he was type we didnt have.
its harsh but hes served a purpose and performrd a role.i personally dont think we have played him enough to perform that role.  but i agree it is time to move on.
me ive advocated we draft a player similar to jack gunston to replace edwards.

on knights again i have no problems. he didnt cost a pick hes got real talent and he can actually play thats my opinion. the risk was always his injury history. he was taken as a 26yo. dunno if you looked at the time or even now but the list screamed out for and still screams out for improvement in mids and sml/med fwds.

as for most of the other mature hacks they have taken, well just far too many, no balance for me, and most had such obvious and chronic weaknesses in their games it was laughable we would even look at em.

anyway we will have to disagree when it comes to mature players.  im all for kids but i really believe we can and should take our quota of mature players especially in f/a or late nd rookie draft.