Author Topic: Jason Castagna [merged]  (Read 148077 times)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Re: Jason Castagna [merged]
« Reply #510 on: August 16, 2020, 11:13:07 AM »
Like Rioli a shadow of his former self unfortunately he still can’t kick and he still makes terrible decisions. He will be known as the guy that should’ve kicked 5 or more in the final could’ve been norm smith medalist but instead he kicked 0.5 and two out on the full.  :rollin
Sums up his career so far.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #511 on: August 16, 2020, 11:40:30 AM »
Like Rioli a shadow of his former self unfortunately he still can’t kick and he still makes terrible decisions. He will be known as the guy that should’ve kicked 5 or more in the final could’ve been norm smith medalist but instead he kicked 0.5 and two out on the full.  :rollin
He had his worst game in 3 years last week and an average one the week before that, but before that he has been our best small forward. 
Averaging a goal a game this season in shorter games and his career average is a goal a game.
Also a really hard position to be consistent at, just ask a far more naturally talented D. Rioli.

Like our coaches do, maybe concentrate on what he does well and not what he does wrong.

At the very least he will go down as a 2 time Premiership Tiger player- not a bad career even if he retired today.... and yet he is only 24 and played 80 odd games.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #512 on: August 16, 2020, 11:50:18 AM »
He’s no Butler.  :rollin

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #513 on: August 16, 2020, 12:05:35 PM »
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=15&pid1=4175&fid1=C&playerStatus2=A&tid2=15&pid2=4123&fid2=C&type=T

Not much in it if you align the careers so far.

As crap as Rioli is playing now i would say he has far more upside than Castagna that’s not to denigrate what he has achieved so far in his career.

I like what Castagna has achieved but he also frustrates me a lot during games and now I feel that from Rioli also especially late last year and all of this year. 

If I were to put my house on one then it would be Rioli.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #514 on: August 16, 2020, 12:20:57 PM »
When people judge a players purely on marks, kicks and goals, I think they show a lack of “feel” for the game of AFL.

George was a rookie, if you had of said he would be a 2 time premiership player and our most consistent small forward in the past 3.5 years you would take it... even with his deficiencies?

The other thing people miss in all this is if George was a better kick for goal and better decision maker, he wouldn’t be a $200k a year player, he would be a $400k a year player.
And what that goes is pushes others out and all of a sudden, we are weaker in another areas.
The salary cap doesn’t allow you to have 22 Dusty Martins unfortunately.

I also think George’s roll has changed slightly this year, as he has played a lot further up the ground, even been in our backline some of the time.

Do you think D. Rioli as a first round draft pick, probably on twice as much money as George, better value for money and draft selection?
If you took away his 2 premierships, should Daniel be considered a flop of a first round draft pick, considering he is in his 5th year and keeps getting dropped and realistically shouldn’t be playing on current form?

I know who I think is better value for money on both fronts.

And lastly, Dan Butler is just an average AFL footballer and time will show this IMO.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #515 on: August 16, 2020, 12:29:22 PM »
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=15&pid1=4175&fid1=C&playerStatus2=A&tid2=15&pid2=4123&fid2=C&type=T

As crap as Rioli is playing now i would say he has far more upside than Castagna that’s not to denigrate what he has achieved so far in his career.

I like what Castagna has achieved but he also frustrates me a lot during games and now I feel that from Rioli also especially late last year and all of this year. 

That’s pretty informative but surely you can concede George wins that comparison- not by a long way but by a decent amount.

Does what they are paid and what you would have expected from them from their draft selection come into it for you?

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #516 on: August 16, 2020, 01:13:20 PM »

That’s pretty informative but surely you can concede George wins that comparison- not by a long way but by a decent amount.

Does what they are paid and what you would have expected from them from their draft selection come into it for you?
Like I said Castagna has done well for himself considering where he has come from and I did not want to denigrate all he has achieved with limited ability.
I also said Rioli has more upside due to his raw natural talent and frustrates me a lot because of this.

I’m not biased either way because they both frustrate me equally but for completely different reasons.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #517 on: August 16, 2020, 02:13:04 PM »

I would take being a 2 time premiership player :shh

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #518 on: August 16, 2020, 04:11:16 PM »
According to rumours Ive heard Carlton and St Kilda have interest in Castagna, hopefully they can offer him a decent amount to leave so we can get something in return.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #519 on: August 16, 2020, 05:35:03 PM »
According to rumours Ive heard Carlton and St Kilda have interest in Castagna, hopefully they can offer him a decent amount to leave so we can get something in return.

Who replaces him?

I would want a very high pick given Papleys alleged price

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #520 on: August 16, 2020, 08:59:16 PM »

Somewhat intrigued. Would definitely be open for further discussions but would need to be a good player coming back or decent draft pick. Although he butchers the ball by hand and foot often, he is a large part of our strong system and culture. Would listen but think he stays.

We will lose some players this year as some will be offered more $$ to move. Our strategy has always allowed those who we can live without move freely to a new home. We keep the important ones  :shh

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #521 on: August 16, 2020, 11:07:29 PM »
The poor form of our small forwards in Castagna, Rioli, Stack and Lambert this season has been a big let down. Aarts our only small guy to show any consistent form to date. Gone from one of our strengths to a weakness real quick.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #522 on: August 17, 2020, 11:36:58 AM »
Needs to step up been passenger like way to often this season.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #523 on: August 17, 2020, 11:39:58 AM »
Hell probably go to Carlton or Saints and kick bags like Butler...

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #524 on: August 17, 2020, 06:48:46 PM »
According to our weights coach, pound for pound, George is easiest the strongest at the club. Can do chin-ups with 55kg tied his body.