Author Topic: Jason Castagna [merged]  (Read 148073 times)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jason Castagna [merged]
« Reply #870 on: August 16, 2023, 11:13:47 PM »
Lol missed the point, George was an average role player, but I bet you can’t  name a player who has played the position  better than George.

Lol he is at the bottom of the list when it come to position. His role within that position was one dimensional and very limited.
If he had not managed to play in those flags he would indeed go down as one of the worst players to ever play the game when it comes to most areas of the game..Im not taking a shot at George im just being honest.

Surely all limited players should be expecting to be upgraded on if they are honest with themselves.And surely supporters can get over themselves and accept that they were indeed very ordinary limited players who were lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time and saw success.

I actually thank George deep down he knew what he was and he retired because our club has been drinking its own  bath water and would not have delisted him.

134 games, 127 goals and a rising star nomination.

Far from the worst player ever lol

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #871 on: August 16, 2023, 11:22:39 PM »
Lol missed the point, George was an average role player, but I bet you can’t  name a player who has played the position  better than George.

Lol he is at the bottom of the list when it come to position. His role within that position was one dimensional and very limited.
If he had not managed to play in those flags he would indeed go down as one of the worst players to ever play the game when it comes to most areas of the game..Im not taking a shot at George im just being honest.

Surely all limited players should be expecting to be upgraded on if they are honest with themselves.And surely supporters can get over themselves and accept that they were indeed very ordinary limited players who were lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time and saw success.

I actually thank George deep down he knew what he was and he retired because our club has been drinking its own  bath water and would not have delisted him.

Nope ONE of the worst. Slight difference but not worth arguing.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #872 on: August 17, 2023, 07:45:52 AM »
“If he had not managed to play in those flags he would indeed go down as one of the worst players to ever play the game when it comes to most areas of the game..Im not taking a shot at George im just being honest.”

:lol

Post of the year.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #873 on: August 17, 2023, 08:59:33 AM »
“If he had not managed to play in those flags he would indeed go down as one of the worst players to ever play the game when it comes to most areas of the game..Im not taking a shot at George im just being honest.”

Post of the year.
So take all the training all his family’s support, his commitment to the game and his success, then following his 3 flags and retirement supporters just have to suck any joy Jason may have derived from the game.
Sad

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #874 on: August 17, 2023, 09:26:58 AM »

Nope ONE of the worst. Slight difference but not worth arguing.

Aside from being a poor set shot, what was so terrible that he's one of the worst players in the history of the AFL out of thousands of players?

I would argue he did very well given his limitations and can think of several worse players currently and recently on our list.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #875 on: August 17, 2023, 10:48:19 AM »

Post of the year.
So take all the training all his family’s support, his commitment to the game and his success, then following his 3 flags and retirement supporters just have to suck any joy Jason may have derived from the game.
Sad

agree. I think he was harshly done by some of us. I recall some said he was the issue with our forward line.  :lol :lol

I will always thank him for what he did and tbh i didnt think he was all that bad. FFS look at some on our list now.

26, 27 and 17. Those were his goals in each our GF years. If some think that is poo then they are really stupid people.

He did his job and like many now was a victim of playing a role that is now obsolete as our big stars are cooked.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #876 on: August 17, 2023, 10:58:07 AM »
If some think that is poo then they are really stupid people.

Quoted for truth

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #877 on: August 17, 2023, 11:03:36 AM »
Poor bugger lost all confidence in his last season and couldn't do much right apart from playing to structures and having a dip.

Prior to that he was good overhead for his size and lively. Unreliable kick and perhaps the worst handballer I've seen but did have some good tools and was a solid contributor in his first 2 flags.

100+ games and goals is pretty bloody decent
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #878 on: August 17, 2023, 12:02:10 PM »

Post of the year.
Sad

agree. I think he was harshly done by some of us. I recall some said he was the issue with our forward line.  :lol :lol

I will always thank him for what he did and tbh i didnt think he was all that bad. FFS look at some on our list now.

26, 27 and 17. Those were his goals in each our GF years. If some think that is poo then they are really stupid people.

He did his job and like many now was a victim of playing a role that is now obsolete as our big stars are cooked.

17* goals in shortened quarters too so if you were to adjust that +25% for full length quarters that would be 21-22 goals, although all forwards were significantly down on even that adjusted figure - personally I think the shorter quarters allowed prolonged defensive running and cut down those 'late in the quarter' goals when the midfield is fatiguing and the forwards get a better run at it.

So who knows maybe that would have been another 25+ goal season...

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #879 on: August 17, 2023, 02:12:16 PM »
The fact that since castagna retired we have had no small forward come close to locking it in, taking overhead marks and bobbing up for the odd goal has made me realise he was better than his lowlight reel would suggest.

I was definitely one of the many who potted him because his misses were just hair pulling stuff but how he played in our structure really did help the team overall kick goals. Not to mention he was pretty handy in finals as well.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #880 on: August 17, 2023, 02:28:09 PM »

I was definitely one of the many who potted him because his misses were just hair pulling stuff but how he played in our structure really did help the team overall kick goals. Not to mention he was pretty handy in finals as well.

Agree, those five points he kicked v GWS in the GF 2019 were a real highlight

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #881 on: August 17, 2023, 06:28:27 PM »
LOL, a bit of a rant, but didn’t answer who has been a better small forward for Richmond in the last few years, we know he had limitations but that want the question 🙊🙉🙈

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #882 on: August 17, 2023, 06:36:42 PM »
Poor bugger lost all confidence in his last season and couldn't do much right apart from playing to structures and having a dip.

Prior to that he was good overhead for his size and lively. Unreliable kick and perhaps the worst handballer I've seen but did have some good tools and was a solid contributor in his first 2 flags.

Agree with this.

He was poor in his last years but that doesn’t mean that he wasn’t a valuable contributor to the  flags.

He was quick, a good mark and a good tackler. He had some good attributes among his flaws.

No point wasting your time trying to debate these things with Clawski who has no balance or nuance whatsoever in his takes.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #883 on: August 17, 2023, 08:50:46 PM »

Spot on
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #884 on: August 17, 2023, 09:15:27 PM »
Lol at the hypocricy. Most of you lot bagged the poo out of him along with me.

What i dont get as a footballer i never ever rated him even in the premiership years. NOW HE HAS RETIRED IM EXPECTED TO CHANGE MY THOUGHTS ON HIM. and sugar coat the many many deficiencies.
Sorry people he was lucky to play in the premierships, he was lucky to be in the right place at the right time and with or without him we would have won all three flags.With out a doubt he was a very ordinary player  but hey let the truth fly out the window because he played in some premierships.

Hmm his job  literally, small forward and ALL the areas that entails, yet you nuffies break it down even further, now days a role player in his case  a small fwd who does just one thing or in this case pressure well., of the many roles that make up being a small fwd. He is not even a glass half full player in fact extremely limited is being fair.

Isaid this right thru his whole career so why are people expecting me to change my opinion just because he has retired.
People on footy sites are the biggest hypocrites.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 09:48:44 PM by the claw »