Author Topic: Who made the decision to appoint Hardwick over Hinkley in 2009?  (Read 4626 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Who made the decision to appoint Hardwick over Hinkley in 2009?
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2014, 07:07:16 AM »
how is Hinkley's form going straight up to Boak after the siren and apparently demanding him to settle the players down as we have 2 more games to go and keep their mind on the job ahead.

If only our coach could instill some of these traits into our club

Interesting I heard he reminded Boak to take the players down to thank the fans who had made the trip  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

tony_montana

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2014, 07:24:29 AM »
Well said Andy, the conditioning coach they got from Liverpool I think has proven to be an absolute jet.

Wonder how much of his knowledge of Soccer counter attacking tactics were used in orchestrating the counter sling shot overlap style that Port play which counters the forward press. Very clever when mixed with elite speed and endurance which Port now have.

Hinkley is the best coach in the AFL. Even from 2 years. Better than Lyon, Brad Scott and Longmire who all inherited great lists. Lyon inherited 2 great lists and won nothing from it. Scott and Longmire inherited premiership lists with an elite culture.

Clarkson could mount a big case against Hinkley but the fact that Hinkley has gone from AFL basketcase to Prelim finalists in 2 years with the most exciting brand of footy in the comp is incredible.
not having a shot here but just tryinng to add some balance.
of their team that defeated freo  the following players were at port before hinkley got there.

fb/   broadbent - carlisle - jonas
hb/  oittard  -  trengove - oshea
c/  hartlett - boak - ####
hf/  gray - westhoff - ####
ff/  #### - schulz - wingard.
r/  lobbe - ebert-  ####
int/ moore -
plus theres another 10 who didnt play and are still on their list. id say hinkley had the makings of a pretty good teamwhen he walked into port. hes hardly had to strip the list back to nothing.

i would even argue that the work had already been done on the nd selections they took in 2012 and hinkley had little to do in this area.

what port have done well in hinkleys time is find 7good players and they still have kids from the last two draft who look promising who are yet to play  or played very little.

imo we are more like port when hinkley first got there, and as such, if we as a club could nail 3 or 4 nd draft picks and make 3 or 4 good trades like port have over the last 2 seasons we can significantly improve and become more than competetive hopefully.
we need to remember though there are clubs who have finished below us who have already done a significant amount of rebuild work. there are no guarantees.

Good observation, and hinkley has said as much himself, still, shows how well he's travelling if he can turn it around so drastically (or had bad Primus was)   :lol

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2014, 07:57:43 AM »
how is Hinkley's form going straight up to Boak after the siren and apparently demanding him to settle the players down as we have 2 more games to go and keep their mind on the job ahead.

Interesting I heard he reminded Boak to take the players down to thank the fans who had made the trip  ;D

Not what I heard from a mate over there

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2014, 08:32:28 AM »

Not what I heard from a mate over there

Actually they were talking about Hinkley and what you posted about him telling Boak to settle things down.

All good  :thumbsup

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2014, 08:42:58 AM »
When it came up I voted for Hinkley at my old pub but this is a hindsight thread and is pointless.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2014, 09:30:43 AM »
If my lip reading is any good, Hinkley was definitely saying calm it down to Boak and the players.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2014, 11:09:42 AM »
If my lip reading is any good, Hinkley was definitely saying calm it down to Boak and the players.

It's no good, he was saying chicken parmas down at the local, job done lads
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2014, 11:56:27 AM »

I didn't want hardwick cause I thought he was an average player and merely dirty

So was Malthouse.

Bad comparison. Malthouse was a very good player.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2014, 12:53:28 PM »

I didn't want hardwick cause I thought he was an average player and merely dirty

So was Malthouse.

Beg to differ.  Tough, solid, unspectacular - not a lot of skill and not a match winner.  Old-fashioned back pocket type player.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2014, 12:59:12 PM »
Beg to differ.  Tough, solid, unspectacular - not a lot of skill and not a match winner.  Old-fashioned back pocket type player.

I wonder why there was such a huge deal made out of the fact that he missed the 82 GF with injury then ? Many thought it might have been the difference between us winning and losing that day. I know I did.
 Malthouse was a very good and important player.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2014, 01:28:35 PM »

So was Malthouse.

Correct, nothing special
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2014, 02:16:21 PM »
Correct, nothing special

So explain why it was such a massive out when he missed the 82 GF after that infamous fitness test ?

Malthouse was indeed special. Hard , tough  , uncompromising and decent skills. Was also the leader of our backline.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2014, 03:34:40 PM »
Correct, nothing special

So explain why it was such a massive out when he missed the 82 GF after that infamous fitness test ?

Malthouse was indeed special. Hard , tough  , uncompromising and decent skills. Was also the leader of our backline.
And he scared the beejeesus out of the Carlton little guys back then...
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2014, 10:25:30 AM »
Correct, nothing special

He wasn't a massive out as a player, only the story surrounding the fitness test made it massive.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2014, 10:31:44 AM »
Correct, nothing special

He wasn't a massive out as a player, only the story surrounding the fitness test made it massive.
Disagree.  Just ask the Carlton smalls how relieved they were.  They were actually intimidated by him and this would often put them off their game.  So even though he wasn't a massive talent he had a huge effect on gelling our backline and spooking the opposition.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.