Author Topic: Liam McBean [merged]  (Read 167775 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Pick 33: Liam McBean
« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2012, 11:13:40 PM »
iam McBean
DOB: 25/8/94 Ht: 203 Wt: 87

Most people have no real idea where to stick McBean in their mocks and I am a bit the same. He has got the talent to put very high in the draft but he has some big holes in his game as well which might cause him to drop down the order significantly as well. When I first saw him I was very impressed with him and what he could do at his height but the closer I watched the more warts I saw. I am still inclined to be drawn to the size/talent he has but I am wary as well.

For those who haven’t seen him play he is a lot like Alex Keefe from Collingwood. That is a true ruck sized player who moves like a much smaller guy and whose best position is a key position rather than in the ruck. He is very agile and a smooth mover for such a big guy. His pace is solid as is his ability to read the play.

The biggest problem that I have with McBean is his pathological avoidance of contests. He seems afraid of body contact and steers clear of it if at all possible during games. This is not going to cut it at AFL level. He is never going to be a bulky guy but he is going to be carrying a bit of weight by the time he is finished and he needs to be able to throw that around a bit. At the moment he stays outside of contests and hopes the ball comes to him. I have also noticed that when flying for a mark under pressure he often doesn’t commit to getting in line with the ball seemingly worried about the contact. He is also moved around pretty easily and is pretty weak even taking aside his relative skinniness. I can see a lot of gym and contact work in McBean’s future over the next couple of years.

If you can get the physical aspect of his game up to scratch there is a lot to like. He has played a lot up forward but moved down back this year including at the Champs and I thought he showed some potential as a KPD especially if he is allowed to play loose. He reads the ball well in the air and judges his arrival at the ball nicely. His height and decent jump allows him to get up above virtually anyone else and he is a capable mark of the ball. He is has a pretty good spoil when caught behind and again his height and reach make him pretty formidable in this regard.

He is agile enough that he is not turned around that easily and when he is he recovers pretty well and showed enough pace and nous to compensate. AFL forwards will obviously outbody him at the moment but down the track he should be a difficult proposition to handle. With the KPFs getting taller and taller including the likes of Daniher this year and Boyd next year, having a ruck sized KPD has a lot of appeal especially if they can go into the ruck. I am sure many coaches are intrigued by his height.

In the ruck contest thought his strength is really found out and I am not sure he will ever be a full time ruck. You never know though and he is already up to 203cm and still growing. If he stops growing upwards and starts bulking up and growing into his body then there is a chance. Put it this way though he is going to have height on every other KP/Ruck in the competition (barring Keefe maybe) and with some targeted coaching in a full time environment he should at the worst be serviceable as a team’s second ruck and there is potential that he could be significantly better than that.

He is a very relaxed kick for a big man and has a lot of confidence in his kicking ability. That is sometimes misplaced and you will get a few errors each game at present but you can definitely see the potential for improvement there. He is good off either foot and is a penetrating kick when he goes long. He tends to go short to intermediate as his first option and does misjudge the weight of his kicks not infrequently and he is also prone to leaving too much loop in his passes. A lot of his problems I think might be focus related and I think his coaches will be drubbing into him that he needs to concentrate on what he is doing when he is kicking first before he moves onto what to do next. He is an accurate kick for goal but he doesn’t tend to be a big goal kicker. I note his coach thinks he is an elite kick so maybe I am being a bit harsh on him.

Below the knees he is very good for his height and when he gets the ball he is very capable by hand. He can occasionally deliver a hospital handpass but usually he is pretty effective in clearing the ball to a man in space. He does have a bit of an odd jogging style where he splays his feet a bit as he runs like a lifesaver wading through water and I wonder whether this might make him more predisposed to injury.

Overall McBean is an intriguing mix of talent and he is such a long way from a finished product that it harder to see where he will end up than it is for the more finished products who will be available. Whoever takes him is going to need to be patient with him and the supporters should not expect to see him for a couple of seasons at the very least.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/quigleys-2012-mock.980920/

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2012, 04:48:37 AM »
Liam's no Daniel Jackson. Let's hope he can play footy.

:lol

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/special-reports/liam-mcbean-juggled-school-and-footy-during-his-vce-year/story-fn4n10rz-1226538647329

IT'S been a big year of juggling school and footy for Liam McBean.

Hard slog comes to a perfect end

There was VCE at St Bernard's College in Essendon, where he was also the sports captain, there were footy commitments with the Calder Cannons, a scholarship which saw him travelling Europe to play with the Australian Institute of Sport and there was school footy.

"It was pretty full on, but you just adapt," Liam said.

In November, the 18-year-old was selected by Richmond as the No. 33 draft pick. The 203cm ruckman/defender overcame another hurdle yesterday when he got his VCE, with an ATAR of 60.05.

Liam hopes to look into sports journalism or a nutrition course, once he's settled into life at Richmond.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #122 on: December 18, 2012, 04:54:44 AM »

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/special-reports/liam-mcbean-juggled-school-and-footy-during-his-vce-year/story-fn4n10rz-1226538647329

There was VCE at St Bernard's College in Essendon, where he was also the sports captain, there were footy commitments with the Calder Cannons, a scholarship which saw him travelling Europe to play with the Australian Institute of Sport and there was school footy.

In November, the 18-year-old was selected by Richmond as the No. 33 draft pick. The 203cm ruckman/defender overcame another hurdle yesterday when he got his VCE, with an ATAR of 60.05.

Liam hopes to look into sports journalism or a nutrition course, once he's settled into life at Richmond.

Not even slightly funny. WGAF about his school results.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #123 on: December 18, 2012, 09:56:24 AM »
Good pick up this kid... ;D

Will show Edwards up soon enough... ;)
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2013, 02:23:25 AM »
Beany happy about get new wheels belonging to our major sponsor....

http://instagram.com/p/Vvw7JQpn2y/

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2013, 06:42:04 AM »

Not even slightly funny. WGAF about his school results.
I thought it was slightly funny :lol
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2013, 09:04:09 AM »
certainly beefing right up :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2013, 11:05:47 AM »
what are you alluding to BJ?

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Gigantor

« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2013, 11:10:26 AM »
why is he giving us the reverse peace sign?..lol

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #129 on: February 16, 2013, 11:42:25 AM »
Beany happy about get new wheels belonging to our major sponsor....

http://instagram.com/p/Vvw7JQpn2y/

$50,000 first car on your p's.. Gotta be happy with that :thumbsup
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2013, 11:43:21 AM »

Was it not a hand sign from Nazi Germany
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2013, 11:48:01 AM »

You just showed your age..

Gigantor

« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2013, 12:11:59 PM »
yes yes i was at woodstock

the claw

« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2013, 12:47:19 PM »
lol whats he at now 85kg.
they all manage good gains in the first yr its after that it becomes hard.

still think he will be a kpp. which is fine by me 200cm kpds are all the go it seems.  still think we should have taken a mid like nick graham with this pick.

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2013, 12:52:30 PM »
lol whats he at now 85kg.
they all manage good gains in the first yr its after that it becomes hard.

still think he will be a kpp. which is fine by me 200cm kpds are all the go it seems.  still think we should have taken a mid like nick graham with this pick.
Was Nick Graham the last genuine mid available?