Author Topic: Tigers vs Port  (Read 8452 times)

jackstar

Re: Tigers vs Port
« Reply #120 on: June 21, 2008, 07:11:25 PM »

I never blame the umpires for anything, but I thought the indecisions or lack of decisions in the last quarter helped get Port back in the game

Yep glad we won so I can say agree 100 % on that one, umpiring was disgusting

Jackstar and CUB agreeing on something, lol :clapping

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2008, 07:14:52 PM »
Special day indeed  :clapping

Yep we did slow it down too early but alot of the chip chipping in the final 10-15  minutes was a result of port flooding back and no great leads from our forwards

But I don't care .. don't give rats we won and it was specialllllllllllllllllllllll

:bow :bow

:gotigers

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Tigermonk

« Reply #122 on: June 21, 2008, 07:16:06 PM »
a quick note from me before we off to celebrate
1st happy birthday Joel
2nd dont anyone write again that Joel Bowden & Shane Tuck are finished because l will defend them 100%
3rd there were 22 players out ther today that played for the jumper something we have all wanted
4th we deserved that win, for the club the supporters & we will celebrate
5th Cleve Hughes is the new kid on the block  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D celebration time come-on  :gotigers  :gotigers  :gotigers  :gotigers :gotigers :gotigers  :clapping :clapping :clapping  :cheers :cheers :cheers

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2008, 10:44:47 PM »
You also don't chip around inside your defensive 50 as you end up cornering yourself. You spread out over the whole ground and get the ball in the middle so you have plenty of options as players can run more easily into space.

Not much option when you are an up and coming side and are forced into it, maybe in a couplpe of years when the clevs jacks et al are ready to provide stronger options up the spine we can then take it on.
Like the commentators said it was the opposing side that forced the game into that situation when we had the ball.
I didn't mean we take their flood on but if you're going to play tempo footy you still want to control the middle of the park as then you have space to go forwards, sideways or backwards far more easily and it's harder for the opposition to shut you down. We got ourselves into trouble because we trapped ourselves inside our defensive 50. Very risky play in such limited space and actually very hard to play tempo footy in without making a turnover. And it wasn't Jack or Cleve's fault either as they are down in the goalsquare. The midfielders and defenders are meant to spread to pull it off. Yep it's a learning experience for such a young side so you give them some slack but they've done it twice now trying to shut the game down too early and failed miserably at it. 

We deserved the win as we lead for most of it but the question has to be asked again as to why slow the game down again too early when we are well on top.
I'll have to go and look at it again, but don't think this was the case.  More Port just played better in the last quarter.  Only time I saw them do it was in the last minute or so, well after Port had nearly snatched it.
If we were going to lose it, it was going to be the turnovers - we were turnover kings today.  Some really bad and could have been costly ones.
But we won, so who cares.
It sounded from the commentary we did go defensive with 8 minutes to go. Lots of slow short passes and then kicking backwards back into our defensive 50 just to hold onto possession. Schwarz made note we changed the way we were playing at the 17th min mark.

But as you say Moi, we won so it worked out right in the end  :thumbsup. I just can do without the heart failure lol.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #124 on: June 21, 2008, 11:20:33 PM »
For me it was our best win against a "better" credentialled opponent since we beat the Dogs in the 2001 Telstra Dome grudge match. We won the hard match. This win has lead me to compare the way I am feeling now to what I felt in 1994 when we beat the Pies on the Queens Birthday then North by 5 points and went on to win 6 in a row only to miss out on the 8 but still create a launching pad for our 1995 season. With upcoming games against Carltankscumcheatliesteal West Coast Essendon and Brisbane whose to say we cannot win 6 in a row now.  :thumbsup
At least if things pan out in a similar way we at least have the capability to score heavily as we have scored 20 gaols for the 3rd time this season as opposed to the scrambly scratchy wins we were renowned for during that era. Hopefully if things eventuate to fruition and our team climbs up the ladder the powers that be within the club don't begin to tamper with the fabric of the team as was the case post 1995. Great win great feeling great night. I am ecstatic.  :cheers
Glad to finally win a close one after close shaves earlier in the season that we were desperately unlucky to not collect the four premiership points from. Hopefully this is a watershed win and the boys can believe that they can play in the comp competitively and win most importantly. Sets up a launching pad for the rest of the year with our draw over the next few weeks.  :pray

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #125 on: June 21, 2008, 11:21:37 PM »
Well what a great win!!  :thumbsup :thumbsup :clapping It was very tense for the last 10 minutes. I was transfixed to the TV hoping I wasn't going to see a repeat of the Dogs game. I had one kid crawling out the front door and another heading for the chemical cabinet and I didn't budge! Does that make me a bad parent??  :lol God I love Pay TV with live Tigers games!!!! Since we got it we have won every game!!

Offline TFL

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #126 on: June 21, 2008, 11:27:03 PM »
Good stuff Tiga, if my dodgy satellite would work i would be watching the replay now  :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2008, 12:31:41 AM »
Another pleasing aspect was the fact that Deledio and Cotchin were very quiet and had no influence on the game yet we were able to kick 20 goals and still have enough run and carry of the ball to create scoring opportunities. Other players were able to stand up and fill the breach. Matthew White is carving a nice niche for himself in the midfield. Kudos to the team.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2008, 12:58:18 AM »
Pics of the game from aflphotos.com....

http://www.gspimages.com.au/photography/results/?q=collection:AFL%202008%20Rd%2013%20-%20Port%20Adelaide%20v%20Richmond&sub_code=all&per_page=100

A couple of great pics of the players with the Tiger Army after the game. Well done to all those who went  :clapping.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2008, 07:20:46 AM »
I'd like to see us play 100 minutes of our best footy against a Geelong or Hawthorn. When we are good, we look unstoppable against average teams.

The umpiring in the last quarter changed the game, had these clowns just been consistent, we would've won by 4 or 5 goals and the whole tempo thing becomes obsolete.

In the last qtr, Browny gets a free for a high tackle and kicks the sealing goal. 
Instead, I think it was Grey (who ducked FFS) and gets one and its a 12 point play - 28 points becomes 16. Joke.

It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

bushranger

« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2008, 08:55:01 AM »
My son lives over in Adelaide and that was the match they go on tele. He said that Browny was really good as was Tuck. But he also said that it was from Mortlocks boot were we nearly lost it. But its history now we won, you little ripper. :gotigers

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2008, 11:46:38 AM »
Chris Newman is about to come on the Sunday Footy Show to discuss the win

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2008, 12:41:26 PM »
Tuck
Bowden
Polak

Think I will name this "The day that some of us were shown to be wrong". These guys all stood up and were in the top half a dozen players. And not just for one week either. Would love to see a few more prove us casual experts wrong.

Any Chance any others that get bagged comming up and proving us wrong ?
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2008, 09:23:16 PM »
Tuck
Bowden
Polak

Think I will name this "The day that some of us were shown to be wrong". These guys all stood up and were in the top half a dozen players. And not just for one week either. Would love to see a few more prove us casual experts wrong.

Any Chance any others that get bagged comming up and proving us wrong ?
Are you talking about Jordie, fluffy? lol

Tucky's been good the last 2 weeks IMO. Kept things simple by just pumping it out of the centre into the forward line. More kicks in instead of the zillion of handballs.

I think we'll like to see Joel and Polak back it up next week. I thought the Port game was one of Simmo's better ones for a while. Perhaps his knee is coming good.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #134 on: June 23, 2008, 04:52:30 PM »
Did anyone else hear Dermie on the radio before trying to dismiss our win. Making out Port had put the cue in the rack for the season because they lost to a team that only had won 4 games  ::).

You numbskull Dermie. Port's only won 4 games too you idiot  :stupid.

Schwarz and Robbo earlier were more praising of our win. Schwarz also reckons the Pies will miss the Eight TM ;D.