Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 902726 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #5850 on: August 08, 2022, 10:35:35 PM »
Footy Classified discussing Dusty tonight:

Caro: And then you've got Dustin Martin at Richmond, who has disengaged to a degree this year. Still not back in the side. Don't think he will be back this week. There's hope that in round 23 he'll be back.

Caro: Richmond are just starting to talk a little bit tough about Dustin Martin. They love him. They want him to stay. They say he's got a two year contract. They think he's got another 3-4 years left for his career; not two years. It would have to be a bloody good offer for them to even consider talking about letting him go.

Cornes: They would want to have him engaged. That's a warning sign.

Caro: Clearly, that's a big worry. For everything he has done for that footy club, they have been very good for Dustin Martin too. I just hope he remembers that.

Lloyd: If you're another suiter, Hutchy, you'd want to .... ah .... it's a massive .... I reckon it's Richmond or nowhere for Dusty. The fire in the belly, if it's not there, you don't take on a player on that money to a new club.

Caro: It's a problem that the money in this case seems to be the main reason that he is going to keep on playing. No one is going to walk away from $1.2 million or whatever it is a year. $1.3 million a year say. No one is going to do that.

Hutchy: Trying to thin that out for them would be the next move.

Cornes: You're saying the only reason he's playing is for money?

Caro: No, no! If that's what is going to keep him then that's a bit of a worry. I thought in the West Coast game he looked, you know, started to show signs of the Dustin of old but of course he ...

Hutchy: I reckon he will be back big time in the finals.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5851 on: August 08, 2022, 10:41:48 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5852 on: August 11, 2022, 03:45:07 PM »
Martin on track for any finals

By Oliver Caffrey
AAP
11 August 2022

Dustin Martin has been ruled out of the rest of the home-and-away season but Richmond expect the superstar to be back should they qualify for the finals.

The three-time Norm Smith Medallist hasn’t played since hurting his hamstring during the Tigers’ win against West Coast on July 3.

The 31-year-old has played just eight games this season as he has dealt with personal issues and soft-tissue injuries, so the Tigers are taking a cautious approach.

“The regular season he won’t play any further part, and if we make it (finals), he’ll be putting his hand up to play,” Tigers coach Damien Hardwick said at Punt Road Oval on Thursday morning.

“Probably speaking to Dustin really how he feels and where our medical staff think it is, just to give himself the best opportunity.

“We want to give him the very best opportunity to play at his best, we know what he’s like at this time of year (in finals)

“If we get there, he’ll certainly have a significant part to play.”

Adding to the intrigue around Martin is media speculation that he could leave Richmond and escape the Melbourne AFL fishbowl to play in Sydney next year.

Hardwick in May gave his blessing for Martin to move if he chooses, despite having two years left on his contract with the Tigers.

But the triple premiership coach is not worried about the rumours and believes Martin will remain at Richmond.

"He's a Richmond man and a Richmond player," Hardwick said.

"The longer we have Dustin Martin in our building, the better for us.

"The 20 per cent of stories that Dusty might go creates the media speculation, that gets the clicks.

"It’s driven by lots of external forces that we can’t control."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/817846/martin-on-track-to-play-finals-tiger-guns-set-to-face-hawks
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 04:01:35 PM by one-eyed »

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5853 on: August 11, 2022, 03:52:51 PM »
finally they had the balls to say it.

Worse management of our players this year. Whoever played a part should be given the arse.

2 months off for a second hammy  :banghead
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5854 on: August 11, 2022, 06:09:49 PM »
There has been change made but it wont be seen until this season ends.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5855 on: August 11, 2022, 06:31:12 PM »
finally they had the balls to say it.

Worse management of our players this year. Whoever played a part should be given the arse.

2 months off for a second hammy  :banghead

Burge is already going, buck stops with him

While the amount of soft tissue injuries has been terrible but you are aware he has missed 5 games and as reported won't play for the next 2. So that's 7 weeks, not 2 months

But more importantly if you re-do a hamstring the recovery time is never the stock standard 3 weeks. They always go down the conservative route.

Is being cautious the right way too go? IMHO, yes everytime

Has our fitness and conditioning been good this season? As I said it's been terrible so that's a no.

Let's hope the get the Burge replacement right. It is absolutely crucial
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 09:10:43 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5856 on: August 11, 2022, 06:53:29 PM »
Yep, the recovery time effectively doubles if you re-injure a hammy or any soft-tissue injury. So 3 weeks becomes 6 weeks at least. Then you've got the issue of not playing for a lengthy period of time. The average player would usually come back via the ressies after a long lay off so their playing time can be managed, monitored and built up.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #5857 on: August 11, 2022, 07:07:53 PM »
Conservative is definitely the way to go, bring him back too early & his season is over if he does it again. Soft tissue injuries been a major issue for a number of yrs now (even during our dynasty) so change isn't a bad thing at yrs end. As for Burge, he'll still look like a genius if Dusty ends the Finals with another Normy around his neck along with another medal.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5858 on: August 11, 2022, 07:18:09 PM »
Conservative is definitely the way to go, bring him back too early & his season is over if he does it again. Soft tissue injuries been a major issue for a number of yrs now (even during our dynasty) so change isn't a bad thing at yrs end. As for Burge, he'll still look like a genius if Dusty ends the Finals with another Normy around his neck along with another medal.
If that were to happen then that would be right up there with Royce coming on at half-time of the 1973 Prelim Final to turn around a 6 goal deficit and then us going on to win the flag the following weekend :yep.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
RIEWOLDT SAYS MARTIN “ALL-IN” AT RICHMOND AS EX-TEAMMATE CASTS DOUBT OVER FUTURE

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
12 August 2022

Jack Riewoldt has backed Dustin Martin to remain with Richmond on the same day as former Tiger Brett Deledio cast doubts on his future.

The three-time Norm Smith Medallist and premiership star is currently sidelined with a hamstring injury and will not be seen again in the home and away season, but could return if the Tigers make the finals.

Riewoldt says it was a “smart move” by the club to announce Martin’s injury status so he can focus on getting himself fit for week one of the finals if they are lucky enough to be there.

“He just hasn’t been able to increase his running speed,” Riewoldt said on SEN Tassie.

“He’s had a couple of recurrences of just some awareness around the hamstring.

“The idea around it is to take away from the want to get him back and people trying to get information about when he’s going to get back. Even for himself to can the home and away season, let’s set all our sights on the first final if it comes to fruition.

“That gives you another week in between the home and away season and leading into a first final. I think it’s a smart move just for his own mental game to know that I’ve got four weeks to get myself right.

“Hopefully we’re there and hopefully he can come in and have a big impact. Smart move from the football club to take away all the innuendo about when he’s going to come back.”

Martin’s name continues to be included in trade speculation with some predicting he will leave Punt Road at the end of this year.

But from what Riewoldt has seen of Martin, he is confident the superstar is “all-in” at Richmond.

He was asked if we will see the 2017 Brownlow Medallist in Tigers colours again.

“I can’t see a reason why we wouldn’t,” he added.

“His buy-in has been great lately, he’s really invested in getting himself back out on the track which is the most important thing.

“He looks all-in.”

However, former teammate Deledio has his doubts.

The 243-game Tiger sees the Martin situation as “eerily similar” to his own when he experienced soft tissue injuries late in his career before joining GWS prior to the 2017 season.

“I’m a bit skeptical on the whole thing,” Deledio told ABC Sport.

“I’m not saying that it’s not a hammy, but I’m always nervous about players when there’s a bit of noise about them leaving and whatever else, and then it’s the convenience of, ‘Oh, he’s out, but he will play if there’s finals’.

“I don’t know. I’m just hearing a bit of noise around the big fella and I’m not sure I’m convinced on everything that’s going on.”

Deledio wouldn’t be surprised if Martin were to up and leave the club even after hearing CEO Brendon Gale suggest he’s going nowhere.

“I think there’s a chance (he leaves),” he added.

“I’m just hearing some things out there. In saying that, I sat right next to Brendon Gale and he said, ‘He’s a Richmond person and he’s contracted for the next two years and (we’ll) be buggered if we’re going to be paying some of his wage for a good player like him to go and play at some other club’.

“If someone wanted to come and get him they’d have to pay a pretty hefty price in terms of draft picks and his salary, which you’d assume was back-ended.

“Don’t hang me on it, but I’m just reading the tea leaves a little bit.

“It’s a bit similar to my situation when I left. I had the calf (issues) and probably could have come back but then didn’t and then made my mind up that I was ready for a change.

“It’s just easier to sit out. We were never going to play finals, so that’s hanging over the head a little bit, but it just seems eerily similar.”

Martin, 31, is contracted with Richmond until 2024.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/08/12/riewoldt-says-martin-all-in-at-richmond-as-ex-teammate-casts-doubt-over/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5860 on: August 12, 2022, 07:58:10 PM »
Former Richmond star Brett Deledio has cast fresh doubt over Dustin Martin's future at Punt Road. Deledio says he sees similarities between Dusty and his own injury-plagued exit from Tigerland. @NatYoannidis @7AFL

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1558014647168811009

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5861 on: August 12, 2022, 07:59:57 PM »
Former Richmond star Brett Deledio has cast fresh doubt over Dustin Martin's future at Punt Road. Deledio says he sees similarities between Dusty and his own injury-plagued exit from Tigerland. @NatYoannidis @7AFL

Ahhhhhhh pretty sure Deledio left chasing success whereas dusty has had enough success to satisfy 3 careers.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5862 on: August 12, 2022, 08:17:18 PM »

Really Brett?

I don't

Very, very different
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5863 on: August 12, 2022, 09:03:09 PM »
Can't stand this bloke honestly best thing we did was got rid of him.

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5864 on: August 12, 2022, 09:20:13 PM »
Can't stand this bloke honestly best thing we did was got rid of him.

Yeah he is a massive campaigner that was only ever interested in the dollar and had no interest in our club or supporters, but he is not way off the mark in this instance.