Author Topic: You should all Bow to FIFA's Oceania Club of the Century  (Read 6517 times)

Ramps

Re: You should all Bow to FIFA's Oceania Club of the Century
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 06:58:53 PM »
your jealousy as a Victory supporter is palpable lol ... Unfortunately your club wont ever win an equivalent award not today, not tomorrow not in 1000 years ... and it burns the lot of you at Victory.  ;D HAHAHAHAHAHA

And by the way, when we won National Championships we werent winning them in 8 team competitions lol. We had to beat great clubs like Marconi, Sydney City, Adelaide City and the Knights in 14 and 16 team comps. Not the bozo clubs like Wellington lol .... HAHAHAHA. Not even FIFA recognises your championships. To be recognised a league has to have 12 teams lol. Maybe one day ... maybe.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 12:47:18 AM »
For FIFA to recognise a league it's got to first still exist unlike the poor old NSL lol :wallywink. The Swiss Super League has 10 teams btw so the A-league will have more teams than them next year. Grasping at straws big fella  ;D. At least in the A-league a NSW team has to earn their spot in the GF unlike the NSW-centric rigged NSL conference system they used in the mid-80s :chuck
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 05:35:17 AM »
For FIFA to recognise a league it's got to first still exist unlike the poor old NSL lol :wallywink. The Swiss Super League has 10 teams btw so the A-league will have more teams than them next year. Grasping at straws big fella  ;D. At least in the A-league a NSW team has to earn their spot in the GF unlike the NSW-centric rigged NSL conference system they used in the mid-80s :chuck

See we even won in a rigged system lol ....that just shows the Greatness, the Glory, the Power and the Passion to succeed of a great club like South. Anyway, we will be getting our Gold fifa trophy for our status as the Club of Century.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 11:10:27 PM »
Ramps you are starting to sound like a Collingwood supporter!!!

Nostalgia is a warm fuzzy blanket that you can curl up in anytime you feel a little insecure but don't expect it to give you new found glory's.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 12:07:43 AM »
Unlike Collingwood fans who harp on about exploits 50 years ago South's exploits have been in the last 10 years or so and are recognised by FIFA.

Collingwood's failure is manipulated by the powers that be to make money and to continue their failure.

Give me South's exploits any day.

14 team league.
Relegation and promotion from various state leagues.
Better standard of play.
No 8 team league.
Channel 7,9,10 still don't give a stuff about A league as they didn't with NSL.
If it wasn't for Fox Sports propping up the comp with dwindling crowds then this league would have had casualties in terms of clubs going under already. It's struggling already and we are in year 5 and we have 2 new teams entering the comp with the same contract in terms of tv rights existing for the next 3 or 4 years. The paintwork is certainly losing its sheen and with the exploits of the 2006 World Cup behind us a poor showing next year could see the novelty wear off even further.

South Heidelberg Knights Marconi Olympic may never play Champions League in Asia but their exploits from FIFA are still recognised and values. Victory and Heart could only dream of such exposure on the World Stage.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 01:35:58 PM »
Tucky in all seriousness the Victory could be a serious show in the ACL this year. All depends on managing their squad given they'll need to play A-league finals and ACL group games at the same time.

ps. I see Ramps has posted this article on every soccer forum as well  :rollin

http://www21.sbs.com.au/wgforum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=322112

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 06:22:38 PM »
I don't wnat to come across as a stirrer because as most would know I am not a massive follwoer of the "world game" or what I just refer to as soccer

But I actually read a story last week (I think it was) about this and the way I read it this award has come from a division of FIFA not FIFA directly. Am I right on this or have I read it the the wrong way?

Because from the Age article it says in part:

"The Albert Park-based club, which won the NSL title four times and competed on the highest international stage at the inaugural World Club championship a decade ago, has been named Oceania's top team by the International Football Federation of History and Statistics.

The federation is a FIFA-recognised body that collates data and awards points to teams from various parts of the world on their achievements, with a weighting built in for the degree of difficulty in the competition in which they take part.
"

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/south-melbourne-in-exalted-company-at-awards-20100123-mrsa.html

The article then goes onto say that all Clubs recognised by these statistics will go to some FIFA presentation. It then compares South Melb with Real Madrid in that both have won the award in thier region

But I am confused as to how this award actually works  :-\
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 09:57:28 PM »
I don't wnat to come across as a stirrer because as most would know I am not a massive follwoer of the "world game" or what I just refer to as soccer

But I actually read a story last week (I think it was) about this and the way I read it this award has come from a division of FIFA not FIFA directly. Am I right on this or have I read it the the wrong way?

Because from the Age article it says in part:

"The Albert Park-based club, which won the NSL title four times and competed on the highest international stage at the inaugural World Club championship a decade ago, has been named Oceania's top team by the International Football Federation of History and Statistics.

The federation is a FIFA-recognised body that collates data and awards points to teams from various parts of the world on their achievements, with a weighting built in for the degree of difficulty in the competition in which they take part.
"

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/south-melbourne-in-exalted-company-at-awards-20100123-mrsa.html

The article then goes onto say that all Clubs recognised by these statistics will go to some FIFA presentation. It then compares South Melb with Real Madrid in that both have won the award in thier region

But I am confused as to how this award actually works  :-\
I presume they give points to each club within each confederation based on titles won, ladder positions each year, difficult of the competition (the NSL would've been the most difficult competition in Oceania which says it all), etc. I would say this no matter which club won the award but it really is a mickey mouse award except for clubs from Europe and South America. Real Madrid has won it all and even more as far as club football goes against the best clubs in the world and having some of the best players in history wear the famous all white kit. When most of the other clubs from weaker confederations walk on stage the audience will be asking themselves "who?" lol.

Ramps

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 09:58:55 AM »
People should recognise the achievement rather than trying to discredit it. If one of the A Leagues clubs had won then you guys would be all over it, especially if it was the Victory.

SMFC FIFA Club of the Century (Oceania) :clapping

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 12:44:06 PM »
People should recognise the achievement rather than trying to discredit it. If one of the A Leagues clubs had won then you guys would be all over it, especially if it was the Victory.

Not trying to discredit it Ramps - just trying to understand it as per my post. Trying to understand where this board that put together the numbers etc fits in with FIFA.

As for if it was an A-League team - wouldn't make an ounce of difference to me. I think the A-League competition is very very poor indeed. Bores me to tears
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 08:05:41 PM »

If there is a club that deserves it because they were a strong successful well-supported NSL club it would be S.M. Hellas Ramps. But still for a sport that ranks well below Aussie Rules and the Rugby codes in Oceania it's kind of kind of rank any Oceania-based soccer club gets called "club of the century" when world famous massive clubs like Man Utd, Liverpool, Ar_senal, Juventus, Milan, Barcelona and Bayern Munich miss out because Real Madrid was their competition.

Ramps

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2010, 05:54:43 PM »

If there is a club that deserves it because they were a strong successful well-supported NSL club it would be S.M. Hellas Ramps. But still for a sport that ranks well below Aussie Rules and the Rugby codes in Oceania it's kind of kind of rank any Oceania-based soccer club gets called "club of the century" when world famous massive clubs like Man Utd, Liverpool, Ar_senal, Juventus, Milan, Barcelona and Bayern Munich miss out because Real Madrid was their competition.

thems the breaks  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2010, 10:51:35 PM »

thems the breaks  ;D
Well I hope for South's sake there's some decent quid being offered along with the award or are FIFA being a tightbehind as usual?

Offline dizza

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 10:31:32 PM »
what i don't understand is rather than making this laughable new Melbourne Heart team that everyone will hate, why not turn South Melbourne into an A-League club??
Push up!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 12:13:44 AM »
what i don't understand is rather than making this laughable new Melbourne Heart team that everyone will hate, why not turn South Melbourne into an A-League club??
The FFA forbids old "ethnic" NSL clubs from entering the A-League. They want franchise clubs that appeal to a wider audience. Mind you the Heart could go with a red and white checkered shirt and people in soccer circles would say at least they're honest lol. There could be an extra spot opening up in the A-league though if the Fury go under.