Author Topic: Brad Miller [merged]  (Read 66010 times)

Ramps

Re: Brad Miller [merged]
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2010, 01:23:25 PM »
Ramps its only rubbish recruiting to you mate! no disprespect but Houli and Grigg are 22 years old and have had slow starts to thier careers for numerous reasons, they will be at thier peak when the rest of our side is aswell in 3 -4 years.

Sherman is the one i want the most i think he fits the bill for what we desperatly lack to perfection and want him more than anyone!

Miller is a fantastic idea! His leadership is highly ranked around the AFL and was nearly made captain before it was given to McDonald....Miller probably wont play a senior game for us but will provide great on-field leadership for our young guys at coburg!

Slow starts to their careers lol .... maybe the reason is that they werent good enough to have made better starts? And Miller lol ... at least its a mature age rookie, anyone remember Graham and Kingsley- they were bought to RFC to provide leadership as well.

Offline Nugget_12

• Tiger Fanatic!
  • Future Richmond star
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2010, 01:33:43 PM »
Ramps, Grigg had ankle injuries over the past 18 months and by all reports is finally over them, and Houli was left out of the side for reasons only known to the Essendon match committee despite dominating at VFL level, he had the Essendon players asking questions why he wasnt being played and they were shrugged off every time, I know this because i played footy with Jay Neagle and the players all wanted Houli in the side.

As for Graham and kingsley Wallace stated he drafted them as players to allow the draftees to develope at Coburg, they were brought in to play at AFL level, Miller is being brought in to provide leadership and guidence to our players at VFL level and the reason he's being mature aged rookied is because if we hit poo creek and loose Griff or Jack long term then he can fill a hole without the club having to change its structures like they did playing McGuane and Thursfield forward at times!

need to look at the big picture not just the short term!
Pain is Temporary, Pride Lasts Forever!................Keep ya heads up Tiges!

Ramps

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2010, 01:36:23 PM »
Depends how you see the big picture, i see as we trade out the likes of tambling, thursfield, mcguane or rance etc ... and draft more kids like Heppell, Mitchell and Lamb etc who will be good players for a long time going forward.

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2010, 01:39:08 PM »
I hope if Griggs, Sherman, Houli or Miller do end up with us, you at least give them at least a couple of months before you start getting stuck into them and everyone else.

Offline Nugget_12

• Tiger Fanatic!
  • Future Richmond star
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2010, 01:41:15 PM »
Your spot on mate, they will be great players going forward but over the next 2 years they will have little impact except for maybe a Heppell if we can snare him.

I dont see the issue of getting these players to the club while we're already losing a couple players so we will upgrade possibly our 2nd and 3rd round picks and maybe even add an extra pick aswell!

If Grigg and Houli dont come on in the 3 years we're reportedly offering them, then we havnt really lost out if we have to delist them!

Thats the way i see it!
Pain is Temporary, Pride Lasts Forever!................Keep ya heads up Tiges!

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2010, 01:42:53 PM »
Depends how you see the big picture, i see as we trade out the likes of tambling, thursfield, mcguane or rance etc ... and draft more kids like Heppell, Mitchell and Lamb etc who will be good players for a long time going forward.

So you trust the club to make the right decisions in regards to picks and kids, but not trades involving mature bodies?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2010, 02:09:33 PM »
What's that about giving recruits a go.

WTF and hell no, they have got one game max to be in our best 10 otherwise the poo hits the fan

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2010, 02:16:41 PM »
I think people need to take into account the situation we find ourselves in given the compromised draft. The talent pool begins to dilute much quicker this year bcause of the draft concessions of the GC both before the draft with the 17 year old talent and then with 9 picks in the first 20. On top of this, when it comes to the Rookie draft GC has the first 5 picks. What this all means is that their will be far less potential/project players left over for the Rookie Draft meaning by the time you get to your 4th pick etc you might as well fill a hole in the list which for us is obviously leadership.
I think you'll find it's GWS with the first 5 rookie picks, not GC Suns

my concern is now about the number of rejects coming to Richmond

Houli
Grigg maybe
Sherman
Miller
The only reject on that list is Miller, the rest are all wanting to be kept by their clubs
If the only reject we chase is only getting a mature age rookie spot with the intention that he's there in case our young kpps get long term injuries then it not the end of the world

I'm not particularly happy about getting Miller, but hardly something worth jumping in front of a bus over either

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2010, 02:34:52 PM »
Why do we need insurance for? To stop us dropping from 15th from 16th ???  :lol. We're going to finish bottom 4 again anyway so if we get injuries then we finish bottom, suck it up and end up with a extra priority pick in another compromise draft where decent picks a golden. You know as we should have done the last two years to accelerate our rebuild. Bringing in a number of recycled fringe players from other clubs is only a pathway to another ninth  :scream.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2010, 03:42:02 PM »
No no no no no. :banghead

Ramps

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2010, 04:05:07 PM »

So you trust the club to make the right decisions in regards to picks and kids, but not trades involving mature bodies?

I believe we are better of trading out the likes of Thursfield, Tambling et al and using those picks on Kids. Thats it in a nutshell.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2010, 04:54:20 PM »
I believe we are better of trading out the likes of Thursfield, Tambling et al and using those picks on Kids. Thats it in a nutshell.
Well said Ramps. The top 30 of this draft look to be decent kids as well.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

the claw

« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2010, 05:03:35 PM »
Wrong, talented footballer with great hands who reads the game extremely well.
Dont know the story behind the scenes with Melb in 2010, something not right there though

Melbourne decided to go with youth ;)
so have we mad one.so have we.  if you cant see the logic behind us getting him you never will. the need for a mature big bodied key forward since richo retired has been great.we went with polak but should have gone with bradshaw. the club in wanting to keep richo going another yr, then mature rooikeing polak, have at least recognised the need for that mature body. they have continued to recognise that need by mature rookieing miller. the club in this instance are correct.

simply put it will allow our young kpfs to develop at their own pace and at coburg if need be.the lack of experienced tall forwards on the list is gaping we only have a still immature riewoldt.
 jack is the only established tall forward on the list hes been double and triple teamed by opposition he needs a hand.
if say post plays chb we have griffiths who has just had double shoulder surgery and we really need to nurse him over the next couple of seasons. astbury sheesh hes had one season and is prefered down back the post man well he needs time. what happens if jack gets hurt or post as well.

unlike some i think miller as a mature rookie will play most games i dont rate him as a footballer and he would not be my choice  but there is a need for experienced big body talls on the list. hes 27 and he has in him the couple of seasons we need while our kids develop.

the claw

« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2010, 05:19:35 PM »

we should still be doing exactly that ramps. but there is absolutely nothing to stop us from tading for players as well.

if tambling and thursfield were to go, at a guess  we should end up with picks that go something like 6, 14 -26, 29, 46, theres no reason why we cant use these picks in the nd. take houli  in the psd trade for grigg with say thursfield perhaps we can get a latish carlton pick as well. take miller in the rookie draft and still utilise some late picks in the nd.
we should not ignore trades the key is we must utilise and prioritise  the nd as well. we have not done this in the past. in the past when trading we have actually traded out of the draft.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2010, 05:26:14 PM »
I don't think people understand the state of this years draft. It is serverly compromised to the point that late Rookie picks are not speculative this year but more-so meaningless. Bringing in a kid who is never going to make it because in any other draft he would be the 250th player is a waste of time.

Development and education of our quality youngsters is the key to our future and to achieve that we need good coaches and good leaders. Cousins worth over the last two years has been less about his onfield performance but more about the leadership and off-field direction he provided. Now while I would never place Miller in the same category as Cousins I would suggest the role Cousins played could in part in be filled by Miller.

Bringing in a player like Miller is not about the present, it's about the future. We need to protect our young KPP players from long term injuries. We also don't want to have to play these developing youngsters out of position. They should be spending as much time in there future positions as possible. While we may not be striving to play in the GF next year we should be about attempting to keep our structures and game plan in place as much as possible through the year. Whole sale changes from week to week is unproductive long term so having a utility could allow us to retain our structures if one of our structural players goes down through injury.

Now while he may not have been my choice, given the circumstances and role he will play, I can see the reasons.

Lets not make Miller our next McMahon whipping-boy before he has even played his first game.  :pray

Stripes