Author Topic: Potential ruckman from other clubs.  (Read 33998 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Potential ruckman from other clubs.
« on: April 21, 2016, 10:07:50 PM »
Anyone got any ideas on ruckmen that may be available for us to poach from other clubs at years end?
Or even a decent one is a lower level?
As we all know we are at least one decent ready made ruckmen short.
Surely they won't put us through another season of Hampson!!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Potential ruckman from other clubs.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 10:17:02 PM »
Even though he is still competitive and a millions times better than Hampson I think Maric is on the decline.

Surely a high pick ruckman and one other late in the ND or rookie draft is a must

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 10:18:43 PM »
I wanted the club last year to rookie Darcy Cameron from Claremont. He will be 21 in July and is 204cm.
Our high pick may be going to GWS for Jack Steele. :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 11:06:46 PM »
Yes on Cameron.

More a forward/second ruck, but apparently there's an impasse between Josh Jenkins & Adelaide over the length of his contract. Upgrade on Vickery,& Griffiths as a back up ruck and  upgrade on both as well as Hamspud as a forward. Wouldn't solve our ruck problems on his own though.

If we're desperate....Zac Clarke's a free agent. Better than Hamspud at least.

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 11:30:06 PM »
Yes on Cameron.

More a forward/second ruck, but apparently there's an impasse between Josh Jenkins & Adelaide over the length of his contract. Upgrade on Vickery,& Griffiths as a back up ruck and  upgrade on both as well as Hamspud as a forward. Wouldn't solve our ruck problems on his own though.

Yer I think Clarke could thrive as the number 1 ruck having had to play second fiddle to Big Sandi for a while now. He is a good athlete and is mobile which is what your modern day ruckman need to be.
What would he be worth in terms of draft picks or a REALIST fair trade??

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 11:56:31 PM »
Yes on Cameron.

Yer I think Clarke could thrive as the number 1 ruck having had to play second fiddle to Big Sandi for a while now. He is a good athlete and is mobile which is what your modern day ruckman need to be.
He is a FA. Would not cost us picks.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 12:06:35 AM »
Yes on Cameron.

He is a FA. Would not cost us picks.
Wowee... No brainer.... Won't happen then.... :lol

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 12:36:48 AM »
Admittedly I haven't seen much of him, but Toby Nankervis from Sydney looked alright the other night. Still young at 21 and a little short but he just looked like he had a real go and wasn't too shabby. Laid 9 tackles as well. A bit behind the pecking order over at Sydney so could be a realistic.

I don't know if I like this option but another is Tom Bellchambers. I got on his band wagon at one stage and he actually had a good year IIRC but then he turned into a dud. Not sure if it was due to injury or not.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2016, 12:51:55 AM »
Nankervis is 199, so isn't drastically short........but according to Sydney's own website he's "not overly mobile"...
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 01:15:13 AM »
Nankervis is 199, so isn't drastically short........but according to Sydney's own website he's "not overly mobile"...

Yeah but these days anything less than 200cm is a short ruckman. I guess it depends on his leap. If he can jump higher than Maric then we'll probably be okay.
Hard to gauge off little vision but I'm not sure his mobility is that bad. He's obviously no Natinui but I didn't feel like he was a massive plodder. He just looked like a work horse. Laid some very nice tackles after second efforts in the ruck

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2016, 06:54:40 AM »
Any good spares up at GWS?

With Mummy at number 1, the backups might want to go somewhere they can be the number 1

Still reckon Billy Longer or McEvoy were the ones we should of gone after.... a Billy Longer type is what we need, young but solid body shape wise to step straight up
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 08:56:10 AM »
So for 3 years or longer we have had this thread, or at least this questioned asked. For that same amount of time the RFC have ignored us..... :snidegrin

Why bother....??
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 10:31:51 AM »
Why don't you take your own advice then? :shh
WP, the only guy worth chasing at GWS might be Rory Lobb - 206cm, athletic but still a developing ruckman and might be a year or 2 away.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 10:46:16 AM »
Why don't you take your own advice then? :shh
WP, the only guy worth chasing at GWS might be Rory Lobb - 206cm, athletic but still a developing ruckman and might be a year or 2 away.
Rory Lobb is a fantastic young player and doubles up as a good forward. Doubt they'll let him go though…..

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 10:52:43 AM »
Agree Y&BB and according to WAT we shouldn't bother but stranger things have happened and if we can find a player that fills a gap to their list - perhaps a hard running squib  ;D then they might consider it
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.